How Do We Fix the Deficiency at Receiver?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DerwinBosa
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2022
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltx View Post

I know you're just exaggerating but a Harbaugh/Roman led team is going to be scoring mostly in the 20-24 point range anyway.
    ​​​
    We know what we signed up for. Bullyball.

It's going to be a culture shock for a lot of fans, when we run the ball at a 60-65% clip and ask Herbert to chill for a bit.

Embrace it.
    I really don't understand the major concern at the wide receiver position when we have Jim Harbaugh as our head coach. We'll have productive receivers. Herbert will have much more support in the running game and will be asked to make the clutch passes when necessary. This will be a winning formula.

Comment

• Boltx
      Dominate the day
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by DerwinBosa View Post

I really don't understand the major concern at the wide receiver position when we have Jim Harbaugh as our head coach. We'll have productive receivers. Herbert will have much more support in the running game and will be asked to make the clutch passes when necessary. This will be a winning formula.
      I agree. Some fans are still unprepared for it, though. Many will complain that we're "only" winning games 20-17.

Now the defense needs massive upgrades too, to keep us in the game to be able to even pull off this style of offense. But not everything can be addressed in one offseason.
      ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

• Lone Star Bolt
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Apr 2024
        • Rockwall, Texas (DFW)
        • Send PM

I know you're just exaggerating but a Harbaugh/Roman led team is going to be scoring mostly in the 20-24 point range anyway.
        ​​
        We know what we signed up for. Bullyball.

It's going to be a culture shock for a lot of fans, when we run the ball at a 60-65% clip and ask Herbert to chill for a bit.

Embrace it.
        My concern is that you are not playing to Herbert's strengths. He could have been traded (I heard Minnesota was trying to get him). It just feels like a waste of money to pay him to be a game manager. We may have been better off trading him, getting extra picks, and drafting JJ McCarthy. In my opinion, we need to pick a receiver for the 2nd round. We cannot depend on what we have on the roster. As much as he wants to run the ball teams will just stack the box if you do not have a legitimate downfield threat. Additionally, this is a passing league and you need to be able to pay catchup if needed...especially playing the Chiefs. If you get down in points running the ball is going to eat too much clock and not get you where you need to be...balance is key.

Comment

• Kellyb72601
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Sep 2019
          • Send PM

I don't think Harbaugh is prepared for how much the NFL has changed since he coached the 9ers. It's why I was against hiring him. It's not 1985 anymore, it's not 2012 anymore, and you can't just line up in power formations and run the ball thru the A-gap 70% of the time and expect to win football games. 2012 was 6 years before KC took the NFL by storm with their 2018 Tyreek Hill led spread offense with all their misdirection jet motions. It was 6 years before the Rams led the NFL in scoring with their redesigned Joe Gibbs offense. Now both those offenses have been figured out and had to adjust. The NFL moves very fast and a year is an enternity. For Harbaugh it's been 12 years.

Comment

• blueman
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

I agree and this is what I would tell anyone who is concerned about the lack of weapons.

2024 is a throw away year in the sense that we are transitioning to a new regime, staff, system changes, etc. We probably still have a lot of players that needed to be weeded out as the year goes on.

We're building a house right now - the foundation absolutely needs to be correct. We can worry about fancy weapons next year as we'll likely have a top 10-12 pick and a ton of cap money to use. I also get the feeling that the Bolts will absolutely be a popular FA destination.

2025 is when the fun begins. Trust the process, my guys.
            Dunno about all that. No team ever conceded a throw away year at any time. Harbaugh sure won’t. Another way to look at it, the Alt pick is all about winning now: Harbaugh’s brand of football wins games, period, and Alt is an immediate upgrade at his position.

But how many key Michigan players went in the first round? Harbaugh doesn’t need solid gold at every position, his m.o. is winning by polishing up whatever tarnished brass he has, and zero excuses. The transition you’re describing won’t take a year of losing games, it’s gonna be about learning what it takes to win now, and we will win now. Will we get better later? Sure, for various reasons. But I guarantee you, there isn’t a team on our schedule that looks at us as an easy win. Not even - or especially- the Chiefs.

