No Sir, I Dont Like It
    • Jun 2013
    • Section 457
    • Migrant Film Worker
    • Send PM

Originally posted by ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR View Post
    I don't think you play for the tie because

1. You're not jockeying for playoff position
    2. This team looked pretty defeated (like ruined for the rest of the season) after the latest collapse
    3. You don't take the ball out of the hands of your best player on 4th and inches with a chance to win and instead put it in the hands of your psychically ruined rookie punter/holder who was spotted 3 minutes earlier hyperventilating while laying on the bench.

McCoy isn't the guy who fucks up. But McCoy is creating the culture that holds no one accountable and plays not to lose.
    All valid points AKBAR.
    Ownership actually created the culture long ago, because they are never accountable. McCoy was merely brought back and allowed to continue ruining another season.
    Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
    sigpic

Comment

• Coachmarkos
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • SoDak
      • Technology Director
      • Send PM

You kick for the tie.

However, agree with the people who said you run it on 2nd and 2.

I had zero faith in them picking up a 4th and 1.
      "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

• TheDeafBolt
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jul 2013
        • Send PM

I figured going for it was an automatic, was ready for them to line up in the I and have Rivers sneak it. We have the biggest OLine in the NFL and a giant playing QB. I could be dead wrong but as clumsy and immobile as Rivers is, it seems that he has been successful the few times we've gone with the sneak. Now, one of the announcers says something to the effect of "Its no question they are kicking it here, right?" "They have to kick the field goal." That was McCoy's mentality all along - set up the field goal and then hope and pray the D can get a stop. So, my mentality shifted as soon as I heard that and realized who the coach was, and set myself up for the loss where I previously thought we would get the first, run the clock down, and score with 11 seconds left leaving Oakland no time. As soon as those ***gots jogged onto the field, I knew the Chargers were 1-4.

Very unlikely for the D to get 2 consecutive stops. Still, IF we had a "holder" who could catch and accurately place a snap and the field goal was good, which I was 50/50 on - figured he'd shank the kick and end it there - but IF it was good, I saw the kickoff being returned to the 35, Carr hitting Seth Roberts for an 18 yard gain, Raiders running once, an incomplete pass that is tipped and slips between the hands of Ingram, negating an easy INT, a false start providing a little hope as its 3rd/12 from midfield, and a sideline pass to Cooper that Steve Williams immediately calls incomplete, praying to the heavens that somehow the WR was out of bounds or bobbled it, which is a trend of the Chargers secondary this year (Pray he didn't secure it or that he stepped out because I was toasted on that play) but is clearly a completed pass. Raiders run twice for 8 and 7, kick a semi-chipshot because they have a holder who understands his simple job and does it effectively, and win as time expires.

So, I guess the botched snap saved me 5 real time minutes of more drama, as that would have been the result. When the Chargers sent the Special Needs FG Team out, the Standings immediately put them at 1-4.

Comment

• TheDeafBolt
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jul 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Mister Hoarse View Post
          All valid points AKBAR.
          Ownership actually created the culture long ago, because they are never accountable. McCoy was merely brought back and allowed to continue ruining another season.
          How long until someone chimes in with Marty running LT 3 times in the rain against the Jets and setting up Nate for a kick that would epitomize his career? .... Maybe I will..... what if Marty had said F**K it, we're going for a red-hot Gates over the middle, he can't be stopped, we aren't settling for a 40 yard FG attempt from a rookie kicker. Our culture would have been forever-changed. Brees' shoulder never would have been destroyed, Rivers would have gone to Cleveland? Buffalo? Jax? The Saints would have never recovered from Katrina because they didn't have Brees and Jim Everett's son couldn't hack it at QB.....I can almost taste it. Culture is everything.

