• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sonorajim
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

A couple changes I like, Clark makes the DL over Matlock and Farmer over Rumph at Edge.

Comment

• Critty
      Dominate the Day.
      • Mar 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Well, if OL are "weapons" on this team, 8 OL may not be their number. Also keeping Sarrell over Pipkins isn't keeping your best players. It may save money but if we don't really need to, I'd say he isn't getting traded to keep Sarrell. Palmer either. However, I can maybe see Pip traded before Palmer. But Sarrell makes us weaker.

I don't see any of those things happening you listed but it's an early guess.

Simmons for 10 mil based on what they have signed others for? 🫤 Doubt it.
      And some keep saying Chark is making 5 mil. He signed for 3.....with a chance to make up to 5. Doubt he reaches those goals if he gets hurt and we don't know what the incentives are. Could be if has to make a pro bowl, has to play 17 games, 1000 yards,...who knows.
      I'm not so sure. We are now going to run downhill. The OL are going to have some fun going forward. Alt was a massive upgrade. Fun times ahead. Play action off that. If Pipkins can take a job away from the RG or show he is clearly worth keeping as OL6. Thats fine.

There could be a surprise udfa and a vet who gets cut that Hortiz signs.

But that my first 53 roster.
      Who has it better than us?

Comment

• Jorgecasas10
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Mar 2020
        • Send PM

55 Roster.

QB.Herbert.Stick
        HB.Edwards.Dobbins.Kimani.spiller
        FB.Mason
        OT.Slater.Alt.pipkins
        OG.Johnson.Salyer.barnhart
        OC.Bozeman.mcfadden
        TE.Hurst.Dissly.parham.Heinz
        WR.palmer.Johnston.Chark.McConkey.MVS.Davis.Rice.J ohnson.

Defense(25)
        DL.Ford.Morgan.Egboige.Matlock
        NT.Otito.clark.
        ED.Mack.Bosa.Tuli.Rumph
        LB.Colson.Perryman.Henley.Dye.niemman
        CB.Samuel.Fulton.Still.Hart.Leonard.Taylor
        S.James.Gilman.Simmons.Woods

Special teams(3)
        K.Dicker
        P.Scott
        LS.Harris

UFA.Simmons

Practice squad(16)
        Duggan.jaimes.mclellan.sarrell.hinton.okoye.finley .dent.harper.jeanbaptiste.shelby.farmer.dotson.sma rtt.bauman.johnson

Comment

• Lone Bolt
          Oline-Tip of the Spear...
          • Feb 2019
          • McLean Illinois
          • Pipefitter Illinois State University
          • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post
          A couple changes I like, Clark makes the DL over Matlock and Farmer over Rumph at Edge.
          No way...Matlock aint going nowhere...good point about Clark...forgot about him...he can have Okoyes spot, if that guy doesnt make a leap under Minters staff
          Adopted Bolt: Kimani Vidal RB

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• Critty
            Dominate the Day.
            • Mar 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I agree that Parham isn't a lock to make the roster but I would expect one more OL - you have 8 - need to have 9 - so thats Pipkins - maybe one less DL

I think both Palmer and Pikins will be on the roster.

I think at WR - Rice or Johnson make it.; the other they hope to get on the PS.

I like your idea about Justin Simmons too
            I hope Harbaugh/Roman has a jumbo package where they play Okoye as a 6th OL next to Joe Alt. Has Mason at FB and Edwards at RB. And just smashes the ball forward for the TD or first down and it works at a 9/10 times rate. Once they get down to redzone Herbert ability to throw it a mile doesn't matter. And constantly having to scheme up things is doing to much. No need to get fancy. You are right there. The door isn't locked. They are just trying to hold it closed. Do not be denied. Force it open. Make them commit everyone to hold it closed, then you can sneak out for easy TD.
            Why Okoye? To do Teamwork stuff and have fun.

​​​​​
            Who has it better than us?

Comment

• dmac_bolt
              Day Tripper
              • May 2019
              • North of the Lagoon
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Well, if OL are "weapons" on this team, 8 OL may not be their number. Also keeping Sarrell over Pipkins isn't keeping your best players. It may save money but if we don't really need to, I'd say he isn't getting traded to keep Sarrell. Palmer either. However, I can maybe see Pip traded before Palmer. But Sarrell makes us weaker.

I don't see any of those things happening you listed but it's an early guess.

