• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • powderblueboy
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltinloudguy View Post

I can definitely see them focusing on the IDL in free agency and draft. I can even see them either keeping Fox or trying to trade Fox. He’s not their guy, so anything is up in the air. I’d take a 6th for him.

Extend and restructure Mack and sign Uche. You go into the season with Mack, Uche, Tuli and a rookie like Jasheen Davis. Not sure were they stand on Rumph either.

As far as IDL, you sign Maurice Hurst and draft either Sweat, Jenkins or Fiske in the 2nd. So you go into the season with Hurst, Tito, Matlock, Fox and a rookie. And don’t forget Okoye and Clark lurking in the background.

Edge: Mack, Tuli, Uche and J. Davis

IDL: Hurst, Fox, Tito, Matlock, Clark and either Jenkins, Sweat or Fiske
    The Ravens strategy has been to load up on DTs in the 3rd round.

If you are preparing your Charger draft board, be advised to search for DT talent there.

Comment

• blueman
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by FoutsFan View Post

Bosa performs great. He just needs to stay healthy. It will be our luck if we cut him he will play a full season going forward.
      I’ll take that bet. Cut him.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
        Smooth Operation
        • May 2017
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

The cap being the biggest factor, then restructuring Bosa and trading Mack is the best way to make the most room.
        Bosa's injury history is a concern, I will not diminish that fact. But look at what Jim did @Michigan last year... in case of another Bosa injury.

He didn't have elite edge pass rushers last year. He used Jaylen Harrell and Braiden McGregor @OLB. These guys are both solid but not elite. Often JH used his IDL on stunts to generate QB pressure. I think Morgan Fox is built to do this for JH this year. If they draft a penetrating IDL (Jenkins/Fiske/Orhorhoro/McKinley Jackson/Gabe Hall) then they have an alternative way to pressure the QB in case of a Bosa injury.

Also consider that Harbaugh used his LB's (Colson and Barrett) to bring pressure on designed blitzes. Henly was good at that in college and Derwin is very good at getting pressure on properly designed blitzes. Tuli has already proven he can pass rush. There are a number of promising (not elite) pass rushers in the 3rd and 4th rounds.

Of course, if Joey is healthy come playoffs... well then you have an elite pass rusher at your disposal.
        Solid points, Nutty.
        We do not play modern football.

Comment

• northerner
          Charger fan since '79
          • Mar 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Van Noy gave all appearances of wanting to come back with the Chargers, or anyone.
          Remember, he sat out the first 3 - 4 weeks of the season.

The salary he was playing on last year was a bargain rate.
          this is a head scratcher. how on earth did we not keep him.

Comment

• Formula 21
            The Future is Now
            • Jun 2013
            • Republic of San Diego
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

so why do yhou want to bring back a bunch of players who make a lot of money and haven't won jack shit

Not saying its their fault, meaning MW, Bosa, KA and Mack - but the fact is the fact
            they pushed a shit load of cap and they were 5-12
            It wasn’t the players. It was the coaches that were bad. And KA and Mack are flat out winners.
            Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
            The Wasted Decade is done.
            Build Back Better.

Comment

• Formula 21
              The Future is Now
              • Jun 2013
              • Republic of San Diego
              • Send PM

Originally posted by northerner View Post

this is a head scratcher. how on earth did we not keep him.
              Or other productive players looking for second contracts.
              Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
              The Wasted Decade is done.
              Build Back Better.

Comment

• Steve
                Administrator
                • Jun 2013
                • South Carolina
                • Meteorologist
                • Send PM

In the future, the Raven's method makes sense. They frequently use early to mid-round picks on pass rushers (not just edge guys), so they have players in the development pipeline. And that would be an excellent route to go. But it's not going to apply pressure this season. In terms of the salary cap, if you have guys developing and making pass-rushing a group activity, bringing the rushers in waves, and applying pressure from everywhere, including mixing in blitzing, then we can probably let guys walk rather than pay top dollar in FA. But while we have an OK pass rush line (Mack outside, Tuli and Fox inside) we don't have edge players right now.

Mack is the only true edge rusher who is anything more than average.

Tuli is going to be a good player, but he is not that special as a pass rusher yet. He is a much better run defender at this point.

Fox is mostly used as an inside player. He can be a decent run-down edge guy, but he lacks the speed and burst to get around the corner, especially on passing downs.

We have other guys I like in terms of depth guys, but we have guys like them every couple of years and I doubt any of them will develop into anything. Farmer and Allen are the only real prospects at OLB, and both are undrafted FA. Rumph hasn't done anything except flash a bit in preseason. Hollins is a 5th year player, so he is camp fodder.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Dec 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

It wasn’t the players. It was the coaches that were bad. And KA and Mack are flat out winners.
                  It wasn't all the coaches

Some of it was the players
                  some of it was the roster

Point is the same - why bring back the players that were not successful as a team - find new players; a new dynamic and chemistry
                  With respect to KA - thats fine
                  Mack - still testing the trade market combined with talking to him about a future contract

Bosa and MW -- moving on

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Dec 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

Agreed - let Joey Bosa get injured for another team

Comment

• FoutsFan
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Birmingham AL
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

I wont take that bet, see if he will take a cut first.

Comment

• FoutsFan
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Feb 2019
                        • Birmingham AL
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

It wasn't all the coaches

Some of it was the players
                        some of it was the roster

Point is the same - why bring back the players that were not successful as a team - find new players; a new dynamic and chemistry
                        With respect to KA - thats fine
                        Mack - still testing the trade market combined with talking to him about a future contract

Bosa and MW -- moving on
                        It was all on the coaches, you know that. You are a knowledgeable fan, you are just letting personal feelings cover and make excuses for Staley, Lynn, and McCoy.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Dec 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by FoutsFan View Post

I wont take that bet, see if he will take a cut first.
                          I think for it to make sense Bosa would have to take a pay cut from $22m to $8m with incentives based on games played and production.

Comment

Working...
                          X