• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wu-dai clan
    Smooth Operation
    • May 2017
    • Send PM

Joe Hortiz knows that the Beats will draft JPJ @ #9.
    What to do ?
    We do not play modern football.

Comment

• PhilaBoltster
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Mar 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

The LT trade got us Brees and the Rivers trade got us Merriman? Welcome a correction ,,,
      Brees was the Chargers own 2nd rd pick, that didn’t come from the trade. That trade netted them other stuff that didn’t amount to much of anything.

But yes the Merriman pick came from Manning. So did Kaeding, who was such a historical failure and disaster in the playoffs that he probably negatively outweighed everything that Rivers and Merriman did in their entire career.

Comment

• La Costa Boy
        Pretty much retired......
        • Sep 2018
        • JoJa
        • Bloviator of hot air and rhetoric.
        • Send PM

Incredible stuff going on IMHO. I have always loved the organization that is the Baltimore Ravens. I had hoped to pluck from that tree with our new hires and the Chargers have delivered in spades. I cannot fathom the night and day difference that these guys bring to the facility everyday. I am SO pumped for the season to get here. I want to temper my expectations, but dammit this is some exciting shit finally!!!

WUUF!!!!!

Comment

• Kellyb72601
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Sep 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by PhilaBoltster View Post

Not true. In 2003 AJ traded down from 15 to 30 with Philadelphia to get their 2nd round pick, 62nd overall. With those 2 picks, AJ took CB Sammy Davis, who was awful, and leveraged the extra 2nd round pick to select safety Terrance Kiel, who 3 years later was arrested and taken away from the Chargers practice field for drug charges, never to play again. With the pick right after their original 1st round pick, the Steelers selected the player most Chargers fans were hoping to get, future HOF and nearby product, safety Troy Polamalu.

Also there were the famous trade downs with AJ at the helm, in 2001 1 to 5 with Vick and Tomlinson, and 2004 1 to 4 with Manning for Rivers.
          I'm referring to the years when AJ started running the team into the ground from 2007 onwards. The culmination of that era was the 06 team and I think the influence of John Butler was still very strong on that team. After that it was all downhill. AJ seemed to go totally senile around about '08 and after that his ability to judge the game, state of the team, evaluate players, and everything just went totally downhill. From that point on he over-drafted everybody, traded up for slapdicks, wouldn't extend anybody, and lost all ability to accurately see the game which culminated in the special teams disaster season of 2010 when we set an NFL record for special teams returns allowed and blocked punts allowed. It wasn't the coaches, there just wasn't any athletic depth on the roster and they couldn't cover a kick or block anybody.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Dec 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Kellyb72601 View Post

I'm referring to the years when AJ started running the team into the ground from 2007 onwards. The culmination of that era was the 06 team and I think the influence of John Butler was still very strong on that team. After that it was all downhill. AJ seemed to go totally senile around about '08 and after that his ability to judge the game, state of the team, evaluate players, and everything just went totally downhill. From that point on he over-drafted everybody, traded up for slapdicks, wouldn't extend anybody, and lost all ability to accurately see the game which culminated in the special teams disaster season of 2010 when we set an NFL record for special teams returns allowed and blocked punts allowed. It wasn't the coaches, there just wasn't any athletic depth on the roster and they couldn't cover a kick or block anybody.
            Like I said, he got arrogant. Or more arrogant.

One thing with like the Steelers and Ravens - they seem to have a plan and stick to the plan.

Comment

• 21&500
              Bolt Spit-Baller
              • Sep 2018
              • A Whale's Vajayjay
              • CMB refugee
              • Send PM

I went to Baltimore to see Chargers at Ravens 2021.
              we got our asses handedly handed to us.
              The place looks like hell, old testament style.
              Scary, dark, "ravenous"
              I literally got assaulted, no complaints, some cute chick with a personality disorder saw me waving my Chargers flag and decided to thrust her pelvis against my hip.
              I didn't know whether to call security or offer a buck.

