• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Boltjolt
    Dont let the PBs fool ya
    • Jun 2013
    • Henderson, NV
    • Send PM

Understood but those guys are three times better than Ingram. Ingram has 22.5 sacks for his career right now. Applied pressure very little yesterday and when he did, he missed a sack when he had him in his grip. He just doesn't beat his man very often. He had a good year last year..... For him but overall he has been an underachiever. I just don't feel the team will get their moneys worth.

Comment

• Bearded14YourPleasure
      Fluent in Sarcasm
      • Jun 2013
      • Iowa
      • Man of the People
      • Send PM

Bosa is a guy that creates pressure even when he doesn't get a sack, Ingram is a guy that creates pressure instead of getting sacks. The big issue is that after those two there is no one on our roster that can consistently provide pressure. For that reason, and the fact that he is a pass rusher, I think Melvin will get a bigger contract than most people feel he has earned with his play.

Comment

• Highboltage
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

We miss Mebane collapsing the middle of the line.

Comment

• Coachmarkos
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • SoDak
          • Technology Director
          • Send PM

Melvin will get a good contract. He's a good player.

Part of the reason that Bosa has been successful is that Ingram is on the opposite side. It takes two.
          "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

• Steve
            Administrator
            • Jun 2013
            • South Carolina
            • Meteorologist
            • Send PM

Contracts are not earned in what you have done. They are given by what you are projected to do. It should be based more on the other way, but it isn't.

As far as being 3 times better, that is baloney. Ingram gets a lot of pressures because all pass rushers do that. We have a general lack of pass rush on defense, so as a squad we leave a lot of plays on the field because QB can step up and away from the rush. Pass rushing is NOT an individual activity. It is a group activity that gives out individual statistics. Teams that can consistently pressure the QB do it because they can rush the QB from a lot of different ways. Losing Ingram puts us back to just Bosa, and I would rather not see his production crater.

The players you listed are the best players at their position, but they are not 3 times better. They are better, but not by that wide a margin. They are somewhat better. Ingram got off to a slow start and figured his way through the injury thing. 10 sack per year guys don't grow on trees, and while the people on this board may not like the idea of a 5 year $50 mill contract, that is right in line with his current production. Pass rushers cost that much. No sense asking whether it is fair or not, every team needs them, and while you can in the regular season without them, you can't win in the playoffs without them.

Again, drafting top players and then waiting simply means you are going to develop players and then watch them go somewhere else.

I also think there is value in giving a contract like that to Ingram. We don't develop many players of our own, and with so many younger guys starting to flash ability, it is useful for them to see that they get rewarded.

If we want to stop spending money foolishly, we need to stop the nonesense about going out and buying the best FA talent available. @nd tier guys like Heyward, Benjamin and 3rd tier guys like Slausson are the way to go, if at all. Those guys are still playing for something, if they are being motivated by money at all. The Fraklin type signings (top OG in his FA class) are killing us.

Comment

• boldarblood
              Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

I could see him getting Ryan Kerrigan money. Somewhere along the lines of 5/ 57-60 range is where I can see him going at. I am definitely on board with bringing him back. Pass Rushers are such a premium in this league, we need to sign Ingram plus more.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                Dont let the PBs fool ya
                • Jun 2013
                • Henderson, NV
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                Contracts are not earned in what you have done. They are given by what you are projected to do. It should be based more on the other way, but it isn't.

As far as being 3 times better, that is baloney. Ingram gets a lot of pressures because all pass rushers do that. We have a general lack of pass rush on defense, so as a squad we leave a lot of plays on the field because QB can step up and away from the rush. Pass rushing is NOT an individual activity. It is a group activity that gives out individual statistics. Teams that can consistently pressure the QB do it because they can rush the QB from a lot of different ways. Losing Ingram puts us back to just Bosa, and I would rather not see his production crater.

The players you listed are the best players at their position, but they are not 3 times better. They are better, but not by that wide a margin. They are somewhat better. Ingram got off to a slow start and figured his way through the injury thing. 10 sack per year guys don't grow on trees, and while the people on this board may not like the idea of a 5 year $50 mill contract, that is right in line with his current production. Pass rushers cost that much. No sense asking whether it is fair or not, every team needs them, and while you can in the regular season without them, you can't win in the playoffs without them.