Simmons for 10 mil based on what they have signed others for? 🫤 Doubt it.
              And some keep saying Chark is making 5 mil. He signed for 3.....with a chance to make up to 5. Doubt he reaches those goals if he gets hurt and we don't know what the incentives are. Could be if has to make a pro bowl, has to play 17 games, 1000 yards,...who knows.
              Sarrell went in for Pipkins last year and RT play got visibly and immediately worse. just saying ... "depth" means you keep your better, but not best, players on the roster. You don't sell off your 2nd string player for a R7 future pick because you're mad that he's not lived up to 1st string performance level.

now, if it were to get a Simmons on the roster, well thats a different cost/benefit equation for us to calculate entirely.

(add)
              I think its fair to say that most of the Pip-nogo's here were pretty solidly in the RT is #1 priority camp, right? OT is the foundation, the cornerstone, the layer that all else must be built up from, right?

RT was the #1 priority - Joe Alt drafted, check. trenchers happy. Whats next? -> OT is the #1 backup depth priority, right? I mean, right? sure, it has to be by this logic.

Ergo - the only rationale to get rid of Pipkins is to gain a high quality STARTER at a different position in return for giving up a priority backup. a 7th rd future pick ain't worth spit, less than a 50/50 chance a R7 player ever becomes a backup. less than 10% chance he becomes a starter.
              Last edited by dmac_bolt; 05-07-2024, 12:20 PM.
              “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Formula 21
                The Future is Now
                • Jun 2013
                • Republic of San Diego
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post
                53 Roster.

QB.Herbert.Stick
                HB.Edwards.Dobbins.Kimani.Dotson
                FB.Mason
                OT.Slater.Alt.Sarrell
                OG.Johnson.Salyer.McFadden
                OC.Bozeman.Laing
                TE.Hurst.Dissly.Smartt.Heinz
                WR.Johnston.Chark.McConkey.Davis.Rice.Johnson

DL.Ford.Morgan.Egboige.Matlock.Okoye
                NT.Otito.Hinton.
                ED.Mack.Bosa.Tuil.Rumph
                LB.Colson.Perryman.Henley.Dye
                CB.Samuel.Fulton.Still.Hart.Leonard.Taylor
                S.James.Gilman.Simmons.Woods

K.Dicker
                P.Scott
                LS.Harris

Hortiz Draft Picks all make it.
                Trade.Palmer(3.1m)
                ​​​​​Trade.Pipkins(6.2m)
                UFA.Simmons-FS
                How many DL do you need if you’re playing a 4-2-5 base D? 4 or 5? I wouldn’t expect Okoye or Hinton to make the team.
                Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                The Wasted Decade is done.
                Build Back Better.

Comment

• Rugger05
                  Administrator
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Numbers 20-11 of Poppers most important Chargers coming into this season:

Welcome to my rankings of the 20 players most important to the Los Angeles Chargers’ success in 2024.

This is part one of the rankings, counting down players 20 to 11. Part two will run next week.

A key distinction before we dive in: This is not the 20 best players on the roster, but rather the 20 players most important to how the Chargers perform in their first season of this new era. Coach Jim Harbaugh and general manager Joe Hortiz have turned over the roster this offseason. They brought in dozens of new players via free agency and the draft. Using this framework, we can hone in on the pressure points of the roster. Who are the Chargers relying on the most? Who must show improvement? Where can they least afford injuries and/or regression?

ADVERTISEMENT

On to the rankings. 20. Poona Ford, DL

The Chargers signed Ford at a sizable discount in free agency. He had a frustrating season with the Buffalo Bills in 2023. Ford only played in eight games. He finished the season with just 150 snaps and was a healthy scratch for 11 games, including the postseason. “This isn’t what I was expecting coming here,” Ford told the Buffalo News in December.”I thought I was going to be able to contribute and help this team win.”

Ford is only counting $1.79 million against the Chargers’ salary cap in 2024. He is in line for a significant role considering where the depth chart stands. Morgan Fox is the only other experienced veteran on the interior defensive line. He has always been at his best when used in a rotational pass-rusher role — though he can play on early downs if necessary. Ford, meanwhile, had elite run-defending seasons earlier in his career in Seattle. He can play from multiple alignments. He can also rush the passer. He had at least 22 pressures in three straight seasons from 2020 to ’22, including a career-high 33 in 2021. The Chargers have more unknown quantities further down the depth chart. Otito Ogbonnia has played 326 career regular-season defensive snaps. Scott Matlock has played 226. Christopher Hinton has played 147. Justin Eboigbe, a fourth-round pick in April, is entering his rookie season. The Chargers are banking on a resurgent season from Ford.
                  go-deeper
                  GO DEEPER

Chargers post-NFL Draft depth chart: At least 3 rookies should be Day 1 starters 19. Tuli Tuipulotu, edge

Tuipulotu had a standout rookie season after the Chargers drafted him in the second round in 2023. He proved to be a starter-level all-around edge rusher, showing the power and motor to affect the game as a pass rusher and run defender. His 29 run stops led all rookie edge rushers. He ranked second in total pressures among rookie edge rushers with 51. The Chargers needed that production from Tuipulotu with Joey Bosa battling numerous injuries, including a foot sprain that ended his season in Week 11.