Comment

• Formula 21
            The Future is Now
            • Jun 2013
            • Republic of San Diego
            • Send PM

Originally posted by TheDeafBolt View Post
            I figured going for it was an automatic, was ready for them to line up in the I and have Rivers sneak it. We have the biggest OLine in the NFL and a giant playing QB. I could be dead wrong but as clumsy and immobile as Rivers is, it seems that he has been successful the few times we've gone with the sneak. Now, one of the announcers says something to the effect of "Its no question they are kicking it here, right?" "They have to kick the field goal." That was McCoy's mentality all along - set up the field goal and then hope and pray the D can get a stop. So, my mentality shifted as soon as I heard that and realized who the coach was, and set myself up for the loss where I previously thought we would get the first, run the clock down, and score with 11 seconds left leaving Oakland no time. As soon as those ***gots jogged onto the field, I knew the Chargers were 1-4.

Very unlikely for the D to get 2 consecutive stops. Still, IF we had a "holder" who could catch and accurately place a snap and the field goal was good, which I was 50/50 on - figured he'd shank the kick and end it there - but IF it was good, I saw the kickoff being returned to the 35, Carr hitting Seth Roberts for an 18 yard gain, Raiders running once, an incomplete pass that is tipped and slips between the hands of Ingram, negating an easy INT, a false start providing a little hope as its 3rd/12 from midfield, and a sideline pass to Cooper that Steve Williams immediately calls incomplete, praying to the heavens that somehow the WR was out of bounds or bobbled it, which is a trend of the Chargers secondary this year (Pray he didn't secure it or that he stepped out because I was toasted on that play) but is clearly a completed pass. Raiders run twice for 8 and 7, kick a semi-chipshot because they have a holder who understands his simple job and does it effectively, and win as time expires.

So, I guess the botched snap saved me 5 real time minutes of more drama, as that would have been the result. When the Chargers sent the Special Needs FG Team out, the Standings immediately put them at 1-4.
            Please no ***got talk.
            Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
            The Wasted Decade is done.
            Build Back Better.

Comment

• ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

All valid points AKBAR.
              Very true. Just speaking to the fact that McCoy is implementing that culture, not bucking it. Theoretically they could fire him and bring in people to implement a different kind of program. They aren't firing themselves.

Comment

• ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

All valid points AKBAR.
                BTW, I made a slight adjustment to the original post. You play for the win with your best player rather than playing for a tie with someone who is crapping the bed.

Comment

• richpjr
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Nashville
                  • Send PM

Darren Smith ‏@DSmithShow 39m39 minutes ago
                  "I'm glad they did.... I was a little bit [relieved]. I talked to some of their players after the game. They wanted to go for it."

Comment

• Boltjolt
                    Dont let the PBs fool ya
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Henderson, NV
                    • Send PM

How long until someone chimes in with Marty running LT 3 times in the rain against the Jets and setting up Nate for a kick that would epitomize his career? .... Maybe I will..... what if Marty had said F**K it, we're going for a red-hot Gates over the middle, he can't be stopped, we aren't settling for a 40 yard FG attempt from a rookie kicker. Our culture would have been forever-changed. Brees' shoulder never would have been destroyed, Rivers would have gone to Cleveland? Buffalo? Jax? The Saints would have never recovered from Katrina because they didn't have Brees and Jim Everett's son couldn't hack it at QB.....I can almost taste it. Culture is everything.
                    I think Marty blew his wad with going for it on 4th and 11 which failed badly.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                      Dont let the PBs fool ya
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Henderson, NV
                      • Send PM

Comment

• FiftyFive
                        Dean Spanos is a traitor!
                        • Dec 2014
                        • Send PM

Marty is a loser, and the way he blew playoff games like that makes me roll my eyes whenever fans hold up Marty as a god who established a winning culture. Marty was Norv with fewer playoff wins in San Diego.

Comment

• OhioBolt
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

I had a problem with the third down play call period we take a time out and we come up with this dumb as play Melvin Gordon lined up deep in the backfield to gain 1 to 1 1/2 yards. Who was stopping Williams and Benjamin all day I believe nobody. The way the team has lost games late I think you just have to man up and go for it on 4th, what does McCoy really have to lose at this point. Even if you make the FG the Raiders have two minutes to win the game.

We should of done the following 3rd and on 4th if needed

1. Williams quick slant
                          2. Gordon swing pass
                          3. Gate short pass where he can use his big body to shield off defender

Comment

Working...
                          X