• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fouts2herbert
    Charger Fan since 1978
    • Sep 2021
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

The Chargers could sign Simmons to a multi year deal that would lower his cap number this year but have him for two years ... As for Pipkins - I do like the depth at OT

But as much as I have been pushing the Simmons signing - - I do think pragmatically, Chark + Dupree + $3-4m Safety is better for the team than one Justin Simmons. And if Simmons gets around 8-9m - the Chargers are getting three players for one Justin Simmons
    they have their big dawg in the secondary already, signing Simmons to longterm deal with low cap hit in 2024 would signify to me that a plan is in place to move on from James next offseason...I think what they are doing is going after 2nd and 3rd tier guys that make less money but that they can stack on the roster for experienced quality depth, so who else is out there that is a Gilman type? that's probably the type of guy that they'll bring in if they sign another safety...
    "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
      Moderate Skeptic
      • May 2022
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

the team is already slated to have five picks in round 6 and one in and potentially two more in round 7, if they do trade pipkins it could be for more if the team is desperate for a RT with starting experience, plus with all those late round picks I can see the Chargers packaging Pipkins and say that 7th we got from the browns for maybe a 4rth or 5th rounder...but that would require one of the UDFAs really stepping up or perhaps Sarrell making a big jump this year...while his salary put him on my short list of guys to get traded, there is a good chance that the team just keeps him as experienced depth in 2024...
      I'd use the extra picks to leverage a higher selection: Pipkins + 2 6th rounders for a 3rd . . . . . . . . . . . .

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
        Charger Fan since 1978
        • Sep 2021
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post

I'd use the extra picks to leverage a higher selection: Pipkins + 2 6th rounders for a 3rd . . . . . . . . . . . .
        you never know, if a team is desperate enough they might make a deal like that, I'm against 'bundling' picks as the term bundle implies you are giving up more for less and I don't want our GM trading more picks for less, I thought that the trade up for Ladd was indicative of how Hortiz is going to conduct business, he'll still retain the same number of overall selections but still got his trade up...what he paid to trade up to make that pick was probably one of the best bargains of the day in day two, he got a top three 5th rounder for a top ten 4rth rounder in exchange for the move up...
        "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• blueman
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

It's obvious that Pipkins is not in the longterm plan any longer, so it's okay to ease off a bit, no GM fail, they are creating depth and barring a trade, they are stuck with his salary for this year but that won't be the case in 2025...I have Trey on my short list of guys that could get moved before final roster cutdowns or during the season...

Palmer, Samuel, Jaimes, Pipkins, and Fox could all get traded before or perhaps even during the season...moving Trey would create like 6mil in space, Palmer, Samuel, and Fox all would create around 3mil, Jaimes around 1.25mil...
          Yeah, was being knee-jerky. And realistically if we’re stuck with Pip’s contract this year, after everything that’s gone down already, we are waaaaaay to the plus side.

Comment

• Topcat
            AKA "Pollcat"
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

The Chargers could sign Simmons to a multi year deal that would lower his cap number this year but have him for two years ... As for Pipkins - I do like the depth at OT

But as much as I have been pushing the Simmons signing - - I do think pragmatically, Chark + Dupree + $3-4m Safety is better for the team than one Justin Simmons. And if Simmons gets around 8-9m - the Chargers are getting three players for one Justin Simmons
            ^ This...even though I like Simmons, he may be a bit too expensive for us when we are still trying to watch our budget...there ARE some decent FA free safeties out there...sign one for that $3-4 mil as u suggest and JT WoodWhiffy sits on the bench...or gets beat out by one of the guys in camp...

Comment

• Topcat
              AKA "Pollcat"
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

I'd still rather have Pip as a backup rather than someone like Storm...

Comment

• SBbound
                Casual fanatic
                • Feb 2019
                • Merced/San Diego
                • Send PM

Looks like the Chargers are hosting the Titans Thanksgiving evening.
                Also at Vegas week 18.

Comment

• 21&500
                  Bolt Spit-Baller
                  • Sep 2018
                  • A Whale's Vajayjay
                  • CMB refugee
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by SBbound View Post
                  Looks like the Chargers are hosting the Titans Thanksgiving evening.
                  Also at Vegas week 18.
                  You mean, Thanksgiving weekend?
                  2024: Far From Over

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                    Moderate Skeptic
                    • May 2022
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

I'd still rather have Pip as a backup rather than someone like Storm...
                    True . . . . . . . . but Salyer is potentially better than both (at Tackle). I think we could get away with trading Pip unless he just kills it at guard in TC. I'd trade Pip for a better than average DT in a new York minute . . . . . . .

Comment

• SBbound
                      Casual fanatic
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Merced/San Diego
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

You mean, Thanksgiving weekend?
                      No Thanksgiving day, 5:20 PST

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                        Smooth Operation
                        • May 2017
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

Yeah, was being knee-jerky. And realistically if we’re stuck with Pip’s contract this year, after everything that’s gone down already, we are waaaaaay to the plus side.
                        Excellent TPB terminology...

Maybe we do play modern football.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                          Day Tripper
                          • May 2019
                          • North of the Lagoon
                          • Send PM

True . . . . . . . . but Salyer is potentially better than both (at Tackle). I think we could get away with trading Pip unless he just kills it at guard in TC. I'd trade Pip for a better than average DT in a new York minute . . . . . . .
                          OL depth is no longer valued at TPB. SMH. You’re not getting a Chris Smith at DT, have you looked at who is left on the FA wire? Who do you want?

Sorted by Walter’s rating …
                          ———————
                          Cox - 33 yo
                          Harris - 33 yo
                          Jenkins - 35 yo
                          Watkins - 30 yo
                          and we’re back to Nick Williams, former 2023 LA Charger …
                          “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

Working...
                          X