ADVERTISEMENT

Bosa and edge rusher Khalil Mack restructured their contracts to remain in LA. You will see them later in these rankings. Tuipuilotu enters his second season as the third edge rusher on the depth chart. This trio is the best weapon new defensive coordinator Jesse Minter has in his arsenal. Tuipulotu, Bosa and Mack can all move around. And deploying these three in the right spots can create one-on-ones and mismatches. Last season, Tuipulotu, Bosa and Mack were on the field together for 42 opponent dropbacks, according to TruMedia. The Chargers produced 10 sacks and a 61.9 percent pressure rate on those dropbacks. First and foremost, these three rushers must stay healthy. And I think Minter can use them as the engine of his defense, particularly on third downs and in other known passing situations.

Tuli Tuipulotu had a strong rookie season as the Chargers’ third edge rusher. (David Butler II / USA Today) 18. Trey Pipkins III, OT

The Chargers drafted offensive tackle Joe Alt with the No. 5 pick in April, and he is expected to start at right tackle as a rookie. Pipkins manned that spot over the past two seasons. Now, a move inside to right guard is Pipkins’ likely path to a starting job. After the Chargers drafted Alt, Harbaugh said, “I would predict that there’s a spot in the starting five for Trey Pipkins.”

Can Pipkins make this move to guard successfully? He has never played a game snap at either guard spot, preseason or regular season. But he has tools to work with — size, length, athleticism, smarts. If the Chargers’ offensive line is going to reach the levels Harbaugh is anticipating, Pipkins transitioning inside will be an integral component. Jamaree Salyer struggled at right guard last season after a move from tackle. Jordan McFadden and undrafted free agent Karsen Barnhart could also be in the mix at right guard. The best case scenario is Pipkins claiming this open spot and running away with it. He has the most upside of the group of players in competition. 17. Alohi Gilman, S

Gilman was one of the lone bright spots in a Chargers secondary that struggled last season. He showed Harbaugh and Hortiz enough on tape to earn a contract in free agency. And this is noteworthy because the Chargers moved on from eight starters this offseason as part of a roster and culture shift. Gilman is one of only two Chargers unrestricted free agents who re-signed with the team. The other was backup quarterback Easton Stick. Gilman will be a crucial piece in Minter’s defense. He is in line to start next to Derwin James Jr., as he did last season.
                  go-deeper
                  GO DEEPER

Chargers, Alohi Gilman agree to 2-year deal

Gilman is a highly instinctive player who has proven capable of making plays at all three levels. I think Gilman’s football intelligence will be an ideal fit for how Minter wants to play, particularly in how he utilizes post-snap rotations and disguises. Gilman cracks this list primarily because of the lack of depth behind him and James. An injury to either Gilman or James would leave the Chargers in a precarious spot. JT Woods and AJ Finley are the only other non-rookie safeties on the roster. They have played a combined 115 regular-season NFL defensive snaps. The Chargers also have three undrafted free agent safeties: Thomas Harper, Akeem Dent and Jalyn Phillips.

ADVERTISEMENT

16. Ja’Sir Taylor, CB

I could have labeled this spot “whoever wins the starting job at nickel.” For now, Taylor is atop that depth chart. That could change through the spring and summer. The Chargers drafted cornerback Tarheeb Still in the fifth round, and he should compete with Taylor for the starting nickel spot. Among the cornerbacks on the roster, Taylor is the most experienced in the slot. He has played more than 500 snaps there in his first two seasons. James also has slot flex, but the indication right now is that James will play in the slot on a rotational basis, as a big nickel. Taylor, a 2022 sixth-round pick, has flashed as a nickel player early in his rookie. His best game came as a rookie against the Dolphins in Week 14. But he lost his starting job midway through last season amid the general struggles in the secondary.

