• Show
Clear All
  • FoutsFan
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2019
    • Birmingham AL
    • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
    What I am seeing in a lot of posts is sound personnel judgements being influenced by personal hatred due to underperformance and contracts.

Jim Harbaugh and Joe Hortiz won't do that.

We should not be in a hurry to accept less than full value from any assets.

$0.02
    This! So much this, I am glad Harbaugh won’t build the roster based on emotions from a few upset TPB posters.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
      Smooth Operation
      • May 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

But the cap is a factor combined with a player who has been injured much of the last two years. So unless he takes a true pay cut, is it worth it to pay Joey Bosa $22m just because you got a 5th rounder instead of a 4th rounder? The Chargers would be banking on him being healthy this year when the last two years, he wasn't. And in 2023 - he was injured twice.

Something more than
      I'm sick of you, get out of here.

We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Bolts4ever213
        Day One...
        • Mar 2019
        • Brentwood, 94513
        • Send PM

All together, all for one… I’m good with however this front office decides to move forward with the new coach. Tough decisions will be made, money will be moved and the team will be set. Also, the lure to play for this coach may serve us even better. Guys pick coach n qb, to play with over money at some point. I hope we can keep the big four but I know it’s business.

Comment

• Boltnut
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2019
          • Send PM

But the cap is a factor combined with a player who has been injured much of the last two years. So unless he takes a true pay cut, is it worth it to pay Joey Bosa $22m just because you got a 5th rounder instead of a 4th rounder? The Chargers would be banking on him being healthy this year when the last two years, he wasn't. And in 2023 - he was injured twice.

The cap being the biggest factor, then restructuring Bosa and trading Mack is the best way to make the most room.
          Bosa's injury history is a concern, I will not diminish that fact. But look at what Jim did @Michigan last year... in case of another Bosa injury.

He didn't have elite edge pass rushers last year. He used Jaylen Harrell and Braiden McGregor @OLB. These guys are both solid but not elite. Often JH used his IDL on stunts to generate QB pressure. I think Morgan Fox is built to do this for JH this year. If they draft a penetrating IDL (Jenkins/Fiske/Orhorhoro/McKinley Jackson/Gabe Hall) then they have an alternative way to pressure the QB in case of a Bosa injury.

Also consider that Harbaugh used his LB's (Colson and Barrett) to bring pressure on designed blitzes. Henly was good at that in college and Derwin is very good at getting pressure on properly designed blitzes. Tuli has already proven he can pass rush. There are a number of promising (not elite) pass rushers in the 3rd and 4th rounds.

Of course, if Joey is healthy come playoffs... well then you have an elite pass rusher at your disposal.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Dec 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

The cap being the biggest factor, then restructuring Bosa and trading Mack is the best way to make the most room.
            Bosa's injury history is a concern, I will not diminish that fact. But look at what Jim did @Michigan last year... in case of another Bosa injury.

He didn't have elite edge pass rushers last year. He used Jaylen Harrell and Braiden McGregor @OLB. These guys are both solid but not elite. Often JH used his IDL on stunts to generate QB pressure. I think Morgan Fox is built to do this for JH this year. If they draft a penetrating IDL (Jenkins/Fiske/Orhorhoro/McKinley Jackson/Gabe Hall) then they have an alternative way to pressure the QB in case of a Bosa injury.

Also consider that Harbaugh used his LB's (Colson and Barrett) to bring pressure on designed blitzes. Henly was good at that in college and Derwin is very good at getting pressure on properly designed blitzes. Tuli has already proven he can pass rush. There are a number of promising (not elite) pass rushers in the 3rd and 4th rounds.

Of course, if Joey is healthy come playoffs... well then you have an elite pass rusher at your disposal.
            I think a lot of it could come down to trade value. The Lions were mentioned. They are in a prime position in the NFC if the defense improves. Packers should improve The Niners will be there - probably. And the Rams will probably improve. The NFC South - I don't see a team makinga big leap unless its the Falcons getting a QB. Lastly NFC East - Cowboys and Eagles will fight it out. Lions have a chance to take that next step up with an improved defense. As you know the offense will continue to get better with more continuity and what not.

