Clear All
  • Mister Hoarse
    No Sir, I Dont Like It
    • Jun 2013
    • Section 457
    • Migrant Film Worker
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
    I think the limiting factor with Bosa is that his conditioning is still behind where a lot of other guys are. He is better in general because he is not carrying a lot of extra weight, but he lost a lot late in the game. His legs must have felt like Jello. But his game, being efficient, having moved and using his hands, all mean he is less impacted by slowing down as the game goes on. Bosa was still pressuring the QB even after it was clear he couldn't get to Siemens late. Siemens had enough time to get rid of the ball, but as long as we get pressure, it forces the ball out of the QB hands before he wants to, and that hurt Siemens accuracy.

The thing I want to see is more of using Bosa and Ingram and another edge rusher. Ingram and Bosa, to me, are not pure edge players. They aren't one trick ponies who just come off the edge. They can do that, but they can also bull rush, slant inside, run games and stunts. They threaten a large part of the OL even when they line up wide with their hands in the dirt. I would love to see Bosa and Ingram lined up on the same side of the field. Ingram as a wide 9 (wide), Bosa as a wide 5 technique (outside of the OT), with Liuget around the C (0 or 1 technique), and another edge rusher as a 7 technique (outside of the OT) or wide 5 (outside edge of the OT). That lets Bosa and Ingram rush together, but it only really works if the other edge OLB can get upfield and rush.

Attaochu is the real key to our D going forward. He has to get his head out of his ass and start to play well. He has the speed that Ingram and Bosa lack, and if he can finally start to lift his game it would really compliment those two. Speed guys really force offenses to give a chip block to help them out, and with teams playing so few extra blockers, it would give us a way to dictate to offenses even before the play starts.

Imagine a rush line where we can mix and match Ingram, Bosa and Attaochu can mix and match where they line up, stunt and attack the edges while their C has to handle Liuget one on one.
    Agree on Attaochu. He could be Bruce Irvins on the outside. I also like that we finally have 3 guys who can collapse a pocket from the inside to force a mobile QB to the edge, and pocket passers away from their spot.
    Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
    sigpic

Comment

• BoltBacker
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Las Vegas, NV
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post
      Edited and posted on our FB page. Part of the new PB blog series with Coach Steve. So i expect to see more of these going forward.
      Link? Didnt know about any FB page

Comment

• Faded blues
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Aug 2013
        • Send PM

I think the limiting factor with Bosa is that his conditioning is still behind where a lot of other guys are. He is better in general because he is not carrying a lot of extra weight, but he lost a lot late in the game. His legs must have felt like Jello. But his game, being efficient, having moved and using his hands, all mean he is less impacted by slowing down as the game goes on. Bosa was still pressuring the QB even after it was clear he couldn't get to Siemens late. Siemens had enough time to get rid of the ball, but as long as we get pressure, it forces the ball out of the QB hands before he wants to, and that hurt Siemens accuracy.

The thing I want to see is more of using Bosa and Ingram and another edge rusher. Ingram and Bosa, to me, are not pure edge players. They aren't one trick ponies who just come off the edge. They can do that, but they can also bull rush, slant inside, run games and stunts. They threaten a large part of the OL even when they line up wide with their hands in the dirt. I would love to see Bosa and Ingram lined up on the same side of the field. Ingram as a wide 9 (wide), Bosa as a wide 5 technique (outside of the OT), with Liuget around the C (0 or 1 technique), and another edge rusher as a 7 technique (outside of the OT) or wide 5 (outside edge of the OT). That lets Bosa and Ingram rush together, but it only really works if the other edge OLB can get upfield and rush.

Attaochu is the real key to our D going forward. He has to get his head out of his ass and start to play well. He has the speed that Ingram and Bosa lack, and if he can finally start to lift his game it would really compliment those two. Speed guys really force offenses to give a chip block to help them out, and with teams playing so few extra blockers, it would give us a way to dictate to offenses even before the play starts.

Imagine a rush line where we can mix and match Ingram, Bosa and Attaochu can mix and match where they line up, stunt and attack the edges while their C has to handle Liuget one on one.
        Bosa is much quicker than I expected.

I bet his shuttle time was insane.

I don't think attack-you put in the necessary work to be elite.

Comment

• vinabolt
          Vietnamese Chargers' Fan
          • Feb 2015
          • Send PM

There must have been a reason for the complication of the defense over the years.

Both Pagano and McCoy apparently are big on simplify things and just let the players do what they do best. And that was probably the main reason that McCoy retained Pagano. They have the same philosophy here.

