• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BoltUp InLA
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Sep 2020
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Charge! View Post

I agree with that partially, but Ladd McConkey is going to light it up!... he has KA's rout running ability but with elite quickness and speed....

Our defense cannot stop him so far.... which also means our defense needs better DB's..... lol
    but Ladd McConkey is special and will be competing for ORY...... he will have a huge impact on this run/power focussed team....

Chargers fans are many times too obsessed with existing Chargers players... KA will not do well in Chicago with a rookie QB and freezing weather.....

the Chargers WR group will be better, more talented, and deeper than past years...... when previous coaches ignored younger players because they assumed the best players were the 2 older WR's.... and never coached the younger players and kept the old guys as starters without any competition.....

Chargers have had a history or resigning and giving big money to players that were not deserving of it.....

KA was very good here and we foerced the ball to him....but it does not mean someone else cannot do that or more? KA did get shut down by the top CB's.....

That is why we needed more speed and more talent at that position..... it was not purely about money.... if it were just about money there is always a way to work the salary cap.....

Harbaugh and company saw enough flaws to not mess up the cap to keeo him....
    I agree as well. I love KA and Mike Williams, but I think speedier wide receivers work in the favor more with Herbert.

KA had two of the most prolific QBs throwing to him during his time with the Chargers, which he greatly benefitted from no doubt. If you can consistently get open, Herbert will find you. My only concern with Ladd iare injuries that KA battled with early on in his career, but otherwise, it was such a brilliant move to snag an advance route runner with matching athleticism. He should complement this offense very well!

Comment

• Chargers8491
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Apr 2022
      • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

KA has a shot at HOF, he's been that good. So I don't really care about the is or isnt debate, it doesnt matter.

KA has in fact lost a step from his very best days. he gets less separation, minimal YAC. Herbert went to him constantly last year, over-relied on him in fact. I don't care and actually hope he has more options to spread it around a lot more this year and Ladd has a lot less. What I care about is can the Chargers do anything consistently when they get inside the 20 and can they move the ball if the really must move it to win.
      Also, don't get me wrong I am not trying to take anything away from KA and was a massive fan of his. My point is that Ladd is a perfect replacement for him and lessons the blow of losing KA.
      1- #11 Bowers TE 7a- #225 Boyd DT
      2a- #35 Cooper LB 7b- #253 Vidal RB
      2b- #37 Jenkins DT
      3a- #66 Puni OT
      3b- #69 Sainristill CB
      4a- #105 Rice WR
      4b- #110 Lloyd RB
      5- #140 Green CB
      6- #181 Nourzad C/OG

Comment

• Boltnut
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

I'm still going to blame most of that on Clapp and Salyer and even Zion.

Sure Alt will help, and hopefully so does Bozeman and whoever wins the RG job whether it is Pip,Salyer or McFadden..
        The blocking scheme/coaching probably had a lot to do with our issues. It's been a multi-year problem. The only recent year it was better was 2021... Frank Smith's 1-year layover. Losing Linsley certainly hurt. Salyer did very well filling in for Slater @LT. Zion was very good @BC when he played LG. Pip..... was really good @Sioux Falls....?

Having premium players @both OT's will open Chargers' fans eyes. Most are still under-selling Alt.
        "Run better, protect the QB". Jim knows.

Comment

• Boltnut
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Atta way to coach him up! Hec just teach him 20% of the playbook and add a couple more every week.
          And shit, let him leave practice earlier than the rest of the team for that matter. He only needs to learn go routes and slants 🤦

I know you didn't mean that literally.

He is doing more than that already but we don't need to treat QJ like a special needs player.
          He is going to get better and catch the ball better, as he has been working on all off-season or he will slide down the depth chart in his way out the door.

I am not down on him. He will be better. I'm not expecting pro bowl WRs on this team this year but they will be good enough.

In reference to someone else,. .....McConkey TODAY is not Keenan Allen! But he can provide some YAC for us that Keenan usually doesn't give.
          Yeah, not what I meant at all.

It's one thing to teach a raw prospect. It's a completely different thing to use the skills a raw player already possesses.
          I didn't see any of that last year. I saw one downfield attempt to QJ all season last year... and it was a pass from the backup... long after the season was already over.

Comment

• Velo
            Ride!
            • Aug 2019
            • Everywhere
            • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Whydachargers? View Post

Yup. I like the Green Bay comp. We'll be fine.
            McConkey
            Palmer
            Rice
            QJ
            Chark
            <Cornelius Johnson> (maybe)
            Derius Davis

Will Dissly
            Hayden Hurst

Packers WRs numbers in last season: draft year/round ~ catches/yards/TDs in 2023

Jayden Reed 23/2 ~ 64/793/8 (rookie)
            Romeo Doubs 22/4 ~ 59/674/8 (2nd year)
            Dontayvion Wicks 23/5 ~ 39/581/4 (rookie)
            Christian Watson 22/2 ~ 28/422/5 (2nd year) was injured half of 2023, only played 9 games

Love also had two rookie TEs to throw to in 2023.

Luke Musgrave 23/2 ~ 34/352/1
            Tucker Kraft 23/3 ~ 31/355/2

Jordan Love's top receiver had fewer than 800 yds receiving and scored 8 TDs. Love had a breakout season with 4159 yds and 32 TD passes. He and his receiving crew were really good in the playoffs.

