• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bolt4Knob
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Dec 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

there will be no compensatory picks for Joey Bosa, he still has two years left on his deal 2024 and 2025, so the deal that the chargers made with him was to push his roster bonus from this season to 2025, they added the 7mil roster bonus from 2024 to the 8mil roster bonus from 2025, creating a massive 15mil roster bonus on the very first day of business in 2025, so he will be cut, it's a 100% certainty, the team is not going to pay him a 15mil signing bonus and then a 17mil season salary, that would eat about 32mil in cap space on one player...so because they HAVE to cut him he will not be eligible to net the chargers a 2026 comp pick...

Joey's so called pay cut was just a postponement of his roster bonus from this year to next which guaranteed him his 2024 15mil dollar salary, Joey knew that if the chargers cut him he was not going to come anywhere near 15 mil in 2024 free agency due to his injury history, the team gets what should be a one year contract year Joey in the teams thinking a player motivated to re-establishing himself and prepare himself for free agency in 2025...so from Hortiz and Harbaugh's perspective they saved the roster bonus and stopped the bleeding on the roster as there were too many holes to fill already...Harbaugh and Joe are gambling that Joey will be playing his ass off so he can get another big contract in 2025 but it's not going to come from the Chargers...that Bonus also makes him almost untradeable too, what would a team give for him knowing that he's guaranteed to make 32 mil in 2025?

so yeah, the chargers will get nothing more than Joey's services for 2024, no comps, no trade compensation, nothing...he can go out and have a monster year and I still don't think the chargers will come to the bargaining table to give him an extension, he's been too injury prone throughout his career...
    Its actually a 12.36m roster bonus and $13m salary for a total of $25.3m+ - his cap hit would be 36m as he already will have $11m of dead

I am going to say it - I think its 50/50 that both Bosa and Mack are Chargers after the NFL trade deadline

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
      Charger Fan since 1978
      • Sep 2021
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Its actually a 12.36m roster bonus and $13m salary for a total of $25.3m+ - his cap hit would be 36m as he already will have $11m of dead

I am going to say it - I think its 50/50 that both Bosa and Mack are Chargers after the NFL trade deadline
      I said nothing about the trade deadline, that's a whole other argument...I merely predicted that this will be Joey's last season as a Charger and that there is a slim chance that Mack returns in 2025...as for what you brought up about the deadline, I'm not sure that the chargers have the cap room to take on the cap hit on either guy in a trade, how does that work in the middle of the season? obviously less of the $ would be dead cap hit due to salary already paid but I still wonder if they would even be able to pull it off or if the return compensation would be worth it...I think they both finish the 2024 season in a bolt uniform, but I'd love to hear the reasons why you think there's a 50/50 chance one of them gets traded before the deadline...I'm not sure Hortiz is going to trade one of these guys for something small like a 6th rounder or something like that, but I guess you never know...
      "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Boltnut
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

The big deal is Harbaugh and his vision for the Chargers. Justin Herbert is the central figure.
        The OL, the run game, the diverse WR, TE, RB/FB receivers and ball carriers are there to support him. The defense is there to give him more and better chances.
        So, yes I'm not worried about a #1 receiver. I like the idea of him spreading the ball around to a bunch of quality players with different strengths.
        I believe the Chargers will win more games than most currently suspect.
        I agree. I'm not so worried about a "#1 WR" though.
        Everyone will feed... and that makes us a better team. Less predictability on offense will make us harder to stop. Less predictability on defense will play to our advantages, too. Harbaugh and his coaching staff ARE the big deal. I expect 11-6 or 12-5 and a playoff berth in a competitive AFC.

Comment

• colorado
          Fan since '62
          • Jun 2023
          • Desert Rat
          • Nothing but time on my hands
          • Send PM

The draft and Free Agency you must admit, it's made us look like a more rounded out team. If the hold overs and newbees jell I'd say we could be an 11-6 team if not better. Much better chances than last year's team...NO DOUBT

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
            Charger Fan since 1978
            • Sep 2021
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

I agree. I'm not so worried about a "#1 WR" though.
            Everyone will feed... and that makes us a better team. Less predictability on offense will make us harder to stop. Less predictability on defense will play to our advantages, too. Harbaugh and his coaching staff ARE the big deal. I expect 11-6 or 12-5 and a playoff berth in a competitive AFC.
            Considering Harbaugh's track record and the fact that Justin Herbert is still under center, I don't think expecting a 10 plus win team is unrealistic...
            "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Dec 2019
              • Send PM

I said nothing about the trade deadline, that's a whole other argument...I merely predicted that this will be Joey's last season as a Charger and that there is a slim chance that Mack returns in 2025...as for what you brought up about the deadline, I'm not sure that the chargers have the cap room to take on the cap hit on either guy in a trade, how does that work in the middle of the season? obviously less of the $ would be dead cap hit due to salary already paid but I still wonder if they would even be able to pull it off or if the return compensation would be worth it...I think they both finish the 2024 season in a bolt uniform, but I'd love to hear the reasons why you think there's a 50/50 chance one of them gets traded before the deadline...I'm not sure Hortiz is going to trade one of these guys for something small like a 6th rounder or something like that, but I guess you never know...
              They would have the same cap hit as the dead cap in 2025 would just hit the 2025 salary cap - these would be post June 1 trades. So nothing would happen for 2024 unless they were to trade Bosa and some team take his salary

the reason I think there is a 50/50 that one could be traded as JH2 are not just thinking about 2024 (which was the mistake John, Tom and Brandon did at the deadline this last year ) - if they are 4-5 at the deadline - why wouldn't you look to trade a player and get value for that player