If they don't really believe that, they wouldn't have emphasis that on every interviews. They have said many time that they want players to initiate things and play fast, rather than thinking too much, it slows them down. There were also some plays last year that the players gave up big plays due their over aggressiveness and indiscipline. They weren't doing their job and trying do others' job, freelanced too much and out of positions. There are both sides of the matter here.
          Last edited by vinabolt; 10-15-2016, 09:41 AM.
          Follow me and my wife here: https://twitter.com/gossip_lady_se

Comment

• Steve
            Administrator
            • Jun 2013
            • South Carolina
            • Meteorologist
            • Send PM

More complicated schemes allow you to check out of bad calls. You can prevent coverage matchups you don't like, double team any offensive player, rush, blitz, dog or attack any part of an OL in multiple ways. There are a lot of reasons to do it. The catch is that if some players, particularly younger players don't understand it all, you are going to make more mistakes.

As someone else said, it is a balancing act. You can make a very simple D, but then there will be times you will be stuck with unfavorable matchups, or not be able to attack a blocking scheme the way you want to. You have to find that medium between what you want to do and what you can teach and get your players to absorb and understand. And when I say understand, as NFL players, you have to balance on any given play, if the other team does this, what do I do in this defensive call? What is my primary assignment, what will the players around me do, where is my help, and what am I looking for so I know how and where to help. If we have 100 defensive plays, that is 100 plays, and you need to know how all 100-200 offensive plays will attach those plays. Granted there is a lot of overlap, but that is offset by the fact that players only have a split second to react once the play starts.

I remember a game when Dave Wannstedt was running the Miami D for Jimmy Johnson. However they played, kept splitting out their FB in an empty backfield, and the Dolphins were running things really simple, so the CB always took the outside receiver, and that ended up being the FB most of the time. So, they had LB and S covering WR and their 3rd down RB. So, Miami won, but gave up a ton of yards to those matchups, keeping the game much closer. When asked Jimmy J simply said that was what they had decided to do, and that was that. When quizzed further about it by reporters, and asked if he thought it was a mistake, Jimmy asked if they preferred blown coverages?

Comment

• Steve
              Administrator
              • Jun 2013
              • South Carolina
              • Meteorologist
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Lightningwill_420 View Post
              Woohoo. Williams and O'Neal were badass mutha-fuckas. I'd like to see that defense again - except without the late-game meltdowns, the inability to cover a tight end, and the really shitty corners who played opposite Byrd.
              As far as the TE goes, we now have some LB who can really run with them. Brown make lack bulk and height, but there is no TE in football who can simply outrun him. As his coverage improves, I think it will really help against RB (KC game) and TE's. Perryman is a lot like Teo in coverage, a good player who is becoming a technician in his drops but is never going to have ideal speed. But if we have 1 ILB who can run with speed, I think that will really help the TE (or RB) passing game.

As far as our pass rush goes, it has to be a team thing. It is just like in baseball. Offensive production may be an individual activity on the stat sheet, but it is a team activity. Wear down pitchers and get the deep rotation guys into the lineup. Same thing with the pass rush. No offense can have 8 or 9 good pass blockers.

We have been one of the worst stunting, blitzing DL and LB groups for a long time. Now, the DL is much better rushing and stunting and Bosa is the kind of player who can make it happen. Reid and Liuget can also be good stunters, and did a good job vs Denver. Add in Brown's speed, and Liuget's combination of quickness and power, we could be very very good rushing. Then add in Bosa and Ingram can rush anywhere across the line, we can atack any part of a D, and shouldn't HAVE to blitz. I still would, but just that we can mix it up, but make teams have to account for our players on every play.

Attaochu is the guy who can make it devistating. He has to finally develop. He got 2 - 2sack games last year, and was in on 4 other sacks in the final 7 games. Some of that we need to do a better job of scoring to force teams to be playing catch up. But he has not raised his game accordingly. And with his speed, if he is not getting on the field, it is because he needs to work more at it.

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

As far as the TE goes, we now have some LB who can really run with them. Brown make lack bulk and height, but there is no TE in football who can simply outrun him. As his coverage improves, I think it will really help against RB (KC game) and TE's. Perryman is a lot like Teo in coverage, a good player who is becoming a technician in his drops but is never going to have ideal speed. But if we have 1 ILB who can run with speed, I think that will really help the TE (or RB) passing game.

As far as our pass rush goes, it has to be a team thing. It is just like in baseball. Offensive production may be an individual activity on the stat sheet, but it is a team activity. Wear down pitchers and get the deep rotation guys into the lineup. Same thing with the pass rush. No offense can have 8 or 9 good pass blockers.

We have been one of the worst stunting, blitzing DL and LB groups for a long time. Now, the DL is much better rushing and stunting and Bosa is the kind of player who can make it happen. Reid and Liuget can also be good stunters, and did a good job vs Denver. Add in Brown's speed, and Liuget's combination of quickness and power, we could be very very good rushing. Then add in Bosa and Ingram can rush anywhere across the line, we can atack any part of a D, and shouldn't HAVE to blitz. I still would, but just that we can mix it up, but make teams have to account for our players on every play.