I think the Herbert's WR corps can match and/or easily surpass the production of Love's WR corps last season.

Heck, QJ, as bad as he was as a rookie, had 431 yds/2 TDs, and that was with Stick throwing to him for the last quarter of the season. Palmer in 2022 when he played the entire season had 769 yds/3 TDs.

Both Dissly and Hurst should be able to match the production of Musgrave/Kraft in 2023.

I believe both Rice and McConkey are going to be productive as rookies.

And don't forget the veteran of the group, Chark, and his 4.34 speed, who had a +1k yard/8TD season with Gardner Minshew and Nick Foles as his QBs.

I think the Chargers' corps of receivers is being overlooked, which is OK with me.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
              Charger Fan since 1978
              • Sep 2021
              • Send PM

WR by committee works, we saw several teams that went deep in the playoffs and one that won the Super Bowl use that approach...the balance on offense this team will have going forward makes the team more dangerous and difficult to stop plus also more resistant to injury, I'm not worried because I know Herbert will get his...the more WRs that will get the ball the better it is for Herbert as opposing teams won't be able to focus on one or two guys...
              "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• powderblueboy
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2017
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post

We're only going to be able to do this if the defense improves dramatically, otherwise we'll be chasing the scoreboard all game, no matter how good the offense can run the ball . . . . . . . .
                The two go together.
                Run the ball effectively and your D gets more rest.

That, and not having to solve the riddle of Staley's defense before and during each play should be a huge boost.

Comment

• Formula 21
                  The Future is Now
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Republic of San Diego
                  • Send PM

I don’t believe our opening day WR room in 2024 will be as good as it was on opening day in 2023. But I do believe our opening day WR room in 2025 will be better with the new blood than it would have been with an aging KA/MW.

Younger and cheaper. It’s the way of life in the NFL.
                  Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                  The Wasted Decade is done.
                  Build Back Better.

Comment

• sonorajim
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

Yeah, not what I meant at all.

It's one thing to teach a raw prospect. It's a completely different thing to use the skills a raw player already possesses.
                    I didn't see any of that last year. I saw one downfield attempt to QJ all season last year... and it was a pass from the backup... long after the season was already over.
                    At the risk of beating a dead horse, Moore's play calling and offensive installs were frankly offensive. So many things wrong.

Comment

• Formula 21
                      The Future is Now
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Republic of San Diego
                      • Send PM

Why does the TPB website include a Viking’s helmet in the bar on top? This is on an ipad.

IMG_0178.jpg
                      Last edited by Formula 21; 05-25-2024, 01:48 PM.
                      Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                      The Wasted Decade is done.
                      Build Back Better.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                        Dont let the PBs fool ya
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Henderson, NV
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Chargers8491 View Post

Also, don't get me wrong I am not trying to take anything away from KA and was a massive fan of his. My point is that Ladd is a perfect replacement for him and lessons the blow of losing KA.
                        Ill agree with that. Ladd and Odunze were the perfect comps to him and both have more speed. But he still has to do it against NFL players. Til he does, he is just potentual but i like his potentual.

I doubt Keenan will have 100 receptions in Chicago and thats because Moore is a damn good reciever and Odunze i think will have good chemistry with Caleb as they come up together and grow while Keenan may be a 1 year and out guy for them. I believe Keenan will perform there but he isnt their only top guy. If Moore gets hurt then he will see more targets.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                          Dont let the PBs fool ya
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Henderson, NV
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

McConkey
                          Palmer
                          Rice
                          QJ
                          Chark
                          <Cornelius Johnson> (maybe)
                          Derius Davis

Will Dissly
                          Hayden Hurst

Packers WRs numbers in last season: draft year/round ~ catches/yards/TDs in 2023

Jayden Reed 23/2 ~ 64/793/8 (rookie)
                          Romeo Doubs 22/4 ~ 59/674/8 (2nd year)
                          Dontayvion Wicks 23/5 ~ 39/581/4 (rookie)
                          Christian Watson 22/2 ~ 28/422/5 (2nd year) was injured half of 2023, only played 9 games

Love also had two rookie TEs to throw to in 2023.

Luke Musgrave 23/2 ~ 34/352/1
                          Tucker Kraft 23/3 ~ 31/355/2

Jordan Love's top receiver had fewer than 800 yds receiving and scored 8 TDs. Love had a breakout season with 4159 yds and 32 TD passes. He and his receiving crew were really good in the playoffs.

I think the Herbert's WR corps can match and/or easily surpass the production of Love's WR corps last season.

Heck, QJ, as bad as he was as a rookie, had 431 yds/2 TDs, and that was with Stick throwing to him for the last quarter of the season. Palmer in 2022 when he played the entire season had 769 yds/3 TDs.

Both Dissly and Hurst should be able to match the production of Musgrave/Kraft in 2023.

I believe both Rice and McConkey are going to be productive as rookies.

And don't forget the veteran of the group, Chark, and his 4.34 speed, who had a +1k yard/8TD season with Gardner Minshew and Nick Foles as his QBs.

I think the Chargers' corps of receivers is being overlooked, which is OK with me.
                          Thats a good group and we can have that as well. If Watson, who turned 25 this month,....can overcome the hamstring injuries he keeps having, that group could be great.

Comment

Working...
                          X