• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vinabolt
    Vietnamese Chargers' Fan
    • Feb 2015
    • Send PM

I would generally stay away from college coaches. There are just too many evidence that college coaches can't lead an NFL team, Chip Kelly is the latest example. Even college coaches with solid NFL coaching experience like Nick Saban have failed (MIA), and he was tough as hell, also from Belichick tree.

Pete Carroll is one of a few exceptions to the rule, but he wasn't a long time college guy, it was a 1 time stint in USC until he went back to the NFL where he belongs.

He had success with Drew Bledsoe in those years in NE, both regular and postseason. He just had some bad injuries in the playoff, there were playoff games he coached teams with Scott freaking Zolak as the starting QB.

I remember a playoff game between NE and PIT in those years, Carroll lost in a Chargeresque kind of way, one of his LBs just refuse to tackle Kordell Stewart because he thought that he's going to run out of bound. So Stewart just ran into the endzone for the game winner.

Players are going to say the right things and tell you that they respect their coaches. But deep down inside, what are their true feeling? We need to hire a hard ass disciplinarian coach because we want the players to subconsciously respect the coach, believe in him and follow him into the practice field and then the battlefield.

Deep down inside, NFL veterans have a hard time respecting college coaches, especially young ones who lacks of NFL experience. It's human nature and natural psychology.
    Last edited by vinabolt; 10-03-2016, 08:35 AM.
    Follow me and my wife here: https://twitter.com/gossip_lady_se

Comment

• Geezbolt
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Sun Valley, ID
      • Send PM

Tom Cable? Yes, he was a Raider HC but he had the most success with those under-talented teams and he punched out one of Al's spies. He's a tough guy whose bad side the players would be hesitant to get on. His offensive lines have gotten Russell Wilson sacked quite a bit though.

Comment

• FiftyFive
        Dean Spanos is a traitor!
        • Dec 2014
        • Send PM

I guess nobody told Pete Carroll, Jim Harbaugh, Jimmy Johnson, Tom Coughlin, Bobby Ross, Barry Switzer or Butch Davis that college head coaches can't make it in the NFL.

Hiring college HCs is no different than hiring coordinators as your HC. There's success stories and there's flops.
        Last edited by FiftyFive; 10-03-2016, 09:11 AM.

Comment

• Bolt-O
          Administrator
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Tom Herman loves to kiss his players... he's half Italian. Heard that on on interview. I like his record, but will that work in the NFL?

I agree with OIP that the Chargers are cheap in regard to their HC hires. The only retread hired in the Spanos ownership was Marty. I remember some hating that hire, just because he was a retread. I thought Arians was a slam dunk, but technically he was a retread as well (and aged!). There is no way they hire a hard-edged HC... if only because of the money involved.

Comment

• vinabolt
            Vietnamese Chargers' Fan
            • Feb 2015
            • Send PM

College coaches don't do well in the NFL in recent history. Players nowadays wasn't exactly the oldschool guys in the previous eras.

Also:

Like I said, Pete Carroll is a long-time NFL, part-time college guy.

Jim Harbaugh have to go back to college. But he probably one of a few exceptions that I would glad to see this reunion. He was balling with us and somehow took a terrible team into 8-8. I'm sure he will have a better time here than SF. He will work well with TT. Not sure with Spanos. He was very outspoken and not exactly work well with people in the building.

Other than a few successful seasons in DAL, where they have a bunch of Hall of Famers on their teams to bully lesser talented teams in smaller markets, what has Jimmy Johnson ever done since leaving DAL? He couldn't win with Dan Marino, and they have some very talented teams and defenses during those years in MIA. Same goes for Barry Switzer. Butch Davis was a failure and one of the examples why you shouldn't hire college coaches.

Originally posted by FiftyFive View Post
            I guess nobody told Pete Carroll, Jim Harbaugh, Jimmy Johnson, Tom Coughlin, Bobby Ross, Barry Switzer or Butch Davis that college head coaches can't make it in the NFL.

Hiring college HCs is no different than hiring coordinators as your HC. There's success stories and there's flops.
            Last edited by vinabolt; 10-03-2016, 09:51 AM.
            Follow me and my wife here: https://twitter.com/gossip_lady_se

Comment

• FiftyFive
              Dean Spanos is a traitor!
              • Dec 2014
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post
              Tom Herman loves to kiss his players... he's half Italian. Heard that on on interview. I like his record, but will that work in the NFL?
              If he did for the Chargers what he's done for Houston, he could give every player a pregame blowjob and reacharound and nobody would give a shit.

Comment

• Formula 21
                The Future is Now
                • Jun 2013
                • Republic of San Diego
                • Send PM

Originally posted by MakoShark View Post
                I wanted Tom Cable last time. He's a tough man that demands tough play. But he's employed and you can't get him until after the season.
                Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                The Wasted Decade is done.
                Build Back Better.

Comment

• JDA21
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post

I agree with OIP that the Chargers are cheap in regard to their HC hires. The only retread hired in the Spanos ownership was Marty. I remember some hating that hire, just because he was a retread. I thought Arians was a slam dunk, but technically he was a retread as well (and aged!). There is no way they hire a hard-edged HC... if only because of the money involved.
                  I actually saw that last week. I don't see a big deal, he kisses them on the cheek and tells them he loves them. We need more love in the world. He cares about his players and they will run through a brick wall for him.

Comment

• Bolt-O
                    Administrator
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

College kids may need that tender touch. Some of the players don't have father figures, and it works for them. But after college, I doubt that means much. Once they get a paycheck, their motivations change. I may be wrong on that, I'd just prefer that the coach hold his players accountable, as I hear that Belichick does. Throw some pop quizzes, put the players on edge a little... what ever.

Herman isn't going to the pros anyway. I think some P5 college program will overpay him, and so the Chargers won't pay his price. I wouldn't mind him leaving the AAC, but I think its best he try to get his program into a P5 conference instead, or force the AAC into being considered a power conference.

Comment

• Formula 21
                      The Future is Now
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Republic of San Diego
                      • Send PM

Funny that a college can pay their HC more than the pros, but there's not a cent for the players.
                      Build Back Better.

Comment

• Bolt-O
                        Administrator
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula Two One View Post
                        Funny that a college can pay their HC more than the pros, but there's not a cent for the players.
                        There should be a stipend that allows them to have a normal campus lifestyle, and not have college debt at the end, but nothing more than that. A scholarship does have value, if the student takes advantage of it. Attached with that stipend should be an agreement that they pay it back if they are involved and convicted in any criminal involvement. They should be allowed to profit on their celebrity as well, but that would cut back on their stipend. The bad thing about that is that many state run schools, like SDSU, won't be able to do this, and as a result, there will be less student-athletes, and teams. The rich P5 teams get richer, and the G5 teams lose out.

Comment

• Formula 21
                          The Future is Now
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Republic of San Diego
                          • Send PM

Does a student on a Pell grant have to pay back his money if convicted of any criminal involvement?
                          Build Back Better.

Comment

Working...
                          X