Attaochu is the guy who can make it devistating. He has to finally develop. He got 2 - 2sack games last year, and was in on 4 other sacks in the final 7 games. Some of that we need to do a better job of scoring to force teams to be playing catch up. But he has not raised his game accordingly. And with his speed, if he is not getting on the field, it is because he needs to work more at it.
                That's good to hear. It's hard to think of many Chargers teams that could cover a tight end. Shannon Sharpe and Todd Christensen used to beat us by themselves.

Comment

• Steve
                  Administrator
                  • Jun 2013
                  • South Carolina
                  • Meteorologist
                  • Send PM

ILB in the 34 and all LB in the 43 are kinda at a crossroads. The NFL is so pass happy, that there are not many decent players who can be every down guy. If they can cover well enough to stop 3rd down backs and pass catching TE, he is probably not a very good run defender.

I hope going forward they split time between Perryman and Toomer. Perryman and Teo are both OK in pass coverage, but neither will ever be that special, and both have speed limitations which in our division is a problem since there is so much speed at RB. A big part of what killed us against KC was Teo and Perryman not being able to make it all the way to the sidelines vs KC perimeter passes to their RB. We had to switch to zone coverage, and that was all she wrote.

Now we can sub Toomer in for Perryman, and maybe in time Toomer can pull a Perryman and work his way in as a starter. But right now, he needs to work on his run game fits and taking on blocks.

Comment

• Fleet
                    TPB Founder
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Cardiff - Poipu
                    • Send PM

Id like to see Toomer get some snaps at FB and Rush DE. Show off his versatility. Like ive already said he seems to do all the little things well. He was well coached before we got him. And it shows.

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
                      No Sir, I Dont Like It
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Section 457
                      • Migrant Film Worker
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post
                      Id like to see Toomer get some snaps at FB and Rush DE. Show off his versatility. Like ive already said he seems to do all the little things well. He was well coached before we got him. And it shows.
                      Good fundamentals, and in shape too. Just like Reid. We are not doing things right.
                      Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
                      sigpic

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

Now the argument against our coaches is that Toomer knows what he's doing because some other coaches taught him? Could it be that Toomer is just a smart player who is dedicated to his craft?

It's not like we made Eric Weddle retarded with our coaching staff. http://nyg.247sports.com/Bolt/Oppone...eddle-48231681 Or are we saying that he had no idea how to play football until his coaches in Baltimore taught him? Or did he learn everything under Marty and then never improve after Marty because his coaches were stupid?

How come Franklin didn't look like he knew what he was doing last year? Was that because the Denver coaches never taught him anything? Or could it be that it is nearly impossible to look smart when your center is Watt or Robinson?

How come players who leave us after a few years never end up improving into long-term players elsewhere? Are all their coaches stupid, or do these players just not belong in the NFL?

As far as Toomer, where exactly was he taught how to play football correctly? Was it his one game in Dallas? His seven games in Saint Louis? His ten games in Oakland? His zero starts anywhere but with us? This couldn't be a case of our coaches making do with a scrub nobody wanted - this has to be our coaches benefiting from the expertise of other teams' coaches who never thought Toomer was worth keeping around.
                        Last edited by Guest; 10-16-2016, 11:27 AM.

Comment

• Fleet
                          TPB Founder
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Cardiff - Poipu
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Lightningwill_420 View Post
                          Now the argument against our coaches is that Toomer knows what he's doing because some other coaches taught him? Could it be that Toomer is just a smart player who is dedicated to his craft?

It's not like we made Eric Weddle retarded with our coaching staff. http://nyg.247sports.com/Bolt/Oppone...eddle-48231681 Or are we saying that he had no idea how to play football until his coaches in Baltimore taught him? Or did he learn everything under Marty and then never improve after Marty because his coaches were stupid?

How come Franklin didn't look like he knew what he was doing last year? Was that because the Denver coaches never taught him anything? Or could it be that it is nearly impossible to look smart when your center is Watt or Robinson?

How come players who leave us after a few years never end up improving into long-term players elsewhere? Are all their coaches stupid, or do these players just not belong in the NFL?

As far as Toomer, where exactly was he taught how to play football correctly? Was it his one game in Dallas? His seven games in Saint Louis? His ten games in Oakland? His zero starts anywhere but with us? This couldn't be a case of our coaches making do with a scrub nobody wanted - this has to be our coaches benefiting from the expertise of other teams' coaches who never thought Toomer was worth keeping around.
                          You are the most mental person here. I wasnt implying for a second that i was blaming coaching. You are a fucking paranoid kook. Stop getting high and rambling stupid novel length posts. You are making me sick here.

Me saying a player is well coached is not me throwing our coaches under the bus. Your incessant yuba like repetitive comments protecting the coaches are becoming such a fucking pain in the ass. You dont need to respond to every post made here and make comments about how awesome our coaches are.

This was a nod to the kids coaches. Because he didnt come out of fucking college polished like this. You are starting to really bug me. Get a fucking grip dude.

Comment

Working...
                          X