• Show
Clear All
  • richpjr
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Nashville
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Mister Hoarse View Post
    Good fundamentals, and in shape too. Just like Reid. We are not doing things right.
    Nick Hardwick said something on the radio last week that is pretty contradictory to the thinking here - he said he thought we practiced too much in camp and that our camp was too physical. He wondered if that was one of the things leading to so many injuries. More than a few people here have thought that our camps were so soft that it was leading us vulnerable to injury. I have no idea either way, just reporting what Hardwick said.

Comment

• Bolt-O
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Hard to prove that the camp was easy, because we fans aren't there watching. What is evident though is the relatively poor tackling technique, which I guess one can imply being due to lack of emphasis on fundamentals... and hard work.

Comment

• Millionaire Wussy
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jul 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post
        Hard to prove that the camp was easy, because we fans aren't there watching. What is evident though is the relatively poor tackling technique, which I guess one can imply being due to lack of emphasis on fundamentals... and hard work.

I think at least part of the issue is that our players don't respect their Head Coach.
        For Stinky-Jon-Wizzleteats....

"Pray for strength and healing oh and money!"

Comment

• Bolt-O
          Administrator
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Millionaire Pussy View Post
          I think at least part of the issue is that our players don't respect their Head Coach.
          I've not seen that, except with the punter.

Comment

• Millionaire Wussy
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jul 2013
            • Send PM

I've not seen that, except with the punter.

The lack of respect?

Comment

• homeless simpson
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Lightningwill_420 View Post
              It's not like we made Eric Weddle retarded with our coaching staff. http://nyg.247sports.com/Bolt/Oppone...eddle-48231681 Or are we saying that he had no idea how to play football until his coaches in Baltimore taught him? Or did he learn everything under Marty and then never improve after Marty because his coaches were stupid?
              Weddle was drafted in 2007. Marty's last season was 2006

Comment

• Bolt-O
                Administrator
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

The lack of respect?
                Yeah. I haven't heard any open criticism. Maybe you might be confusing over-familiarity?

Comment

• Millionaire Wussy
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jul 2013
                  • Send PM

Yeah. I haven't heard any open criticism. Maybe you might be confusing over-familiarity?

No, I don't think so.

Whenever I hear McCoy in post-game speeches his voice is always drowned out by Chargers players talking/yelling on top of his speech. Then when Rivers speaks the whole lockerroom is dead silent. That tells me who the players don't respect and who they do respect. And I don't think it's making too much of a leap to say that if the players disrespect their Head Coach in the lockerroom they couldn't do it on the field as well. I don't think that's the whole picture but it's part of why we get off to bad starts and have these sort of issues until the players as a whole decide among themselves to do things differently.

Comment

• Steve
                    Administrator
                    • Jun 2013
                    • South Carolina
                    • Meteorologist
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
                    Nick Hardwick said something on the radio last week that is pretty contradictory to the thinking here - he said he thought we practiced too much in camp and that our camp was too physical. He wondered if that was one of the things leading to so many injuries. More than a few people here have thought that our camps were so soft that it was leading us vulnerable to injury. I have no idea either way, just reporting what Hardwick said.
                    It wasn't that long ago that NFL team hit every day in camp and during the season.

If there is an issue, it is probably the combination of when they hit, and how they run the practice. I know early on McCoy used to run a lot of up tempo practices, which also implies that the players don't get a lot of recovery time, and that may lead to more injuries. I wouldn't think that is the case, but after watching to the last couple of years, we seem to have a lot of injuries, so I think everything they do is open to question.

If I was Spanos and TT, I would make a serious effort to get someone on board the medical side to get the best understanding of all the latest research and see how that can get incorporated into the franchise. From offseason training, conditioning, to drills.

