• Show
Clear All
  • Boltjolt
    Dont let the PBs fool ya
    • Jun 2013
    • Henderson, NV
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Actually he isn't. They re-did his contract to lower his cap number for 2024. Thats how come he as the $110m cap hit as he got "new money"
    I dont think so. His new extension was always meant to kick in after his last 2 years on his current rookie deal. Just like Derwins kicked after his 5th year option. Derwins 5th year option year was 2022.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
      Charger Fan since 1978
      • Sep 2021
      • Send PM

Originally posted by CanadianBoltFan View Post

I think the biggest football reality is that Austin has lost a lot of his burst. He looked slow last year. He has been a great Charger, but this looks like the ideal time to move on. Time for some business decisions to build a constant winner, we cant be sentimental and keep players too long.
      I said we should resign Ek? where did I say that? I wish him the best as far as how much he gets as a FA because it benefits us in the form of compensatory picks, I'm just not going to talk shit about Austin, he's been a model citizen and was probably the best RB that the Chargers have had since LT...I appreciate the guy for how he represented the brand and how much fun it was to watch him...

I've been saying for several years that this team needs a youth movement to grow with Herbert for the next 5-6 years, I'm all for trading KA too, if it were up to me they would all go and force Herbert to learn how to play with new guys because eventually KA is going to be gone anyways...
      "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Boltinloudguy
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Nov 2021
        • Send PM

I would be happy with a RB room that looked like this. I would really like to see Spiller take that next step. I think he can in this style of offense. He can run and catch out of the backfield. If he can do it, Harbaugh will get it out of him

Gus Edwards- Ground and Pound
        Isaiah Spiller- All around
        Jaylen Wright- Skat/Speed

Comment

• blueman
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

Did you not want Harbaugh? because without Herbert there is no Harbaugh signing and he wasn't the only one lining up to coach him, Ben Johnson, Vrabel, Pete Carroll, the current coach of the broncos etc...
          Sure I want both. Also Allen (which seems doable), and Mack - who I view as the only undamaged superstar on the team right now. Have not read anything about Herbert’s throwing hand, which could mean no worries. But it could also mean there is a concern and no one is letting that out. That Harbaugh signed on is a good sign about that.

I’m mostly playing devil’s advocate re the board’s Mack stance, have also not heard one argument how we get better on D without him, only how his contract impacts the cap. And pointing out, so does Herbert’s, hopefully for better not worse. Really gonna suck if he has another off year…sorry, Charger fan so no rainbows falling out of my ass lol.

Also don’t buy the argument cap relief means we field a better team somehow. I would counter that most SBs are won by teams that did exactly what TT did last year, mortgage the future to win now baby (some SBs were even won by teams that expanded on that, and cheated to high heaven..).

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jul 2022
            • White Rock, BC Canada
            • Send PM

I said we should resign Ek? where did I say that? I wish him the best as far as how much he gets as a FA because it benefits us in the form of compensatory picks, I'm just not going to talk shit about Austin, he's been a model citizen and was probably the best RB that the Chargers have had since LT...I appreciate the guy for how he represented the brand and how much fun it was to watch him...

I've been saying for several years that this team needs a youth movement to grow with Herbert for the next 5-6 years, I'm all for trading KA too, if it were up to me they would all go and force Herbert to learn how to play with new guys because eventually KA is going to be gone anyways...
            Agreed. Austin has been a good Charger. I am not down on him for his stance last year. I wish him only the best.

Also agree we need to move off of some high priced veterans

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
              Charger Fan since 1978
              • Sep 2021
              • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

Sure I want both. Also Allen (which seems doable), and Mack - who I view as the only undamaged superstar on the team right now. Have not read anything about Herbert’s throwing hand, which could mean no worries. But it could also mean there is a concern and no one is letting that out. That Harbaugh signed on is a good sign about that.

I’m mostly playing devil’s advocate re the board’s Mack stance, have also not heard one argument how we get better on D without him, only how his contract impacts the cap. And pointing out, so does Herbert’s, hopefully for better not worse. Really gonna suck if he has another off year…sorry, Charger fan so no rainbows falling out of my ass lol.
              did he tho? did he really have an awful year? a lot of teams would love to have a year like that from the QB position, the jets are a scary playoff team with 2023 herbert throwing the ball for them...the problem with herbert is he has set the bar so high that folks want him to put up madden type numbers every year and carry by himself like if football wasn't a team sport...look at the numbers, add up his averages for the complete season, and then see how it would have stacked up league-wide...and we'll just gloss over the fact that he was playing in his third system in 4 years...
              "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• blueman
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

did he tho? did he really have an awful year? a lot of teams would love to have a year like that from the QB position, the jets are a scary playoff team with 2023 herbert throwing the ball for them...the problem with herbert is he has set the bar so high that folks want him to put up madden type numbers every year and carry by himself like if football wasn't a team sport...look at the numbers, add up his averages for the complete season, and then see how it would have stacked up league-wide...and we'll just gloss over the fact that he was playing in his third system in 4 years...
                What other top 5 QB put up virtually zero 3rd quarter points, and missed as many potentially game-winning final scores as Herbert? Regardless of everybody else sucking, you got the ball in your hands at that critical time, you should do more. I’d bet the majority of Mahomes’ game-winning scores were from busted plays…just gotta be able to make $250 mil magic when it counts.

Comment

• richpjr
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Nashville
                  • Send PM

Fun fact: Mahomes has 16 game winning drives in his 7 year career to 14 in Herbert's 4 year career (and Herbert would have even more if his D could hold late leads).

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Dec 2019
                    • Send PM

Also don’t buy the argument cap relief means we field a better team somehow. I would counter that most SBs are won by teams that did exactly what TT did last year, mortgage the future to win now baby (some SBs were even won by teams that expanded on that, and cheated to high heaven..).
                    Maybe you sacrifice one Khalil Mack to fill three or four holes on the defense. Individually, the one player won't be better than mack. But collectively - they might be better than Mack + SJD + Murray + Taylor or Gilman

Just because you don't pay Khalil Mack - doesn't mean you can't pay other players. My concern with Mack as players decline as they age. He had a tremendous 2023 - but thats in the past. Have to think how he will be in 2024 and beyond. Not sure he is worth signing to the same contract he signed when he was 27 and not 33

Lastly, the team is 5-12. They haven't won a division in 15 years. As I said, they might have kept Rivers too long. Whatever it takes - -if that means blowing up the roster - I am fine with it.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                      Charger Fan since 1978
                      • Sep 2021
                      • Send PM

What other top 5 QB put up virtually zero 3rd quarter points, and missed as many potentially game-winning final scores as Herbert? Regardless of everybody else sucking, you got the ball in your hands at that critical time, you should do more. I’d bet the majority of Mahomes’ game-winning scores were from busted plays…just gotta be able to make $250 mil magic when it counts.
                      statistics already bear out that Herbert has had more put on him than any other top 5 guy, no defense to speak of and not rushing attack plus a revolving door at WR with the top guys taking turns missing huge chunks of time...it's laughable that people are demanding more when everyone saw what the team was without him, LMFAO!

Comment

• blueman
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

statistics already bear out that Herbert has had more put on him than any other top 5 guy, no defense to speak of and not rushing attack plus a revolving door at WR with the top guys taking turns missing huge chunks of time...it's laughable that people are demanding more when everyone saw what the team was without him, LMFAO!
                        With him, 5-7.

Comment

• blueman
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
                          Fun fact: Mahomes has 16 game winning drives in his 7 year career to 14 in Herbert's 4 year career (and Herbert would have even more if his D could hold late leads).
                          Lol, fair point.

Comment

Working...
                          X