It was a shitty experience but inspirational in that, I was in awe of what home field advantage can really look like, even in October.
              Chargers vs. Everyone

Comment

• Heatmiser
                BetterToday ThanYesterday
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

No subsitute for experience at multiple levels. Over 25 years with the same org, started out at the bottom as a seasonal assistant, then an assistant in football ops getting exposure to contracts and salary cap, regional scout on the road for multiple years, assistant director of college scouting, then finally director of college scouting, and then an executive in football operations. Have to admire and respect a guy who starts at the very bottom as a go-fer and works his way up, learning the entire time. Spent his entire adult life in and around football learning all aspects of the front office.

Oh, the bio I summarized is for John Spanos, not Hortiz. I know a lot of you hate him, but he is the future of the Chargers ownership. And how many owners have worked from the bottom to the top? You can say he was not good at his job based upon what I don't know, but the guy has spent his whole life learning how an NFL team works and at least knows what it is like to do all those jobs. And it appears as though he was very instrumental in the recent changes.

TG
                Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• sonorajim
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
                  I went to Baltimore to see Chargers at Ravens 2021.
                  we got our asses handedly handed to us.
                  The place looks like hell, old testament style.
                  Scary, dark, "ravenous"
                  I literally got assaulted, no complaints, some cute chick with a personality disorder saw me waving my Chargers flag and decided to thrust her pelvis against my hip.
                  I didn't know whether to call security or offer a buck.

It was a shitty experience but inspirational in that, I was in awe of what home field advantage can really look like, even in October.
                  They travel well too. I went to Bal at LAC last year. The majority of the crowd was purple.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jul 2017
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by PhilaBoltster View Post

Brees was the Chargers own 2nd rd pick, that didn’t come from the trade. That trade netted them other stuff that didn’t amount to much of anything.

But yes the Merriman pick came from Manning. So did Kaeding, who was such a historical failure and disaster in the playoffs that he probably negatively outweighed everything that Rivers and Merriman did in their entire career.
                    They got a 3rd round pick for moving back 4 spots .... it netted them Tay Cody.
                    I hope they don't consider that this time.

And yes, some Charger draft picks produced negative results ..... meaning a ham sandwich would have been the better choice.

Kaeding is in that category, ...... so is Reche Caldwell, whose only big play in his career helped sink the Chargers.

There are probably a few others .... its a select group.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Dec 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post
                      No subsitute for experience at multiple levels. Over 25 years with the same org, started out at the bottom as a seasonal assistant, then an assistant in football ops getting exposure to contracts and salary cap, regional scout on the road for multiple years, assistant director of college scouting, then finally director of college scouting, and then an executive in football operations. Have to admire and respect a guy who starts at the very bottom as a go-fer and works his way up, learning the entire time. Spent his entire adult life in and around football learning all aspects of the front office.

Oh, the bio I summarized is for John Spanos, not Hortiz. I know a lot of you hate him, but he is the future of the Chargers ownership. And how many owners have worked from the bottom to the top? You can say he was not good at his job based upon what I don't know, but the guy has spent his whole life learning how an NFL team works and at least knows what it is like to do all those jobs. And it appears as though he was very instrumental in the recent changes.

TG
                      first, Hortiz is his last name and not Biscotti
                      second, dean wasn't self made like biscotti

if John was learning from Dean -- thats not like learning from Robert Kraft or Jerry Jones

Comment

• Formula 21
                        The Future is Now
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Republic of San Diego
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

AJ's biggest problem was he got arrogant the last few years. Got careless with picks
                        AJ was really good until he decided he was the smartest guy in the room.
                        Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                        The Wasted Decade is done.
                        Build Back Better.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Dec 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

AJ was really good until he decided he was the smartest guy in the room.
                          Pretty much hit the nail on the head.

I remember one year he talked about how the roster had already 47 players of the 53
                          his draft that year - I forget the year - showed that. He thought he had house mon ey. He didn't. He deviated from just picking good solid players and tried to get too smart.

Comment

Working...
                          X