• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fouts2herbert
    Charger Fan since 1978
    • Sep 2021
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

The article says Spotrac is predicting for Ekkie a 3-year deal for $22 mil...after Ek's poor production and fumblitis last season, I'll say he will be lucky to get a one year "prove it" deal...Ekkie is starting to look like Moaning Mel his last few seasons...wants more than he gets, and doesn't produce all that much...
    I'm going to celebrate if he gets that kind of money from Dallas, and not just because I want Austin to do well, but for selfish reasons, the more he gets paid the bigger the compensatory pick we get in the 2025 draft!
    "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Dec 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

The entire $250 mil is guaranteed? Well that was dumb.
      No, but enough was paid to him as a signing bonus that if the Chargers trade him now - they would take a cap hit of $110m

It is not a feasible idea

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
        Charger Fan since 1978
        • Sep 2021
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

I agree that Ekeler is likely to only get a one-year "prove-it" deal. But I don't agree with your negative perception of Ekeler. He's been a great player for the Chargers and I wish more fans would appreciate him for that, and understand that he wants to maximize his earnings while he can.
        Austin has been an ambassador for the Chargers, he has been the model of the type of 'character' guys you want to build the foundation of your team with, hardworking, clean cut guy, and kept his head down for 7 years thru some shitty teams. I'm supposed to just forget that because of what happened last year? And let's be honest here, there is collusion amongst NFL teams to depreciate the value of RBs. Also a whole lot of hypocrisy involved when you see them using the fucking FRANCHISE tag to wait them out until their bargaining power is diminished...the Franchise tag means you are trying to keep your most important player that's hitting free agency, just not important enough to merit an extension like everyone else...

I don't blame Austin or other RBs for getting pissed and something is going to have to change, perhaps the NFLPA can find a way to compensate RBs earlier in their careers when most of them play a huge vital role on their teams and completely over perform their contracts...but nobody talks about that fucking shit, right? To label Austin as a malcontent now is something I just can't do, after all the excitement and entertainment he has treated us Charger fans to? Yeah, I won't be a part of that...
        "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Dec 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

Austin has been an ambassador for the Chargers, he has been the model of the type of 'character' guys you want to build the foundation of your team with, hardworking, clean cut guy, and kept his head down for 7 years thru some shitty teams. I'm supposed to just forget that because of what happened last year? And let's be honest here, there is collusion amongst NFL teams to depreciate the value of RBs. Also a whole lot of hypocrisy involved when you see them using the fucking FRANCHISE tag to wait them out until their bargaining power is diminished...the Franchise tag means you are trying to keep your most important player that's hitting free agency, just not important enough to merit an extension like everyone else...

I don't blame Austin or other RBs for getting pissed and something is going to have to change, perhaps the NFLPA can find a way to compensate RBs earlier in their careers when most of them play a huge vital role on their teams and completely over perform their contracts...but nobody talks about that fucking shit, right? To label Austin as a malcontent now is something I just can't do, after all the excitement and entertainment he has treated us Charger fans to? Yeah, I won't be a part of that...
          The NFLPA does a terrible job representing their client as you make a good point about the franchise tag. It gives the player good income but its one year

I have never blamed Austin Ekeler for asking for a raise last offseason. That was the time to do it. I also don't blame the Chargers for not extending him at the time either.

I will say -once he asked to be traded - they should have traded him for whatever or released him.

Comment

• sonorajim
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

Ekeler was a mere shadow of his former self as a player in '23. See ya!

Comment

• blueman
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

No, but enough was paid to him as a signing bonus that if the Chargers trade him now - they would take a cap hit of $110m

TT really screwed us lol.

Comment

• blueman
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Trading Herbert would dump an ungodly amount (over a 100 million?) of dead money into this years cap, basically the team wouldn't be able to function due to the rest of the cap issues, plus Herbert has a no trade clause, and he's the single biggest reason why Haurbagh signed with the chargers, LOL!
                We can’t get by with rookies and bottom-feeder FAs? Who knew.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                  Dont let the PBs fool ya
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Henderson, NV
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

The article says Spotrac is predicting for Ekkie a 3-year deal for $22 mil...after Ek's poor production and fumblitis last season, I'll say he will be lucky to get a one year "prove it" deal...Ekkie is starting to look like Moaning Mel his last few seasons...wants more than he gets, and doesn't produce all that much...
                  I find Sportracs projections to be a little high, judging from last year projections they had. Ekie may get 3/22 but it wont be from us. Doubt he gets that anywhere really. I can see 3 /15.5 or something.

And if he gets 3/22, then no way were are affording Barkley....or should be thinking about Barkley.

Our OL stunk last season for run blocking so i dont think its so much Ekeler as it was no room to run. Ekeler has proved it already. He has been in the lague some years so he will get better than a prove it year. Just probably wont be from us.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                    Dont let the PBs fool ya
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Henderson, NV
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Herbert is playing this season on his 5th year option. But yes, another writer who has zero clue about the cap making that trade proposal.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Dec 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Herbert is playing this season on his 5th year option. But yes, another writer who has zero clue about the cap making that trade proposal.
                      Actually he isn't. They re-did his contract to lower his cap number for 2024. Thats how come he as the $110m cap hit as he got "new money"

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jul 2022
                        • White Rock, BC Canada
                        • Send PM

I think the biggest football reality is that Austin has lost a lot of his burst. He looked slow last year. He has been a great Charger, but this looks like the ideal time to move on. Time for some business decisions to build a constant winner, we cant be sentimental and keep players too long.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                          Charger Fan since 1978
                          • Sep 2021
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

We can’t get by with rookies and bottom-feeder FAs? Who knew.
                          Did you not want Harbaugh? because without Herbert there is no Harbaugh signing and he wasn't the only one lining up to coach him, Ben Johnson, Vrabel, Pete Carroll, the current coach of the broncos etc...

Comment

Working...
                          X