Ja’Sir Taylor lost his starting nickel job last season, but if he bounces back, he’ll be an important part of the defense. (Stephen R. Sylvanie / USA Today) 15. Junior Colson, LB

The Chargers drafted Colson in the third round in April. He was one of the leaders of the Michigan defense last season, winning a national championship playing under Harbaugh and Minter in Ann Arbor. Colson is ready to start at Mike linebacker right away, because of his skill set and his familiarity with Minter’s defense. I expect him to claim that position in training camp. If that happens, he will be the signal-caller in the middle of this defense, playing every snap. 14. Kristian Fulton, CB

Fulton signed a one-year deal with the Chargers in free agency. He is counting $2.885 million against the salary cap, according to Over the Cap. The Tennessee Titans drafted Fulton in the second round in 2020. He battled injuries, including several hamstring issues, during his four seasons in Nashville. The Chargers believe their strength and conditioning program, led by executive director of player performance Ben Herbert, will help remedy some of the recurring soft-tissue problems. If he can stay on the field, Fulton has a clear path to a starting job at outside corner. He will have to fend off Deane Leonard and rookie Cam Hart. Fulton has shown spurts as a coverage player. The Chargers are hoping his best football is in front of him. 13. Gus Edwards, RB

Members of the Chargers’ organization have been shouting it from the rooftops since February: They want to run the football. And Edwards is positioned as the primary back who will shoulder the load in offensive coordinator Greg Roman’s rushing attack. Edwards played for Roman in Baltimore, so he is familiar with the scheme. In 2023, Edwards set career highs in rushing yards (810) and touchdowns (13), playing for offensive coordinator Todd Monken. If Harbaugh and Roman’s offensive vision comes to life, I think Edwards will have a huge year. He had 198 carries in 2023. Could he get to 250 attempts in 2024? That depends on what the Chargers get elsewhere in the running back room. J.K. Dobbins, Isaiah Spiller and 2023 sixth-round pick Kimani Vidal will be in the mix.

Gus Edwards could build off his career numbers of last season if he truly is the Chargers’ bell cow running back. (Tommy Gilligan / USA Today) 12. Zion Johnson, G

Johnson was a first-round pick in 2022, but he has not yet lived up to the draft slot. He has all the tools to be a Pro Bowl-level guard. Can Harbaugh and his staff turn those traits into consistent production in the run game and pass protection? I think we will see a big jump from Johnson with a more streamlined identity on offense. Chargers coaches have talked about developing a culture that revolves around the offensive line. Johnson might benefit from that approach more than any other offensive lineman on the roster. Johnson moved from right guard to left guard, his more natural position, in 2023. But we never saw a synergy develop with left tackle Rashawn Slater in the running game. Can Harbaugh and Roman can get more out of that pair of first-round picks in that phase? 11. Ladd McConkey, WR

The Chargers entered the draft with only four rostered receivers. They are now up to 11 after drafting three, adding three undrafted free agents and signing DJ Chark post-draft. I think McConkey, a second-round pick in April, will have the biggest role of all those additions. He is a pro-ready route-runner with long speed and quickness. It is easy to picture how McConkey could immediately become a favorite of quarterback Justin Herbert, who has always gravitated toward polished and precise receivers with a natural feel for attacking leverages. McConkey battled injuries in college. He is also undersized. He has to stay on the field if the Chargers are going to build a passing game that can complement what they believe will be a dominant running game.

Comment

• blueman
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Man, all of our OL looked like crap last year, starters, backups, crap crap crap.

But - like many, I’m penciling in Slater and Johnson as starters, so shoot me. We have a new - and experienced - vet at center, okay good. And we drafted Alt for RT. Fine.

But the other guard spot should be an open battle, all are welcome to compete. Same for the backup spots, let the coaches/TC sort that all out, no dogs in these races at this point, just keep the best and sayonara to the rest.

Trust in the Plan, even if we don’t know it yet.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                      Dont let the PBs fool ya
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Henderson, NV
                      • Send PM

Comment

• Boltinloudguy
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Nov 2021
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

How many DL do you need if you’re playing a 4-2-5 base D? 4 or 5? I wouldn’t expect Okoye or Hinton to make the team.
                        I believe Okoye has one more year on the PS that doesn’t count as a spot on the PS. One more year to develop and then next year he has to either make the 53 or counts as a PS spot.

Comment

• Formula 21
                          The Future is Now
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Republic of San Diego
                          • Send PM

How could you not want Daiyan Henley in the locker room?

Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                          The Wasted Decade is done.
                          Build Back Better.

Comment

Working...
                          X