• Show
Clear All
  • johnnywyoming
    Eeyore is Joey's #1 fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Oregon
    • Retirement
    • Send PM

How about Mike Leach from the college ranks? He was at Texas Tech when I was there and I believe he is at Washington State now....
    Thank God for morons. Without them who would the rest of us have to blame things on?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/johnnywyoming/

Comment

• vinabolt
      Vietnamese Chargers' Fan
      • Feb 2015
      • Send PM

By "aggressive coaches" or "aggressive leader" I meant a leader that is aggressive in their attitude, approach, players handling, and overall management of football operation. A tough and hard nose coach that's self-critical, perfectionist, and militaristic approach. Knows how to disciplined and raised the morale of the players. Not necessary an "aggressive" gambler on every 4th downs.

There are many examples on the success/failure when going for 4th downs. Belichick gambles bited him in last year Championship Game vs DEN, 1 FG would have won them that game. OAK won every 4th downs this season, until yesterday against KC. Fisher's Rams failed on 4th down on the goal line yesterday, too. When things failed, there will be critics. Hindsight is always 20/20.

I read somewhere on ESPN that if teams punts and kick FGs all the time their chance of winning are 52.5%, if teams go for 4th and short distance every time their chance of winning are 47.5%.

If these percentage are accurate, it basically a 50/50 toss up. You might as well just go for it for it to change the culture around and change the mentality of the team. Aggressive coaches transpire aggressiveness into his players. In football, the more aggressive bully beat up on passive players!

Obviously, like McCoy said, it always depends on the current situation on the field, how the offense is doing, how the defense is doing, how the goal line offense/defense is doing, the team fatigue/health, etc. The thing is that passive coach like him will almost always go for the "safe" route, they're in fear of losing the game. They play not to lose, instead of go take over the game and win.

Those kind of passive attitude and decision will transpire negatively into the team. If you keep chicken out too much, it will take a toll on the team. The players will have a hard time respect the coach. And when you lose, the second guess will be much stronger and heavier than if you lose in a aggressive way.

It's unwise to keep going for 4th down every single time. But SD have been labeled a relax city, a finesse team, a cowardly coach for so long now. It needs to change!

This might not be necessary for other cities and other teams and other cultures. But in SD, the coaches need to be more aggressive or the ownership and top executives have to make changes to get more aggressive coaches here.

It's not all about the success and failure of that one particular play. It's mostly about the bigger picture. It's about the culture, the mentality and the swagger of the team, the players. The things that make you win in the long run.
      Last edited by vinabolt; 10-17-2016, 07:16 PM.
      Follow me and my wife here: https://twitter.com/gossip_lady_se

Comment

• vinabolt
        Vietnamese Chargers' Fan
        • Feb 2015
        • Send PM

Some examples:

Before 2002, teams always punt at mid field. In 2002, Belichick started a trend and always went for 4th down every time in mid field. It did cost them some games. They finished with a 9-7 record and missed the playoff. From that point on, to this day, they never "declined" into 9-7 again. Their worse record since 2002 (14 straight years) is 10-6. They went 11-5 with Matt freaken Cassel.

CAR pre-Rivera was pretty much bad in all aspects. He went in and went crazy for 4th downs on short distance, earned him the nickname "Riverboat". They costed him a bunch of games that year and they had a losing season. But he turned the team around, turned the culture around. They started to win, know how to win. They became a good team and went to SB last year with just 1 loss (to ATL) in a dominant regular season.

Some fans are just spoiled and critical of their coaches on those fourth down gambles. But if you look at their teams, usually it's a good team and the coach is a reputable coach, or they at least had consistent success in recent seasons. Belichick, NE, Rivera, CAR, Harbaugh, BAL, Tomlin, PIT, Arians, AZ, Zimmer, MIN, Jack Del Rio, OAK, Fisher, LARams. Then you look at passive coaches and you see a recently fired Norv, and McCoy who are on a hot seat.
        Last edited by vinabolt; 10-17-2016, 07:22 PM.
        Follow me and my wife here: https://twitter.com/gossip_lady_se

Comment

fender57
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

If we want an aggressive coach, seems like Tom Cable is the man.

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
            No Sir, I Dont Like It
            • Jun 2013
            • Section 457
            • Migrant Film Worker
            • Send PM

I read somewhere on ESPN that if teams punts and kick FGs all the time their chance of winning are 52.5%, if teams go for 4th and short distance every time their chance of winning are 47.5%.

"That's some 7-9 bullshit right there" - Jeff Fisher

Okay I joke, but I do agree with you. Better to die with a sword than to live on your knees.
            This era of Pussyball has to end.
            Great post as usual vinabolt.
            Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
            sigpic

Comment

• WindsorUK
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2013
              • Windsor, U.K.
              • Send PM

Originally posted by 6025 View Post
              If we want an aggressive coach, seems like Tom Cable is the man.
              He might be just the guy- right cost, right mentality.

Comment

• WindsorUK
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2013
                • Windsor, U.K.
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Mister Hoarse View Post

"That's some 7-9 bullshit right there" - Jeff Fisher

Okay I joke, but I do agree with you. Better to die with a sword than to live on your knees.
                This era of Pussyball has to end.
                Great post as usual vinabolt.
                Hallelujah brother!

Comment

• Formula 21
                  The Future is Now
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Republic of San Diego
                  • Send PM

I'm no longer for replacing McLoser. But if he could bolt these on, it would be a big improvement.

41UUnXT1yBL.jpg
                  Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                  The Wasted Decade is done.
                  Build Back Better.

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
                    No Sir, I Dont Like It
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Section 457
                    • Migrant Film Worker
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula Two One View Post
                    I'm no longer for replacing McLoser. But if he could bolt these on, it would be a big improvement.

[ATTACH]1111[/ATTACH]
                    #boltup
                    Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
                    sigpic

Comment

• Steve
                      Administrator
                      • Jun 2013
                      • South Carolina
                      • Meteorologist
                      • Send PM

I hope people stop talking about firing him midseason, but I think if we rebound and do really well down the stretch, we may have to consider it. I think, at the end of every season, you should evaluate the HC and staff and take a long hard look at what has happened. I'm not saying he goes, but even if we somehow make the playoffs, I don't think he necessarily gets a pass.

You are only the Chargers HC one year at a time (after a grade period, which is up on McCoy).

Comment

• richpjr
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Nashville
                        • Send PM

Spanos absolutely loves McCoy so if we make the playoffs I see zero chance McCoy would be replaced.

Comment

fender57
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
                          Spanos absolutely loves McCoy so if we make the playoffs I see zero chance McCoy would be replaced.
                          I'll go one further, 8-8 or even 7-9 saves McCoy. Maybe even 6-10. Injury excuse is already built in.

Comment

Working...
                          X