How Do We Fix the Deficiency at Receiver?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Velo
    Ride!
    • Aug 2019
    • Everywhere
    • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
    • Send PM

How Do We Fix the Deficiency at Receiver?

Keenan gone. Mike gone. Also gone are Gerald Everett and Austin Ekeler. These four players were Herbert's most popular targets the past two seasons.

Under contract at WR are Josh Palmer, Quentin Johnston, Derius Davis and Simi Fehoko.

Under contract at TE are Will Dissly, Hayden Hurst, Donald Parham and Stone Smartt.

Under contract at RB are Gus Edwards, Isaiah Spiller, Elijah Dotson and Jaret Paterson.

I believe that Palmer is a solid depth WR. He is not a #1, I'm not sure he is #2 material. We don't know if QJ is going be better in 2024 or if he is a bust. We don't know what Derius Davis is capable of, if he is anything more than a good kick returner who can catch occasional bubble screens. I don't believe Fehoko will make the roster.

Dissly in six years with Seattle averaged 237 yds receiving and 2 TDs per season. Hurst slightly more than that in six seasons with Balt and Carolina. They are blockers. Parham may not even make the team, ditto Smartt.

Edwards does a lot of things well, but receiving is not one of them. In five seasons in Balt, he had 30 catches for 374 yards. He has never caught a TD pass in the NFL.

What are we going to do?

Well, I'm a big fan of what Green Bay has done, the receiving corps they have built for Jordan Love, who is a rising star after his first year as a starter.

The Packers have put together a dynamic quartet of young WRs for Love, four recent draft picks, two each in 2022/23. Love topped 4,000 yards passing and threw 31 TD passes in 2023, but none of his receivers topped 1,000 yards.

Love's top receiver was Jayden Reed, a 2023 2nd round pick who as a rookie had 793 receiving yards along with 8 TD catches. WR Romeo Doubs, a 2022 4th rounder, had 674 yds receiving and 8 TD catches in 2023. Dontayvion Wicks, a 2023 5th rounder, had 581 yds and 4 TDs. And Christian Watson, a 2022 2nd rounder, had 422 yds and 5 TDs.

The Packers drafted two TEs last year. Luke Musgrave in the 2nd and Tucker Kraft in the 3rd. Musgrave had 352 yds, 1 TD; Kraft 355 yds, 2 TDs.

I don't know if the Chargers can have this kind of success building a receiving corps through the draft. But I like the idea of it. One advantage of have a WR corps that is not dominated by one standout elite WR, is if that WR gets injured the passing offense doesn't take a bit hit.

I think Palmer can be a solid piece of a similar type of WR corps. QJ? I think the jury is still out, but I think there is a decent chance he will evolve into a solid WR. If so, that's two pieces. I don't know if DD can be the type of WR who can be a 30-40 catch guy for 500 yds and 5 TDs.

My feeling is the Chargers will have to draft two WR and a TE in April to build a solid corps of pass catchers around Herbert.

I'm a bit uneasy about have such a young corps or receivers without an established veteran. But the Packers got it done last season with two rookie WRs, two rookie TEs and two 2nd year WRs around a 1st year starter at QB.

• gzubeck
    Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
    • Jan 2019
    • Tucson, AZ
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
    Keenan gone. Mike gone. Also gone are Gerald Everett and Austin Ekeler. These four players were Herbert's most popular targets the past two seasons.

Under contract at WR are Josh Palmer, Quentin Johnston, Derius Davis and Simi Fehoko.

Under contract at TE are Will Dissly, Hayden Hurst, Donald Parham and Stone Smartt.

Under contract at RB are Gus Edwards, Isaiah Spiller, Elijah Dotson and Jaret Paterson.

I believe that Palmer is a solid depth WR. He is not a #1, I'm not sure he is #2 material. We don't know if QJ is going be better in 2024 or if he is a bust. We don't know what Derius Davis is capable of, if he is anything more than a good kick returner who can catch occasional bubble screens. I don't believe Fehoko will make the roster.

Dissly in six years with Seattle averaged 237 yds receiving and 2 TDs per season. Hurst slightly more than that in six seasons with Balt and Carolina. They are blockers. Parham may not even make the team, ditto Smartt.

Edwards does a lot of things well, but receiving is not one of them. In five seasons in Balt, he had 30 catches for 374 yards. He has never caught a TD pass in the NFL.

What are we going to do?

Well, I'm a big fan of what Green Bay has done, the receiving corps they have built for Jordan Love, who is a rising star after his first year as a starter.

