• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jamrock
    lawyers, guns and money
    • Sep 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post
    I love the signing, but did we need to sign him now? it just cost us a 6th round comp next year...
    I do t think anybody gave a damn about a draft pick at the end of the 6th round until Hortiz started talking about comp picks. Now they're like gold coins. Amazing how the mind set of Charger fans flips

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
      Charger Fan since 1978
      • Sep 2021
      • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

I do t think anybody gave a damn about a draft pick at the end of the 6th round until Hortiz started talking about comp picks. Now they're like gold coins. Amazing how the mind set of Charger fans flips
      I don't remember when I first became aware of compensatory picks, I think it was back in the early 2000s like around 2002 or in that timeframe...they've always been important to me and I've been tracking them since a time when we didn't even know how the formula worked until someone reverse engineered the algorithm that awards compensatory picks...now it's really easy to keep track of them through OTC...I've been posting about comps since I started posting here...

on a side note, the Ravens have always been the best organization at "massaging" comps from the formula and Hortiz comes from that system so it does surprise me a tad that we have signed guys like perryman and Edwards so early in the process as opposed to getting them after the draft when they wouldn't have counted against the formula, the Ravens have been notoriously patient in the FA signing period, occasionally grabbing a big name but predominantly filling out their roster with second wave free agents AFTER the draft or signing released or non qualified free agent players during wave one...neither Edwards or Perryman strike me as the type of guys that wouldn't be there in wave two, maybe Hortiz felt that they would get snatched up soon, IDK...
      "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Aug 2019
        • Send PM

Last time Perryman was with this organization.

LB Denzel Perryman wired for sound on the road against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.SUBSCRIBE: http://chargers.com/youtubeTICKETS: http://chargers.com/ticketsFOL...

That was the first year of the current uniforms. And Justin Herbert's rookie year.

I have fond memories of the 2020 season. The team moved to SoFi Stadium, the current uniforms were new, and JH10 busting out on the scene. And I had a good time going on in my personal life during this time that I didn't realize until reflecting on it. Nice to see Perryman back.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Dec 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

I think comp picks are good -- but at the same time - for this one, I trust Hortz and crew to understand that the best LB for the Chargers to sign was Perryman and worth giving up a comp pick for. Plus maybe Hortiz understands that Mike Davis might sign this week and the Chargers will be back in the comp pick game.

Chargers already have a 6th from the JCJ trade and Murray is looking like a 5 or 6. So that would be 9 picks a year out - thats pretty god.

Comment

• Velo
            Ride!
            • Aug 2019
            • Everywhere
            • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post
            I love the signing, but did we need to sign him now? it just cost us a 6th round comp next year...
            I kind of view late round draft picks as UDFA territory so I don't sweat 6th and 7th round picks. They turn out to be keepers about as often as UDFAs. In reality IMO the NFL could cut the draft to five rounds over two days - rounds 1-2 on day 1; rounds 3-5 on day 2. All players not drafted in 5 rounds would be UDFAs. But as long as there is $$ to be made by extending the draft over three days, that is what they will do.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
              Day Tripper
              • May 2019
              • North of the Lagoon
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

I kind of view late round draft picks as UDFA territory so I don't sweat 6th and 7th round picks. They turn out to be keepers about as often as UDFAs. In reality IMO the NFL could cut the draft to five rounds over two days - rounds 1-2 on day 1; rounds 3-5 on day 2. All players not drafted in 5 rounds would be UDFAs. But as long as there is $$ to be made by extending the draft over three days, that is what they will do.
              me too. slightly better odds 1x1 than a UDFA but the team cycles in 10-15 UDFAs vs only 1-2 Rd6 picks so overall odds can flip. no need to change the draft to 5 imo. I don't think they make that much off the Day3 coverage in the larger scheme of things
              “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Dec 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

me too. slightly better odds 1x1 than a UDFA but the team cycles in 10-15 UDFAs vs only 1-2 Rd6 picks so overall odds can flip. no need to change the draft to 5 imo. I don't think they make that much off the Day3 coverage in the larger scheme of things
                Plus - if Hortiz wants more 6th and 7th rounders next year - he just needs to make a trade this year. Something like trading down in Round 6 to pick up a Round 6 pick next year

And, Vato Davis did sign with Washington so maybe a 7th is back on the table.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                  Moderate Skeptic
                  • May 2022
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post
                  The hit at 2:09 is one I remember him best for. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzeu7MdvuP0

Tackling has never been an issue for Denzel. Pass coverage and health are his problems . . . . . . . . . He's definitely coming out on passing downs. Glad to have him back though - hope he's got something left in the tank . . . . . . . .

Comment

• BlazingBolt
                    SLAM DUNK!
                    • Jun 2013
                    • East County San Diego
                    • Bolt fanatic
                    • Send PM

I like this LB
                    migrated from chargerfans.net then the thenflforum.com then here

Comment

• Budsman
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • May 2017
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post

Tackling has never been an issue for Denzel. Pass coverage and health are his problems . . . . . . . . . He's definitely coming out on passing downs. Glad to have him back though - hope he's got something left in the tank . . . . . . . .
                      Which in the modern NFL is ever down? If anything there are more passing downs than non passing downs. Is 3rd and short a running down in todays NFL, I see a lot of teams passing as if it’s a run. Idk not having coverage skills in a passing league really limits your ability to be on the field.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                        Moderate Skeptic
                        • May 2022
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Budsman View Post

Which in the modern NFL is ever down? If anything there are more passing downs than non passing downs. Is 3rd and short a running down in todays NFL, I see a lot of teams passing as if it’s a run. Idk not having coverage skills in a passing league really limits your ability to be on the field.
                        Agree it's a passing league . . . . . . . . . . Harbaugh / Minter must think he's at least adequate, OR they have a plan to protect him on passing downs (if he's in the game).

Comment

• sonorajim
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post

Agree it's a passing league . . . . . . . . . . Harbaugh / Minter must think he's at least adequate, OR they have a plan to protect him on passing downs (if he's in the game).
                          Henley and Dye are modern LBs light & fast. Guess they wanted a thumper. If we can't defend the run, teams will run on us. pass league or not.

Comment

Working...
                          X