• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Xenos
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Got Bait View Post
    Wow. This guy doesn't suffer fools. I love it.
    I do like that his philosophy isn’t breaking guys down and building them up again. But rather just make it harder to break them.

Comment

• Xenos
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Kellyb72601 View Post
      Collegiate strength & conditioning and NFL strength and conditioning are a lot different.

College is more about development and accountability and getting students to train hard and eat. It's more of a drill sergeant atmosphere with everyone doing the same thing.

NFL is more about keeping people healthy and being open to what a player likes to do to get himself ready and working with that. NFL players have enough training experience they find things they like and want to stick with that. It's 53 (90 in the offseason) individual programs.

I don't think this teams problems with injuries have had much to do with the S&C. They've tried hard to overcome them for many years, made a lot of sound moves even going back to what Lynn did when he was here, and Staley put a lot of effort and did a really good job in that dept on the sports science end of things. This team just has bad luck and Telesco's style of drafting tended to accumulate injury prone players. But Baltimore generally is not known for having injury prone rosters but 2022 they had half their roster on IR. Luck of the draw sometimes.

TLDR: don't throw Ben Herbert under the bus if they happen to put another 15 guys on IR this year.
      Listening to his interview and it sounds different than what you’re describing with regards to collegiate S&C. Or at least his approach to it. Seems very data driven. Never hurts to try new things.

The test for Ben Herbert will probably be in years 2 and beyond. Both Lynn and Staley seemed to have success health wise their first seasons with us.

Comment

• BigBad
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Sep 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post
        Listening to his interview and it sounds different than what you’re describing with regards to collegiate S&C. Or at least his approach to it. Seems very data driven. Never hurts to try new things.

The test for Ben Herbert will probably be in years 2 and beyond. Both Lynn and Staley seemed to have success health wise their first seasons with us.
        The thing is, will any of us be able to judge it? Will we know how many of the guys truly apply Herbert's stuff or do they have their own trainers?

Comment

• sonorajim
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

Love the Ben H interview. His detail orientation will pay dividends immediately. IMO I foresee fewer games missed.

The final count of games missed by Chargers players in 2024 will tell the tale.

2024 W - L is dependent on everybody. Hortiz, Harbaugh, etc etc.
          I'm confident that we'll do better than '23's 5-12 but I'll wait 'till we're ready to start playing before I go berserk about a SB W.

Comment

• sonorajim
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by BigBad View Post

The thing is, will any of us be able to judge it? Will we know how many of the guys truly apply Herbert's stuff or do they have their own trainers?
            The players that finish the season without a serious injury came to OTAs.

Comment

• Xenos
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by BigBad View Post

Yeah that’s the hard part right? I’m guess we’ll have to see. It’s the trust factor that Ben mentions. Maybe if the results are good then more players will buy in?

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Dec 2019
                • Send PM

Yeah that’s the hard part right? I’m guess we’ll have to see. It’s the trust factor that Ben mentions. Maybe if the results are good then more players will buy in?
                By those photos, Herbert looked like he is in shape; Derwin is always in shape

Interesting to see Rumph Matlock, Salyer, McFadden, Clark, Otito - granted those are the big hogs

Also could help JT Woods, SPiller, QJ and Fulton

Comment

• 21&500
                  Bolt Spit-Baller
                  • Sep 2018
                  • A Whale's Vajayjay
                  • CMB refugee
                  • Send PM

Remember the story of Justin Herbert making his BFF/roommate put a grocery store shopping cart back correctly?
                  reminds me of the Ben Herbert weight story.
                  These two Herberts will love each other.
                  That will be part of the identity; no shortcuts, detail oriented and doing things right the first time.
                  Chargers vs. Everyone

Comment

• Heatmiser
                    BetterToday ThanYesterday
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

I have no clue how prominent S&C coaches figure on NFL teams. It seems like Herbert has a tremendous amount of authority during this phase of the off season. Is this typical? Like someone else said, when have you ever seen a presser, let alone a 30 minute one, from this kind of coach? If not, how will the team respond to being told how to stack weights when they are done. We have all been to the gym and there are prima Dona even in the regular world who don’t wipe down machines or put things away. I wonder how the privileged NFL players will react. I suspect those who don’t do what is asked likely won’t do what is asked in other aspects so this is the beginning of the mowing of the grass and getting rid of the snakes. And I bet a lot of players on other teams are paying attention and will want to come here if Herbert delivers

TG
                    Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                      Dont let the PBs fool ya
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Henderson, NV
                      • Send PM

Was Joey there?

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Aug 2019
                        • Send PM

Remember Kent Johnston? He was awful.

Comment

• AK47
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • May 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

The players that finish the season without a serious injury came to OTAs.
                          I'm just a scrawny kid wearing a Chargers jersey that got beat up by dudes in skeleton costumes.

You really think you can help me score? On the field and maybe even with a chick?

Comment

Working...
                          X