• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ghost of Quacksaw
    Beef Before Gazelles
    • May 2021
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

If Stick were to start every game this season with our O mostly intact, I think he's good enough to win us maybe 8-9 games...with Herbie starting, we're good for about 11-14 games...that's the difference...
    You think?!? I'd say Stick's ceiling was 6 wins. Which would mean a 6-11 season. Which, by anybody's standards, is bad.

Comment

• Topcat
      AKA "Pollcat"
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post

You think?!? I'd say Stick's ceiling was 6 wins. Which would mean a 6-11 season. Which, by anybody's standards, is bad.
      If Stick was playing under Staley, u might be right, though I would say 6-8 wins maybe. But Stick under Harbo would fare better. Remember, it was Harbo who designed an offense to minimize Kaepernick's liabilities, and made it roll good enough to get the Niners to the SB in 2012...

Comment

• wu-dai clan
        Smooth Operation
        • May 2017
        • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post
        Agree with you for the most part but, I remain apprehensive regarding the DL and the CB. I see no reason to expect big change to the CB's. The FA CB they brought in has an injury history and other than Asante, the rest of the CB's have little to no experience.

I haven't been biking in about 75 years. I can't even walk without help.
        I do watch detective stories and listen to country music.
        Hey 'Roo !
        I was pleasantly surprised by Hinton in '23.
        We will go for a lot of different looks up front in '24, including frequent NASCAR packages.
        DBs are a possibility IMV, later.
        First we will see what we already got, and give young players a chance to show.
        It is great to see you are truckin' along with your hobbies, Sir.
        I enjoy the fresh air, scenary, and light- medium exercise on the many Bay Area trails.
        Balance.
        Mental health.
        Spiritual.
        Maybe we do play modern football.

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
          Beef Before Gazelles
          • May 2021
          • Send PM

If Stick was playing under Staley, u might be right, though I would say 6-8 wins maybe. But Stick under Harbo would fare better. Remember, it was Harbo who designed an offense to minimize Kaepernick's liabilities, and made it roll good enough to get the Niners to the SB in 2012...
          Kaep isn't really a good comparison for Stick, who is smaller and the lesser athlete. Kaepernick was also a 2nd round draft pick, so obviously seen at the time of his drafting as considerably more NFL worthy a prospect than Stick, who was drafted in afterthought territory.

As you're aware, Harbaugh accomplished his highest heights as a 49er with Alex Smith as his QB. Smith, who-- while he had absolutely underwhelmed up to that point of his career-- had been the first overall pick of his draft class. In other words, Harbaugh had a FAR better 'canvas' to work with, in A.Smith and Kaep than we're talking about with E.Stick. Night and Day. Black and White. Dick and Jane.

I don't begrudge you your Kool Aid, brother... but it *is* Kool Aid you're drinking if you believe, essentially, that Stick's primary deficit is that he was held back by Staley.

And you, personally, above most others here on TPB-- (I'm saying you're not in a 'class by yourself', but if it was a competition? You'd medal!)-- are famously quick to excoriate Telesco's draft history with the Chargers. That draft history includes Easton Stick, so it leaves me to conclude that you're... you know... smokin' the *good stuff* here. Enjoy your buzz, my friend!

Comment

• wu-dai clan
            Smooth Operation
            • May 2017
            • Send PM

The problem regarding DBs is that we already have committed to Derwin and that contract.

The good Safeties (Simmons, Hyde...) and their agents see the contract Antoine Winfield Jr just signed and will not budge.

The Chargers will wait and wait, maybe into the season.
            Maybe we do play modern football.

Comment

• Riverwalk
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Nov 2021
              • Send PM

I don’t think that’s the Stick pride you think it is because you’re suggesting Harbaugh can make any JAG QB successful.

Comment

• Boltnut
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Feb 2019
                • Send PM

Adrian Amos is a guy I've always liked. Should be a good, cheaper, add for a team.

Comment

• Topcat
                  AKA "Pollcat"
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post

Kaep isn't really a good comparison for Stick, who is smaller and the lesser athlete. Kaepernick was also a 2nd round draft pick, so obviously seen at the time of his drafting as considerably more NFL worthy a prospect than Stick, who was drafted in afterthought territory.

As you're aware, Harbaugh accomplished his highest heights as a 49er with Alex Smith as his QB. Smith, who-- while he had absolutely underwhelmed up to that point of his career-- had been the first overall pick of his draft class. In other words, Harbaugh had a FAR better 'canvas' to work with, in A.Smith and Kaep than we're talking about with E.Stick. Night and Day. Black and White. Dick and Jane.

I don't begrudge you your Kool Aid, brother... but it *is* Kool Aid you're drinking if you believe, essentially, that Stick's primary deficit is that he was held back by Staley.

And you, personally, above most others here on TPB-- (I'm saying you're not in a 'class by yourself', but if it was a competition? You'd medal!)-- are famously quick to excoriate Telesco's draft history with the Chargers. That draft history includes Easton Stick, so it leaves me to conclude that you're... you know... smokin' the *good stuff* here. Enjoy your buzz, my friend!
                  I haven't smoked that stuff for years...but back to your points which are well taken...look, I'm not a big Stick fan--I felt it was a wasted pick when you can pick up a decent backup QB in FA for a relatively cheap price...or just sign a UDFA and see how well he does in camp...I'm just making the hypothetical point that Stick would do better under Harbo than under Staley...now, would Stick under Harbo do as well as Kaeppie under Harbo in 2012? Probably not, as you correctly surmise...

Comment

• Topcat
                    AKA "Pollcat"
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
                    The problem regarding DBs is that we already have committed to Derwin and that contract.

The good Safeties (Simmons, Hyde...) and their agents see the contract Antoine Winfield Jr just signed and will not budge.

The Chargers will wait and wait, maybe into the season.
                    Yep...wait until at least one of the mid-level free safeties, (or maybe even one of the higher-levels) still isn't signed, then lowers his salary requirements to a Trader Joe team friendly level...

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
                      Beef Before Gazelles
                      • May 2021
                      • Send PM

I haven't smoked that stuff for years...but back to your points which are well taken...look, I'm not a big Stick fan--I felt it was a wasted pick when you can pick up a decent backup QB in FA for a relatively cheap price...or just sign a UDFA and see how well he does in camp...I'm just making the hypothetical point that Stick would do better under Harbo than under Staley...now, would Stick under Harbo do as well as Kaeppie under Harbo? Probably not, as you correctly surmise...
                      That's pretty much overstating the glaringly transparent, isn't it, Captain Obvious? lol

I mean... Is there ANYbody that would do better under Staley than Harbaugh? It could make a great stand up routine-- a comic explaining why a player would perform BETTER under Brandon Staley.

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
                        Beef Before Gazelles
                        • May 2021
                        • Send PM

I haven't smoked that stuff for years......
                        Okay, well NOW I understand why you like puns!

Comment

• sonorajim
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

There's a lot of talk here about Stick looking bad against our DBs. Maybe you are underestimating both. Stick isn't horrible and neither are they.

Regardless, In Harbaugh and Hortiz I trust.

Comment

Working...
                          X