• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • richpjr
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Nashville
    • Send PM

The odds of them getting a tie were by punting were much, much higher than getting a win going for it on 4th or trying a fg that was longer than the guy has ever kicked as well as being longer than what he told the coach he could make before the game.

Comment

• vinabolt
      Vietnamese Chargers' Fan
      • Feb 2015
      • Send PM

Even if that's true, football isn't like soccer where a tie is acceptable, the mentality is that you play to win the game, you don't play for the tie, that's girlie stuff, lol. You basically sending a message that you're playing not to lose, not playing to win the game. A tie in football doesn't help you much anyway.

Then again, I don't think punting has that much of a higher chance to tieing the game. The common probability here is a touchback with them starting at 25. With the way things went since the 4th quarter and OTs, the defensive players were gassed and couldn't stop anybody, you don't think KC can get to FG range in 1 min?

Go for the kill on 4th down. If you converted 10 yards, you basically win the game, as simple as that.

DEN chose to kick, but it's not like it came up short from 62 yards, he missed it left. DEN still have 2 chances to tie the game (KC needs 2 first downs and a bit more to get to FG range), but DEN defense blew it by giving up that big gain to Travis Kelce, that's the real ballgame there. Their defense gave up a play, just like they did since the final minutes of the 4th quarter.

By going for 4th down, you have a fair chance to get a win, since their defense also was gassed and haven't stop you from driving the ball, again, since the final minutes of the 4th quarter.

By going for the kick, you have low chance for a win, then you failed, but the real ballgame was when DEN D gave up that big chunk to Kelce.

By punting, you have no chance of winning and somewhat of a better chance (but not a really safe odd by any mean) to tie the game.
      Follow me and my wife here: https://twitter.com/gossip_lady_se

Comment

• richpjr
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Nashville
        • Send PM

I think we all understand the logic in the 3 choices. Bottom line is that 2 of the 3 choices had a high likelihood of resulting in a loss (and one of the choices did in fact do so). Just pointing out that tie is always better than a loss. If the season ended now, they would be out of the playoffs. They would be in the playoffs if they had a tie instead of a loss.

Comment

• vinabolt
          Vietnamese Chargers' Fan
          • Feb 2015
          • Send PM

I don't know what Kubiak think but if I were him, I don't wish I had a tie, I wish I had a win. I would wish that the ball sailed right a bit more. 62 yards sound like a lot but the kick had plenty of distance. Their kicker has enough leg to kick it from there. There was no wind. He just missed it, left. It's the accuracy that failed, not the distance or the length of the field goal.

Now, I doubt if he kick it again he can boom it again like that. That's why if I were Kubiak and has the chance of redo it, all things consider, I would went for 4th down every time. Both Kubiak and Elway after that game have said that they will always play to win. Win!

If I ever play for a tie I might as well given up football (or chess for that matter).

Yep with a half game they're getting in the playoff but that was not the last game of the regular season. That was not do or die elimination game there. There is plenty of football left. I would bet if he can redo it he would wish to go for 4th down instead, at least he would still go for the win 10 out of 10 time, however he thinks will work, 10 yards or 62 yards. I don't think he'll be that dumb again, but still, he would never punt the ball away without getting it back, no coach would do that. People don't punt the ball away and tell their defense play your ass off to protect..... the tie.
          Last edited by vinabolt; 12-02-2016, 09:35 AM.

Comment

• vinabolt
            Vietnamese Chargers' Fan
            • Feb 2015
            • Send PM

Vikings' defense looked fiery and energetic today. Maybe they dedicated this game to their head coach. Maybe they just so tired of the delusional DAL fans comparing Dak to some of the all time greats. Dak is a first year game manager who benefited greatly from the dominant running from Elliott and that dominant OL. Teams focused on stopping Elliott and the run game. I wonder how would Dak do without Elliott and that run game.

Comment

• vinabolt
              Vietnamese Chargers' Fan
              • Feb 2015
              • Send PM

I just jinx the Vikings, lol. They were playing so well in the 1st quarter.

Comment

• vinabolt
                Vietnamese Chargers' Fan
                • Feb 2015
                • Send PM

Vikes play inspired football today, impressive.

Comment

fender57
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Wow, it's like pro wrestling refereeing, didn't see it, can't call it, though it was blatantly obvious to anyone with eyes.

Comment

• richpjr
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Nashville
                    • Send PM

I really wish they'd allow penalties to be challenged by replay.

Comment

• Wheels
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • San Diego
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by 6025 View Post
                      Wow, it's like pro wrestling refereeing, didn't see it, can't call it, though it was blatantly obvious to anyone with eyes.
                      Hard to think that was anything but a "courtesy" paid to a high profile team. WWE is very apt.

Comment

• Bolt-O
                        Administrator
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

It's a new move. Hit the QB on the shoulder pad while pounding the face mask on the ref's blindside.

Comment

fender57
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post
                          It's a new move. Hit the QB on the shoulder pad while pounding the face mask on the ref's blindside.
                          Sorta like having the manager outside the ring distracting the ref while the wrestler pulls out the foreign object and knocks out his opponent.

Comment

Working...
                          X