Again, drafting top players and then waiting simply means you are going to develop players and then watch them go somewhere else.

I also think there is value in giving a contract like that to Ingram. We don't develop many players of our own, and with so many younger guys starting to flash ability, it is useful for them to see that they get rewarded.

If we want to stop spending money foolishly, we need to stop the nonesense about going out and buying the best FA talent available. @nd tier guys like Heyward, Benjamin and 3rd tier guys like Slausson are the way to go, if at all. Those guys are still playing for something, if they are being motivated by money at all. The Fraklin type signings (top OG in his FA class) are killing us.
                Somewhat better my ass. They are way better than Ingram. Bosa by himself made the defense better with pressure and run defense, and with him Ingram has not been as good as last year. I see no reason to think he is suddenly going to flourish in his sixth year with a 60 million deal.
                Just like we are seeing the run defense and overall defense better when Brown and Toomer playing Teo's spot, it is evident a better player makes a defense better. Sure pressure can be a group effort but players like Ware, Miller, Houston....are making it happen themselves. Ingram isn't that type of guy. At least he isn't close to their level anyways. Bosa is beating his guys.
                I'm not saying not to resign Ingram but I sure don't like having to spend 60 million on somebody who imo has underachieved. You called him a ten sack a year guy.....he has done that one time. I am really on the fence about coughing up that kind of money for him as I see him more negatively than positive. I didn't really like him much coming out in the draft.
                Last edited by Boltjolt; 12-06-2016, 08:46 PM.

Comment

• TTK
                  EX-Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • America's Finest City
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
                  Somewhat better my ass. They are way better than Ingram. Bosa by himself made the defense better with pressure and run defense, and with him Ingram has not been as good as last year. I see no reason to think he is suddenly going to flourish in his sixth year with a 60 million deal.
                  Just like we are seeing the run defense and overall defense better when Brown and Toomer playing Teo's spot, it is evident a better player makes a defense better. Sure pressure can be a group effort but players like Ware, Miller, Houston....are making it happen themselves. Ingram isn't that type of guy. At least he isn't close to their level anyways. Bosa is beating his guys.
                  I'm not saying not to resign Ingram but I sure don't like having to spend 60 million on somebody who imo has underachieved. You called him a ten sack a year guy.....he has done that one time. I am really on the fence about coughing up that kind of money for him as I see him more negatively than positive. I didn't really like him much coming out in the draft.
                  There aren't even 32 good pass rushers in the league. Ingram isn't great but he's good. He's going to get market value either way and the only way you can possibly hope to replace him is to spend next year's #1 on a pass rusher. Then you're just spinning your wheels.

I'd just re-sign him and use the #1 to bolster either side of the trenches. That's where we really need to upgrade (don't we say this every year?)

Comment

• Boltjolt
                    Dont let the PBs fool ya
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Henderson, NV
                    • Send PM

Or, an option might be., Look into signing Jabaal Sheard who would be a lot cheaper. That's one option. Just saying. He is one of those teir types Steve was talking about

Comment

• richpjr
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Nashville
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by TTK View Post
                      There aren't even 32 good pass rushers in the league. Ingram isn't great but he's good. He's going to get market value either way and the only way you can possibly hope to replace him is to spend next year's #1 on a pass rusher. Then you're just spinning your wheels.

I'd just re-sign him and use the #1 to bolster either side of the trenches. That's where we really need to upgrade (don't we say this every year?)
                      Agree with re-signing him. I think the team should be drafting an O or D linemen very high every single year. We did it last year with Bosa and hit a home run. Nw we need to do the same on the O side.

Comment

• Wheels
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • San Diego
                        • Send PM

I can see the wariness in giving Ingram a big contract. He's mostly just teased, and we have a pile of recent big contract re-signings where the player became complacent and sucked after getting fed. That said, we're basically compelled to re-sign him because we can't really afford to lose a pass rusher, he has achieved one double digit sack season, and the front seven appears on the cusp of being really good after adding Bosa and Jahtavis Brown. I guess it comes down to what kind of read they can get on his character. Can they get a tell on whether or not he will mail it in after getting paid?

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
                          No Sir, I Dont Like It
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Section 457
                          • Migrant Film Worker
                          • Send PM

I think Ingram is still kind of raw, and is probably just coming into his own now. Don't we still have a 5th team option year, or am I high?

Or possibly both.
                          Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X