You have already mentioned you think this might be Bosa's last year - as they won't pay him $25m in 2025 - so if you are under .500, trade him and get value. Same as Mack. The contracts are structured to be easily tradeable. So you mention a sixth rounder -- that would be better than nothing. Again - if they are not in your long term plans and you are not in a position to WIN the Super Bowl - get value for one or both. I don't need to feel good about myself and finish 9-8

Comment

• gzubeck
                Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                • Jan 2019
                • Tucson, AZ
                • Send PM

They would have the same cap hit as the dead cap in 2025 would just hit the 2025 salary cap - these would be post June 1 trades. So nothing would happen for 2024 unless they were to trade Bosa and some team take his salary

the reason I think there is a 50/50 that one could be traded as JH2 are not just thinking about 2024 (which was the mistake John, Tom and Brandon did at the deadline this last year ) - if they are 4-5 at the deadline - why wouldn't you look to trade a player and get value for that player

You have already mentioned you think this might be Bosa's last year - as they won't pay him $25m in 2025 - so if you are under .500, trade him and get value. Same as Mack. The contracts are structured to be easily tradeable. So you mention a sixth rounder -- that would be better than nothing. Again - if they are not in your long term plans and you are not in a position to WIN the Super Bowl - get value for one or both. I don't need to feel good about myself and finish 9-8
                Man...if we are 4-5 something has gone terribly wrong with this team regardless of Bosa... that means a lot of our rookies are just too green or we missed on several of our picks...this is a Staley type of wheels flying off the bus moment. LOL!

Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Topcat
                  AKA "Pollcat"
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

Everybody feeds. I don't expect to see any Chargers' WR over 1,000 yards. But I do expect to see most of them with 600+ yards. This will be the no-name offense. People here will hate it.
                  Yep...no more ahem, SOME receivers yelling at Herbie: "Aw, come on, man! I was open!"

This is a TEAM game. And we win a SB as a TEAM...

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                    Charger Fan since 1978
                    • Sep 2021
                    • Send PM

If Harbaugh starts the season 4-5 and it seems to be going nowhere then I guess I agree with your line of thinking, but DAMN, I'm hoping for much more than that in year one, maybe I need to tone down my expectations for year one...wow, you really think things are going to be that bad in year one?

as for getting 6th round picks for guys like Mack and Bosa, I guess if the season is lost but how many 6th rounders do we need in 2025? they already have their own 6th, the 6th swapped with NE in the JC Jackson trade and they are scheduled to receive three additional 6th rounders in compensatory picks...as of right now the Chargers already have 11 draft picks in the 2025 draft and they might get a fourth compensatory pick (a 7th rounder) for Michael Davis once the formula is updated and Fulton is removed from the list of qualifying free agents which would bring their total to 12 draft choices before making any additional trades...that would be their top five picks, five 6th rounders, and two 7th rounders...

I fail to see the need to trade those guys for another couple of low round picks...

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Dec 2019
                      • Send PM

If Harbaugh starts the season 4-5 and it seems to be going nowhere then I guess I agree with your line of thinking, but DAMN, I'm hoping for much more than that in year one, maybe I need to tone down my expectations for year one...wow, you really think things are going to be that bad in year one?

as for getting 6th round picks for guys like Mack and Bosa, I guess if the season is lost but how many 6th rounders do we need in 2025? they already have their own 6th, the 6th swapped with NE in the JC Jackson trade and they are scheduled to receive three additional 6th rounders in compensatory picks...as of right now the Chargers already have 11 draft picks in the 2025 draft and they might get a fourth compensatory pick (a 7th rounder) for Michael Davis once the formula is updated and Fulton is removed from the list of qualifying free agents which would bring their total to 12 draft choices before making any additional trades...that would be their top five picks, five 6th rounders, and two 7th rounders...

I fail to see the need to trade those guys for another couple of low round picks...
                      Of course I am hoping for 6-3 or 7-2 -- just stating what could happen

Last year the Chargers were 2-2 at the bye and lost to Dallas and KC and I thought should have been sellers. They beat the Bears with Bagent at QB and that lousy Jets team before the bye and were 4-4. Now of course Staley or Telesco wasn't going to trade players -- they knew they were on the hot seat. Harbaugh and Hortz don't have that issue - they are here for the big picture

Again, you are ONLY trading Mack or Bosa if you are not in the playoff picture and you have no plans to keep them after the year. So you would rather release them for nothing than get a draft pick. And by the way, the way the Mack contract is set up - a contender could trade a 4th for him. Now, I hope they ball out and are 6-3 at the deadline. Or better!

I just am not making record predictions this year - I am just going to let the season happen. But I am looking forward to the season as for the first time since Butler and Marty, I see a vision for roster building

Comment

• Xenos
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Feb 2019
                        • Send PM

Edge depth!

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                          Day Tripper
                          • May 2019
                          • North of the Lagoon
                          • Send PM

They should bundle 6s and 7s to either get higher pick(s) or move up earlier the picks they have. There is little need to draft 7 guys in Rds 6-7 when at most the roster will have room for maybe 3? Better to upgrade earlier picks to improve choices where it matters.
                          “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

Working...
                          X