• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fouts2herbert
    Charger Fan since 1978
    • Sep 2021
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

A few things - pushing money on Pipkins would be stupid. He has an out after this year that makes it easy to release him if he doesn't perform. If you push money for him, that is not as feasible the moves you make are pushing like $50m of cap to the future

Second the Chargers have decisions to make regarding MW, KA, Bosa and Mack by the third business days. Its not like they have a lot of time to make these decisions

Third - with respect to the cap - again, the cap looks good now because it shows 22 players signed to contracts. But that doesn't include two draft classes and another 25 players to fill out the roster. Plus others player like Center, Safety, TE, BackUp QB that hopefully are not minimum cost playuers

Your plan would mortgage the future more than just cutting a guy who has played 14 games in the last two years. Make him and Linsley both June 1 cuts if need be

the pipkins move is only necessary if they need to clear up another 3mil in cap space on an emergency basis just to get under the by the deadline, it's a tiny move that would push like 3 mil in dead money into 2025 if they choose to move on from him after the 2024 season...it's not even worth getting hung up about and most likely will never happen. I only mentioned Herbert, James, and Pipkins because they are the ones in position to do one of those simple restructures without hurting the team going forward, why? Because both James and Herbert are in the longterm plan and because Trey's number is so small it doesn't really do any damage. So if they were short a few mil and needed to make the move to put themselves in position to become compliant before making the big trades/moves expected with Bosa and Mack, then yes, it might come in handy in that scenario but like I said, it's such a small move that it probably won't even be necessary...

to your third point, only the top 51 salaries factor into the cap so don't worry about all the ERFAs, the RFAs, the lower round picks, and the UDRFAs, most of them don't factor into the cap at all...

"The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Dec 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

the pipkins move is only necessary if they need to clear up another 3mil in cap space on an emergency basis just to get under the by the deadline, it's a tiny move that would push like 3 mil in dead money into 2025 if they choose to move on from him after the 2024 season...it's not even worth getting hung up about and most likely will never happen. I only mentioned Herbert, James, and Pipkins because they are the ones in position to do one of those simple restructures without hurting the team going forward, why? Because both James and Herbert are in the longterm plan and because Trey's number is so small it doesn't really do any damage. So if they were short a few mil and needed to make the move to put themselves in position to become compliant before making the big trades/moves expected with Bosa and Mack, then yes, it might come in handy in that scenario but like I said, it's such a small move that it probably won't even be necessary...

to your third point, only the top 51 salaries factor into the cap so don't worry about all the ERFAs, the RFAs, the lower round picks, and the UDRFAs, most of them don't factor into the cap at all...
      yes, they do factor into the cap - look at OTC - Max Duggan counts 795k against the cap today

when you are under 51/53 players - they all count

thats why Popper wrote that the chargers are actually 55m over the cap and not 45 - because at some point, they will need to have a roster of 53 players, not the current 49 plus sign their draft class

Yes, the Chargers only need to be 1 dollar under the cap on March 15 so there are different deadlines for when they need to be cap compliant but that still doesn't mean, they don't need to find the money at some point

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
        Charger Fan since 1978
        • Sep 2021
        • Send PM

yes, they do factor into the cap - look at OTC - Max Duggan counts 795k against the cap today
        only the top 51 salaries count, don't take it from me as this can be easily verified, so once the draft happens and they fill the roster to the maximum of 90 players, the bottom 39 players are left outside the salary cap, at 795k chances are Duggan's deal will be one of those outside the top 51...
        "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Velo
          Ride!
          • Aug 2019
          • Everywhere
          • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
          • Send PM

This writer says the Cowboys are considering signing Ekeler to a FA contract and not letting Pollard go. Pollard is a back I might be interested in. Only 27 in 2024 and a career 4.8 ypc.

Comment

• blueman
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

This headline I just saw will make some folks here crap (but think of all the picks + cap relief!):

Chicago Bears Trade No. 1 Pick For Chargers’ Justin Herbert in Proposed All-Time Shocker

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Dec 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
              This headline I just saw will make some folks here crap (but think of all the picks + cap relief!):

Chicago Bears Trade No. 1 Pick For Chargers’ Justin Herbert in Proposed All-Time Shocker
              What cap relief?

Comment

• gzubeck
                Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                • Jan 2019
                • Tucson, AZ
                • Send PM

What cap relief?
                Herbert's salary I suppose.
                Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Topcat
                  AKA "Pollcat"
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
                  This writer says the Cowboys are considering signing Ekeler to a FA contract and not letting Pollard go. Pollard is a back I might be interested in. Only 27 in 2024 and a career 4.8 ypc.

https://www.si.com/nfl/cowboys/news/...ct-free-agency
                  The article says Spotrac is predicting for Ekkie a 3-year deal for $22 mil...after Ek's poor production and fumblitis last season, I'll say he will be lucky to get a one year "prove it" deal...Ekkie is starting to look like Moaning Mel his last few seasons...wants more than he gets, and doesn't produce all that much...

Comment

• Velo
                    Ride!
                    • Aug 2019
                    • Everywhere
                    • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

The article says Spotrac is predicting for Ekkie a 3-year deal for $22 mil...after Ek's poor production and fumblitis last season, I'll say he will be lucky to get a one year "prove it" deal...Ekkie is starting to look like Moaning Mel his last few seasons...wants more than he gets, and doesn't produce all that much...
                    I agree that Ekeler is likely to only get a one-year "prove-it" deal. But I don't agree with your negative perception of Ekeler. He's been a great player for the Chargers and I wish more fans would appreciate him for that, and understand that he wants to maximize his earnings while he can.

Comment

• Topcat
                      AKA "Pollcat"
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

I agree that Ekeler is likely to only get a one-year "prove-it" deal. But I don't agree with your negative perception of Ekeler. He's been a great player for the Chargers and I wish more fans would appreciate him for that, and understand that he wants to maximize his earnings while he can.
                      I was a big supporter of Ekkie until he started whining about how RB's are underpaid...then, when the Bolts bent over backwards to give him some very nice incentives, he CONTINUED to whine...THAT'S what showed a real lack of appreciation and professionalism...

Comment

• blueman
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

What cap relief?
                        The entire $250 mil is guaranteed? Well that was dumb.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                          Charger Fan since 1978
                          • Sep 2021
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

Trading Herbert would dump an ungodly amount (over a 100 million?) of dead money into this years cap, basically the team wouldn't be able to function due to the rest of the cap issues, plus Herbert has a no trade clause, and he's the single biggest reason why Haurbagh signed with the chargers, LOL!

Comment

Working...
                          X