As far as fundamentals go, the Seahawks tackling thing is not about hitting often. In fact the way they have developed it, they do non-contact drills at partial speed and in shorts and no pads, so they can practice it every day. I used to coach pee wee ball with some friends, and the thing we did was to do a lot of slow speed work to teach the little kids how to do things. Then slowly ramp it up until it was full speed. But our experience was that good tackling (for example), if you want it to be the bare minimum of missed tackles was something we did every day. Same with the footwork on run blocking. Often, it was just a quick drill here or there as part of warmups, but the idea was to put the most important skills in there all the time to make the point that it was important.

Comment

• vinabolt
                      Vietnamese Chargers' Fan
                      • Feb 2015
                      • Send PM

Good observation. When Rivers talks, he talks with heart, with real emotion, just like you hear it when the Harbaugh brothers talk, or Bruce Arians.

I think players respect McCoy as a friend, but as a head coach, as their leader, he have a lot to prove. And the fact that he doesn't talk well at all and sounds fake in some of his locker room speeches, doesn't help.

Of course it's just one of many aspects of being a good leader and a good head coach. But it certainly an interesting thing to observe and notice.

No, I don't think so.

Whenever I hear McCoy in post-game speeches his voice is always drowned out by Chargers players talking/yelling on top of his speech. Then when Rivers speaks the whole lockerroom is dead silent. That tells me who the players don't respect and who they do respect. And I don't think it's making too much of a leap to say that if the players disrespect their Head Coach in the lockerroom they couldn't do it on the field as well. I don't think that's the whole picture but it's part of why we get off to bad starts and have these sort of issues until the players as a whole decide among themselves to do things differently.
                      Follow me and my wife here: https://twitter.com/gossip_lady_se

Comment

• MakoShark
                        Disgruntled
                        • Jun 2013
                        • North Alabama
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                        It wasn't that long ago that NFL team hit every day in camp and during the season.

If there is an issue, it is probably the combination of when they hit, and how they run the practice. I know early on McCoy used to run a lot of up tempo practices, which also implies that the players don't get a lot of recovery time, and that may lead to more injuries. I wouldn't think that is the case, but after watching to the last couple of years, we seem to have a lot of injuries, so I think everything they do is open to question.

If I was Spanos and TT, I would make a serious effort to get someone on board the medical side to get the best understanding of all the latest research and see how that can get incorporated into the franchise. From offseason training, conditioning, to drills.

As far as fundamentals go, the Seahawks tackling thing is not about hitting often. In fact the way they have developed it, they do non-contact drills at partial speed and in shorts and no pads, so they can practice it every day. I used to coach pee wee ball with some friends, and the thing we did was to do a lot of slow speed work to teach the little kids how to do things. Then slowly ramp it up until it was full speed. But our experience was that good tackling (for example), if you want it to be the bare minimum of missed tackles was something we did every day. Same with the footwork on run blocking. Often, it was just a quick drill here or there as part of warmups, but the idea was to put the most important skills in there all the time to make the point that it was important.
                        Per my memory, the injury issues pre-date the McCoy era and go all the way back into the NOrv era. I don't remember it being that bad when Marty was here. What carried over from NOrv to McCoy? Some say its the limitations on contact practices written into the CBA. Team Dr's have changed, coaches and staff have changed, players have changed and we still end up looking like a MASH unit. Just plain bad luck? We draft players with an injury history? A combination of everything; CBA, history, bad luck?
                        sigpic

Comment

• Heatmiser
                          BetterToday ThanYesterday
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by MakoShark View Post
                          Per my memory, the injury issues pre-date the McCoy era and go all the way back into the NOrv era. I don't remember it being that bad when Marty was here. What carried over from NOrv to McCoy? Some say its the limitations on contact practices written into the CBA. Team Dr's have changed, coaches and staff have changed, players have changed and we still end up looking like a MASH unit. Just plain bad luck? We draft players with an injury history? A combination of everything; CBA, history, bad luck?
                          It was during the Marty era, too.

In fact, I remember him being asked about it and jokingly saying it was attributable to the tiny socks the guys wore at practice. Marty preferred the over the calf tube socks, not the ones that barely come up to the top of the shoe.

Chargers have always been snakebit by injuries. But this year, a lot of teams are,too.

TG
                          Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

Working...
                          X