• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Boltnut
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
    I just don't think we are going to throw enough for anyone to challenge JJ's rookie season.
    In Junior High School sandlot games across San Diego County... everyone was JJ.
    All routes were run toward the coffin corner so as to make one-handed, toe-tapping, TD grabs.

Comment

• Charge!
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Aug 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by QuiteFrankly View Post
      It's been quite a long time if ever that I have seen such hype about a smallish receiver with 4.3 speed. I mean Tyreek Hill comes to mind as a fantastic smaller fast guy with great hands...he was rated 5.1 in this rating by NFL Draft profile:

The perfect prospect
      7.3-7.5
      Perennial All-Pro
      7.0-7.1
      Pro Bowl talent
      6.7-6.9
      Year 1 starter
      6.5-6.6
      Boom-or-bust potential
      6.40-6.49
      Will become good starter within two years
      6.30-6.39
      Will eventually be plus starter
      6.20-6.29
      Will eventually be average starter
      6.10-6.19
      Good backup with the potential to develop into starter
      6.0-6.09
      Traits or talent to be above-average backup
      5.80-5.99
      Average backup or special-teamer
      5.60-5.69
      Candidate for bottom of roster or practice squad
      5.50-5.59
      Priority undrafted free agent
      No grade

​​​Hill was drafted by the Kansas City Chiefs as the 165th pick in the fifth round of the 2016 NFL draft.​ Ladd is a 6.4...

But jeez all the hype? I dunno I am thinking he will be something like Danny Woodhead, Wes Welker, and Julian Edelman who did make plays...but that was Tom Brady.

Like I have said in other posts...Herbert has not shown me he can make throws like Brady. But I do think he will improve under Harbaugh.

So let's hope for the best...they must see something in him. But I don't think he is a Tyreek Hill. I am liking Rice.
      Ladd is bigger than those guys with 4.3 speed and ridiculous change of direction and rout running ability........ and the rules today allow receivers to almost not be touched...... Hill dropped because of other issues and grew up under reids coaching....

Comment

• wu-dai clan
        Smooth Operation
        • May 2017
        • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

You and hundreds of others. All guessing, projecting, speculating, gesticulating, ruminating, cogitating and hoping
        Prognosticating...
        Summer of Slathering...
        Last edited by wu-dai clan; 05-26-2024, 04:22 PM.
        Maybe we do play modern football.

Comment

• sonorajim
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
          I just don't think we are going to throw enough for anyone to challenge JJ's rookie season.
          To one player doesn't seem likely ...but if no one can stop him? We'll see.

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
            Beef Before Gazelles
            • May 2021
            • Send PM

So the Chargers made a trade with the Patriots to move up from #37 overall to #34 overall, where they selected Ladd McConkey. Hortiz apparently feared that either Atlanta (35th pick) or Washington (36th pick) would either select McConkey, or trade their pick to a team that *would*.

Neither ATL or WSH took a wideout. In fact, both took defensive tackles-- Ruke Ohorhoro, and Johnny Newton, respectively.

Is anybody in the forum here aware of any specific 'threats' that caused Joe Hortiz to trade up? Any rumors of teams trying to move up to select McConkey?

Comment

• Formula 21
              The Future is Now
              • Jun 2013
              • Republic of San Diego
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post
              So the Chargers made a trade with the Patriots to move up from #37 overall to #34 overall, where they selected Ladd McConkey. Hortiz apparently feared that either Atlanta (35th pick) or Washington (36th pick) would either select McConkey, or trade their pick to a team that *would*.

Neither ATL or WSH took a wideout. In fact, both took defensive tackles-- Ruke Ohorhoro, and Johnny Newton, respectively.

Is anybody in the forum here aware of any specific 'threats' that caused Joe Hortiz to trade up? Any rumors of teams trying to move up to select McConkey?
              I’m not sure they’re were any threats, but given our desperate needs for a playmaker at WR, trading up seems like a prudent move. Especially for a cheap pick swap.
              Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
              The Wasted Decade is done.
              Build Back Better.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                Smooth Operation
                • May 2017
                • Send PM

McConkey hatred.
                Make it stop.
                Maybe we do play modern football.

Comment

• LarryAW
                  Chargers fan since 1970
                  • Sep 2018
                  • Chula Vista, CA
                  • retired paralegal/court reporter
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
                  McConkey hatred.
                  Make it stop.
                  100% + it’s about the overall team and not just the WR receiver.

1. The Chargers traded their #37 for the Patriots’ pick.
                  2. The Patriots drafted WR Ja’Lynn Polk from Washington with our former pick.

THEY were the threat to select Ladd.

Comment

• Topcat
                    AKA "Pollcat"
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

I'm thinking Trader Joe got some intel that one of the teams ahead of them was targeting Ladd...these GM's have friends/spies everywhere, I'm sure...the fact that the Falcons and Commanders didn't pick a wideout tells me that since Ladd was off the board, they went to the next BPA, regardless of position...and by the way, Trader Joe/DeCosta with the Ravens RARELY traded up...it was usually a trade-down...so it must have been some seriously credible intel they got...so, they still had the same # of picks, just a lower one...now, had this been TT, I'll bet he would have traded away a 4th rounder and a next year's 5th to move up...

Comment

• chargeroo
                      Fan since 1961
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Oregon
                      • Retired Manager/Pastor
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post
                      John Jefferson R 1978: 56 catches-1001 yds- avg 17.9- TDs 13. I had to look. That's a tough rookie record to break. Alworth was 10- 226- 22.6- 3
                      In Alworth's rookie season, they had a QB problem and they had two great RB's (lowe and Lincoln) McConkey, like Lance, may not get as many chances as JJ got.
                      THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• LarryAW
                        Chargers fan since 1970
                        • Sep 2018
                        • Chula Vista, CA
                        • retired paralegal/court reporter
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

they still have some of that money that they can use on more 1 year deals to improve the team even further and I agree with you that they have improved the roster depth significantly already, maybe they didn't get big name guys but everyone that they signed is a scheme fit, no more throwing darts in the dark, these are all smart additions at very modest prices, it's all about putting together a better TEAM of players instead of concentrating all the $ on 5-7 big name guys...I love this approach and I can't wait to see it bear fruit on the field...
                        The last time I looked at OTC, the Chargers have just under $19.4M in effective cap space (51 + Draft picks)). What we don’t know is how much they want for in-season purposes.

BTW, I’m very glad to hear you’re more optimistic than most. That’s a key to a happy life.

Comment

• Boltnut
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Send PM

New England took a WR @#37 (Jaylin Polk). Either NE thought we were going DT (considering the #35 and #36 pick)... or they thought Polk was as good as McConkey. Maybe Trader Joe thought NE would take McConkey... Pretty shrewd if that is true.

Comment

Working...
                          X