• Show
Clear All
  • Duck of Death
    Social Piranha
    • May 2022
    • Flyover, USA
    • Send PM

Kansas City! - Chiefs Discussion

Mods, please read thru thoroughly before moving (and I’ll totally understand if you do).

First of all, this is NOT a Chiefs endorsement post, although I don’t hate them like some Bolt fans do. The reason is that we have some dear family near Kansas City who are all rabid fans. During a family visit there in 2019, a few of our relatives playfully blasted these two songs just for me, in order to salt in the fact that they had just won the Super Bowl:
    1. Kansas City by Tech N9ne
    2. Kansas City by The New Basement Tapes
    I had to laugh, and TBH both songs were honestly kinda catchy. Both are titled ‘Kansas City’ - yet they couldn’t be any more different. One is rap, while the other is more Americana/Newgrass.

Similarly, when we’re talking about Kansas City Chiefs football in the modern era (let’s say from 2000 on), we’re really talking about two completely different teams - KC before Andy Reid arrived, and KC after. My relatives definitely remember those grim years from 2000-2012. it was not a happy time there. From 2000-2012, the Chiefs were 89-129 with only 3 playoff appearances. Even the great Dick Vermeil could only manage two winning seasons during his 5 year stint there. In late 2006, Lamar Hunt passed away. His son Clark officially took over as Chairman and CEO in 2007. The first three years under Clark Hunt’s tenure, KC went 4-12, 2-14, and 4-12, respectively. After his first 6 years, KC’s overall record was 29-67 (2007-2012). KC finished 2-14 in 2012. My relatives vividly recall how there were widespread calls for the Hunts to sell the team. And fire everyone. Clark Hunt was viewed as a silver spoon spoiled brat undeserving of the title he inherited. Then Andy Reid arrived on the scene in 2013. He took over that 2-14 team (from Romeo Crennel) and promptly went 11-5 in his first year. He then drafted Pat Mahomes in 2017.

Anyways, that’s really all I wanted to say.

P.s. here are the links to those two songs. Like I said, if you can handle the repeated utterances of “Kansas City”, they both kinda get your toes tappin, albeit in different ways.

https://youtu.be/hMIzwoixvYM?si=orLcIHFGCGdO2KR8 (Tech N9ne)

https://youtu.be/-X3hdFWmerQ?si=PTHvhEbcPSUAMZ2E (New Basement Tapes)
    Last edited by Duck of Death; 01-22-2024, 02:30 PM.
  • Bolt-O
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Just so you know, I read it.

Comment

• Duck of Death
      Social Piranha
      • May 2022
      • Flyover, USA
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post
      Just so you know, I read it.
      Fair enough.

Comment

• 21&500
        Bolt Spit-Baller
        • Sep 2018
        • A Whale's Vajayjay
        • CMB refugee
        • Send PM

This reminds me, we had a Chargers superbowl playlist thread here but I can't find it.
        if someone could please send me a link to that, I'd like to keep adding.
        I'm going to continue being a pain in everyone's ass and ask everyone to contribute at least one song thats not already on that list.
        when we finally win it all, we'll drink to that playlist.

PS tech9 is okay but his music is "Pyru/Blood gang/KC Chiefs" themed. No thanks.
        G-Ro knows.

Comment

• jamrock
          lawyers, guns and money
          • Sep 2017
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Duck of Death View Post
          Mods, please read thru thoroughly before moving (and I’ll totally understand if you do).

First of all, this is NOT a Chiefs endorsement post, although I don’t hate them like some Bolt fans do. The reason is that we have some dear family near Kansas City who are all rabid fans. During a family visit there in 2019, a few of our relatives playfully blasted these two songs just for me, in order to salt in the fact that they had just won the Super Bowl:
          1. Kansas City by Tech N9ne
          2. Kansas City by The New Basement Tapes
          I had to laugh, and TBH both songs were honestly kinda catchy. Both are titled ‘Kansas City’ - yet they couldn’t be any more different. One is rap, while the other is more Americana/Newgrass.

Similarly, when we’re talking about Kansas City Chiefs football in the modern era (let’s say from 2000 on), we’re really talking about two completely different teams - KC before Andy Reid arrived, and KC after. My relatives definitely remember those grim years from 2000-2012. it was not a happy time there. From 2000-2012, the Chiefs were 89-129 with only 3 playoff appearances. Even the great Dick Vermeil could only manage two winning seasons during his 5 year stint there. In late 2006, Lamar Hunt passed away. His son Clark officially took over as Chairman and CEO in 2007. The first three years under Clark Hunt’s tunure, KC went 4-12, 2-14, and 4-12, respectively. After his first 6 years, KC’s overall record was 29-67 (2007-2012). KC finished 2-14 in 2012. My relatives vividly recall how there were widespread calls for the Hunts to sell the team. And fire everyone. Clark Hunt was viewed as a silver spoon spoiled brat undeserving of the title he inherited. Then Andy Reid arrived on the scene in 2013. He took over that 2-14 team (from Romeo Crennel) and promptly went 11-5 in his first year. He then drafted Pat Mahomes in 2017.

Anyways, that’s really all I wanted to say.