Harbaugh’s gonna have this team coming out slugging, day one, warts and all. Woo to any team not prepared for that (and we’ll face more than a few..).

Comment

• blueman
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Kellyb72601 View Post
              I don't think Harbaugh is prepared for how much the NFL has changed since he coached the 9ers. It's why I was against hiring him. It's not 1985 anymore, it's not 2012 anymore, and you can't just line up in power formations and run the ball thru the A-gap 70% of the time and expect to win football games. 2012 was 6 years before KC took the NFL by storm with their 2018 Tyreek Hill led spread offense with all their misdirection jet motions. It was 6 years before the Rams led the NFL in scoring with their redesigned Joe Gibbs offense. Now both those offenses have been figured out and had to adjust. The NFL moves very fast and a year is an enternity. For Harbaugh it's been 12 years.
              I think you give the man too little credit, but I guess we’ll see.

Comment

• BigBad
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Sep 2019
                • Send PM

HAHAHAHAHAHA

Go take a look at the size of modern LBers now and how many dime packages everyone plays. A team is going to get smart and just smash everyone. I didn't think it would be us but here we are.

I now want JPJ center at #37

Too many fans want their QB to put up stats. Rivers put up stats and Eli got two rings.

Comment

• Kellyb72601
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Sep 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by BigBad View Post

HAHAHAHAHAHA

Go take a look at the size of modern LBers now and how many dime packages everyone plays. A team is going to get smart and just smash everyone. I didn't think it would be us but here we are.

I now want JPJ center at #37

Too many fans want their QB to put up stats. Rivers put up stats and Eli got two rings.
                  Yeah that's exactly what Belichik thought he was gonna do the last few years. Sign 2 free agent tight ends and play bully ball. How did that work out? lol

And note how similar Harbaugh is doing what got Belichik run outta town when Brady left.

1. Sign an old school "run the ball" OC already fired multiple times for running the ball too much & failure to develop a passing game.

2. Run all your receivers outta town, eschew drafting any elite ones.

3. Talk about playing "bully ball" and running the football.

Comment

• BigBad
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Sep 2019
                    • Send PM

Yeah that's exactly what Belichik thought he was gonna do the last few years. Sign 2 free agent tight ends and play bully ball. How did that work out? lol
                    You have to have an actual QB. We do. A flashy WR isn't fixing this team. If you build the lines then sprinkle one in later fine.

Comment

• Kellyb72601
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Sep 2019
                      • Send PM

I do like the idea of drafting a tackle, right tackle has been a sore spot on this team for 17 years at least, but there were a multitude of tackles that would be an excellent upgrade there so why not trade down there and get more picks? Hortiz said they had opportunities to trade down. But they didn't and drafted a left tackle to play right tackle. I didn't think we'd pick Alt because both his dad and agent for sure know the upgraded money he can make playing left tackle & would want him playing there. At some point that will be an issue. We already have Slater who already made a pro bowl playing left tackle so you know he's not moving to right tackle. The way I see it Slater won't be extended and all this pick does is give us his replacement for when he leaves & Alt takes over that spot. So status quo.

Comment

• BigBad
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Sep 2019
                        • Send PM

I do like the idea of drafting a tackle, right tackle has been a sore spot on this team for 17 years at least, but there were a multitude of tackles that would be an excellent upgrade there so why not trade down there and get more picks? Hortiz said they had opportunities to trade down. But they didn't and drafted a left tackle to play right tackle. I didn't think we'd pick Alt because both his dad and agent for sure know the upgraded money he can make playing left tackle & would want him playing there. At some point that will be an issue. We already have Slater who already made a pro bowl playing left tackle so you know he's not moving to right tackle. The way I see it Slater won't be extended and all this pick does is give us his replacement for when he leaves & Alt takes over that spot. So status quo.
                        They wanted Alt and the Titans at 7 did too. Alt > trade down and Latham I guess.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Dec 2019
                          • Send PM

Chargers will get a WR either today or by Round 4

They will maybe sign a guy like MVS next week, possibly Boyd

JH2 have a vision and a plan. Not concerned

Comment

Working...
                          X