• Show
Clear All
  • Boltergeist
    Pesky apparition
    • Jun 2013
    • Baja Oklahoma
    • Send PM

4th and 1

Who thinks McCoy made the right decision to attempt the FG? Be honest, what were your thoughts when the FG unit went out onto the field? I was pissed. Get the 1st down and win the damn game.
  • Bearded14YourPleasure
    Fluent in Sarcasm
    • Jun 2013
    • Iowa
    • Man of the People
    • Send PM

We go for it and don't get it and he's an even more hated figure in SD and he may not be coaching Thursday. He made the right call. With that being said I also wanted him to go for it. After having this team find ways to lose all year long I was hoping he would give the team the chance to win and hopefully change the toxic mindset around the organization.

Comment

• SteveInCbad
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jul 2013
      • Send PM

I wish he would have gone for it, but I'm not mad because I didn't expect McCoy to do anything else but play for the tie.

I also figured the Chargers would find a way to lose like they always do, so the outcome of the game didn't bother me that much

Comment

• TTK
        EX-Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • America's Finest City
        • Send PM

The worst part about that whole series was that they had 2nd and 2 and didn't run the ball there.

If you know you're not going to go for it on 4th, then run the ball twice when you have 2nd and 2.

McCoy has no sense of game management and that's why I think it trickles down to the players.
        Last edited by TTK; 10-09-2016, 07:12 PM. Reason: Edit: 2nd and 2.

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
          No Sir, I Dont Like It
          • Jun 2013
          • Section 457
          • Migrant Film Worker
          • Send PM

Originally posted by TTK View Post
          The worst part about that whole series was that they had 2nd and 2 and didn't run the ball there.

If you know you're not going to go for it on 4th, then run the ball twice when you have 2nd and 2.

McCoy has no sense of game management and that's why I think it trickles down to the players.
          Absolutely nailed it.
          Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
          sigpic

Comment

• UtahBolt
            Did we win?
            • Jun 2013
            • I'll ride the wave...where it takes me.
            • Send PM

YES! The stupid go to the end zone call was terrible in that situation. Even if you did score there it left the Raiders so much time for Janokowski to win the game on the back end. You have to be smart and protect the clock as well as move the chains. IMO, horrible decision not to just go for the first on second down Ugh.

I am done with this staff..
            I'll ride the wave...where it takes me.

Comment

• Fleet
              TPB Founder
              • Jun 2013
              • Cardiff - Poipu
              • Send PM

I think you go for it to prevent mistakes like botched field goals. Especially when its less than a yard.

Comment

• SteveInCbad
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post
                I think you go for it to prevent mistakes like botched field goals. Especially when its less than a yard.
                That and if they make the field goal, it's a tie game with 2 mins left. Anyone here really think our defense prevents the Raiders from driving down to kick a FG to win it?

Only chance to win that game was scoring a TD there

Comment

• captaind
                  Cook This Pork Chops
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Mars
                  • Ball Holder
                  • Send PM

Show some balls. Honestly wish he would have gone for the win.

But to TTK's point, you can't make a first down with 2nd and 2? There's the issue.

Comment

• Steve
                    Administrator
                    • Jun 2013
                    • South Carolina
                    • Meteorologist
                    • Send PM

Except, we have had a lot of 2nd and shorts this season, and it seems like every time we try and run, we lose yardage.

Comment

• TTK
                      EX-Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • America's Finest City
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                      Except, we have had a lot of 2nd and shorts this season, and it seems like every time we try and run, we lose yardage.
                      As the saying goes, if you can't get a yard, you don't deserve to win.

Comment

• ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

I don't think you play for the tie because

1. You're not jockeying for playoff position
                        2. This team looked pretty defeated (like ruined for the rest of the season) after the latest collapse
                        3. You don't take the ball out of the hands of your best player on 4th and inches with a chance to win and instead go for the tie by putting it in the hands of your psychically ruined rookie punter/holder who was spotted 3 minutes earlier hyperventilating while laying on the bench.

McCoy isn't the guy who fucks up. But McCoy is creating the culture that holds no one accountable and plays not to lose.
                        Last edited by ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR; 10-10-2016, 07:36 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X