P.s. here are the links to those two songs. Like I said, if you can handle the repeated utterances of “Kansas City”, they both kinda get your toes tappin, albeit in different ways.

https://youtu.be/hMIzwoixvYM?si=orLcIHFGCGdO2KR8 (Tech N9ne)

https://youtu.be/-X3hdFWmerQ?si=PTHvhEbcPSUAMZ2E (New Basement Tapes)
          Can't help but look at them with envy. Reid has had an amazing run and turned them around before Mahomes. But Mahomes elevated them further. 6 straight AFCCG appearances says it all.

I mean just the last 2 years they've drafted and developed players at positions we really needed to draft and develop and they have quality starters contributing to deep playoff runs and we have guys that can't be active on game days. Thinking in particular of Pacheco and Rashee Rice as compared to Spiller and QJ.

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Aug 2019
            • Send PM

Then Andy Reid arrived on the scene in 2013. He took over that 2-14 team (from Romeo Crennel) and promptly went 11-5 in his first year. He then drafted Pat Mahomes in 2017.
            No, it was Veach who drafted Mahomes, and scouted him.

Comment

• Duck of Death
              Social Piranha
              • May 2022
              • Flyover, USA
              • Send PM

Originally posted by ChargersPowderBlue View Post

No, it was Veach who drafted Mahomes, and scouted him.
              Whatever the case. The broader point is that the Chiefs were 89-129 from 2000-2012. That is atrociously bad. Clark Hunt, son of Lamar took over in 2007 and went 29-67 during his first 6 years, including a 2-14 record in 2012. Again, not good. KC fans wanted his head on a platter. Then in 2013, Andy Reid arrived and initiated the dramatic turn around. Nobody thinks the Hunts are terrible owners now, but they sure as hell did back in 2012.

John Spanos was named president of football operations in 2015. The Chargers’ situation in 2024 is not all that dissimilar to the Chief’s situation in 2013.

Comment

• northerner
                Charger fan since '79
                • Mar 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

Can't help but look at them with envy. Reid has had an amazing run and turned them around before Mahomes. But Mahomes elevated them further. 6 straight AFCCG appearances says it all.

I mean just the last 2 years they've drafted and developed players at positions we really needed to draft and develop and they have quality starters contributing to deep playoff runs and we have guys that can't be active on game days. Thinking in particular of Pacheco and Rashee Rice as compared to Spiller and QJ.
                it is like a buying a fleet of cars every year, and half of them are lemons. it is impossible to be competitive

Comment

• AFboltfan
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Nov 2018
                  • Balboa Park bench
                  • Medical Simulation
                  • Send PM

I'm tired of Taylor Swift and don't want her anywhere near the Superbowl... Lamar Jackson is my only hope. KC can go eat a fat one...

Comment

• floydefisher
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jul 2013
                    • siberiacuse, ny
                    • Send PM

Whatever the case. The broader point is that the Chiefs were 89-129 from 2000-2012. That is atrociously bad. Clark Hunt, son of Lamar took over in 2007 and went 29-67 during his first 6 years, including a 2-14 record in 2012. Again, not good. KC fans wanted his head on a platter. Then in 2013, Andy Reid arrived and initiated the dramatic turn around. Nobody thinks the Hunts are terrible owners now, but they sure as hell did back in 2012.

John Spanos was named president of football operations in 2015. The Chargers’ situation in 2024 is not all that dissimilar to the Chief’s situation in 2013.
                    If the Spanos family would actually learn from their mistakes, there would be hope.

So far, I don't see that happening. They seem poised to sell next year, and that is the only hope I have.
                    sigpic

Comment

• Duck of Death
                      Social Piranha
                      • May 2022
                      • Flyover, USA
                      • Send PM

I guess I didn’t do a good job of articulating my main point. Everyone loves to bash the Spanos, while celebrating the Hunt Family as model owners. But folks don’t realize how bad things were for KC back in 2013, right before Andy Reid got there. THE HUNTS WERE WORSE THAN THE SPANOS. For over a decade, KC was consistently one of the worst teams in the NFL & much worse than the Chargers. Bad drafts, bad acquisitions, bad coaches, bad culture, etc. There were TONS of Chiefs fans treating Clark Hunt the exact same way that Charger fans like to treat John & Dean Spanos today. Now those fans have suddenly forgotten about the grim years. All it took was a good coach, a good QB, & a good GM. And it took them a while, but they got there after a LOT of bad misses. They had Romeo freaking Crennel as a HC. Look I’ve taken my shots at the Spanos’ too. And perhaps they may not be the type of folks I’d have beers with, but they probably aren’t the spawn of the devil, nor the cause of every ill in this world. There are worse owners in the league, that I guarantee.

Comment

• Charge the 21
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Aug 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Charge the 21 View Post
                        The Chiefs only remain decent because of Reid. I have always admired his offenses. However, the talent on that team is abysmal without Berry and Houston. Mahomes is literally RG3 v2. All that trickery will catch up to him now that film is on him and he'll end up somewhere in the 20-25 range among quarterbacks. Hill is the only problem on that team and he should be in prison rather than on the field.
                        I've been a complete lurker here the past few years. This thread reminded me that I made this post. Sheesh, how stupid could I have been.

Comment

Working...
                        X