I could easily see Bosa or Mack biting knee caps in Motown

Comment

• blueman
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

Something more than
              I'm sick of you, get out of here.

Okay to make decisions based on on-field performance? Allowed?

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                Moderate Skeptic
                • May 2022
                • Send PM

Yes - those are longshots to happen. Bosa would probably have to take a true pay cut

Maybe the Chargers offer $12m plus incentives... would save $10m against the cap straight. No kicking the can. Just $12m - take it or have your agent explore the market and find an offer
                The idea of putting ANY more money into Bosa's pocket makes me nauseous . . . . . . . . . . I'd rather have 3 KVN's instead . . . . . . or a few quality tackling dummys. Roster spots are too valuable to use on players who hardly ever play

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jul 2022
                  • White Rock, BC Canada
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

I have to say I am surprised to hear more and more on here that some just want to trot back the over paid 4 big guys and keep mortgaging our future cap.

Harbaugh is good, but he is not a miracle worker and we need some culture change. We have 4 players whose cap hit next year takes up a ridiculous 58% of our cap. With these players we went 5-12. With the most expensive defense we ranked 28th. 2 of the 4 are never on the field. Mack who performs is about to be 33. Allen resign and keep him sure, that makes sense.

There needs to be some changes on this roster and we need our cap healthy for 2025 and beyond.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                    Moderate Skeptic
                    • May 2022
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by FoutsFan View Post

This! So much this, I am glad Harbaugh won’t build the roster based on emotions from a few upset TPB posters.

Hmmmm . . . . . . . . fool me once - shame on you. Fool me twice - I'm an idiot. What would fool me 3 times be??? My main problem with Joey is that he's not reliable or a difference maker. Haven't we been down this road enough times? We need more of a return on our investment than we've gotten - it's time to move on . . . . . . . . .

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Dec 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by CanadianBoltFan View Post

I have to say I am surprised to hear more and more on here that some just want to trot back the over paid 4 big guys and keep mortgaging our future cap.

Harbaugh is good, but he is not a miracle worker and we need some culture change. We have 4 players whose cap hit next year takes up a ridiculous 58% of our cap. With these players we went 5-12. With the most expensive defense we ranked 28th. 2 of the 4 are never on the field. Mack who performs is about to be 33. Allen resign and keep him sure, that makes sense.

There needs to be some changes on this roster and we need our cap healthy for 2025 and beyond.
                      preach it!!!

I can make arguments of keeping mack based on his play this year

Keeping Bosa and Williams - makes no sense. If Bosa brings back a 5th or 6th round pick; so be it. I think Mack to the Lions makes a lot of sense for one of their 3rds.

Team would have a boat load of cap space, ten draft picks. Maybe with the monies allocated for Mack - you can sign Justin M from the Ravens. Looking at the Hargraves deal 90/4. But what would Mack probably want for three years 65/3 or something

Comment

• Berserker76
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Nov 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by CanadianBoltFan View Post

Thank you.

Comment

• blueman
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Again, if cap is the issue why isn’t there a big 5, just include Herbert and say that you want to keep him, it’s okay.

In terms of on-field performance, both Mack and Allen, in that order, have shown their respective value, even factoring in Allen’s numerous dings both tiny and kinda big. Worth the money over any suggested on non-suggested alternatives. Moving on from a top 5 EDGE just makes no sense to me, but whatevs.

Building depth never goes away, but I would not sacrifice the demonstrated top production of a starter to do so. Use the draft picks we’ve got!

Best plan to build for the future:

Draft McCarthy or best QB available at #5.

Trade Herbert and the other four for picks and picks and picks - Herbert alone should net multiple first rounders, are you guys not drooling over that? And there you go, future all taken care of, right? If that’s the goal, kinda doubt Harbaugh wants to go that route so I guess keep Herbert even after a couple off years plus injuries…

Lose now to (maybe) win later, would be the team slogan.

Comment

Working...
                          X