The Packers have put together a dynamic quartet of young WRs for Love, four recent draft picks, two each in 2022/23. Love topped 4,000 yards passing and threw 31 TD passes in 2023, but none of his receivers topped 1,000 yards.

Love's top receiver was Jayden Reed, a 2023 2nd round pick who as a rookie had 793 receiving yards along with 8 TD catches. WR Romeo Doubs, a 2022 4th rounder, had 674 yds receiving and 8 TD catches in 2023. Dontayvion Wicks, a 2023 5th rounder, had 581 yds and 4 TDs. And Christian Watson, a 2022 2nd rounder, had 422 yds and 5 TDs.

The Packers drafted two TEs last year. Luke Musgrave in the 2nd and Tucker Kraft in the 3rd. Musgrave had 352 yds, 1 TD; Kraft 355 yds, 2 TDs.

I don't know if the Chargers can have this kind of success building a receiving corps through the draft. But I like the idea of it. One advantage of have a WR corps that is not dominated by one standout elite WR, is if that WR gets injured the passing offense doesn't take a bit hit.

I think Palmer can be a solid piece of a similar type of WR corps. QJ? I think the jury is still out, but I think there is a decent chance he will evolve into a solid WR. If so, that's two pieces. I don't know if DD can be the type of WR who can be a 30-40 catch guy for 500 yds and 5 TDs.

My feeling is the Chargers will have to draft two WR and a TE in April to build a solid corps of pass catchers around Herbert.

I'm a bit uneasy about have such a young corps or receivers without an established veteran. But the Packers got it done last season with two rookie WRs, two rookie TEs and two 2nd year WRs around a 1st year starter at QB.
    You answered your own question...draft receivers....at least two and maybe a third in the 4-5th round. But that's me...it's cherry season and the rest of this board wants to draft beef especially on defense. Other teams like Chicago and Houston are getting as many weapons as possible.
    Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• el_jefe999
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jan 2023
      • Send PM

I think they'll take a WR in he first two rounds I just hope it's after a trade down and someone like Mcconkey at the top of the 2nd. Allen was a 3rd round draft pick so we don't necessarily need someone in the top 5 to be a quality starter.

Comment

• Velo
        Ride!
        • Aug 2019
        • Everywhere
        • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
        • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

You answered your own question...draft receivers....at least two and maybe a third in the 4-5th round. But that's me...it's cherry season and the rest of this board wants to draft beef especially on defense. Other teams like Chicago and Houston are getting as many weapons as possible.
        We definitely think alike in this arena. I also believe the RB they draft needs to be a decent receiver.

Comment

• Boltnut
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2019
          • Send PM

With the offense shifting to a more balanced offense (55/45) I don't see WR as our biggest need (even with KA gone). I think Joshua Palmer is unappreciated and underused. I think QJ was always drafted with the future in mind. Year 2 was always his target. He was misused last year. I think we will be in 21 personnel about 50% of the time. Whoever we draft will be part of a rotation. It makes no sense to try and develop a 1st round WR (QJ) from the bench.

Having said that, the GM will draft BPA in every round. If that is Ladd McConkey in the 2nd round... so be it. But I also see the possibility of WR being BPA in 3rd-6th rounds. The WR prospect group is very good and very deep.

The bigger needs are RT, OC, DT, LB, CB, RB, and TE right now.
          You have to look at the roster as a whole. What do you want to do on offense? What do you want to do on defense? How do you beat the Chiefs?

The latest FA signings were all 1-year deals (Bozeman, Hurst, Perryman, Dye, Ford). Gilman was a 2-year deal and Dissly was a 3-year deal. IMO, they were brought on to teach the rookies... and are mainly depth. Foster Sarrell was an ERFA tender... and you know he won't stick.

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jul 2022
            • White Rock, BC Canada
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post
            With the offense shifting to a more balanced offense (55/45) I don't see WR as our biggest need (even with KA gone). I think Joshua Palmer is unappreciated and underused. I think QJ was always drafted with the future in mind. Year 2 was always his target. He was misused last year. I think we will be in 21 personnel about 50% of the time. Whoever we draft will be part of a rotation. It makes no sense to try and develop a 1st round WR (QJ) from the bench.

Having said that, the GM will draft BPA in every round. If that is Ladd McConkey in the 2nd round... so be it. But I also see the possibility of WR being BPA in 3rd-6th rounds. The WR prospect group is very good and very deep.

The bigger needs are RT, OC, DT, LB, CB, RB, and TE right now.
            You have to look at the roster as a whole. What do you want to do on offense? What do you want to do on defense? How do you beat the Chiefs?

The latest FA signings were all 1-year deals (Bozeman, Hurst, Perryman, Dye, Ford). Gilman was a 2-year deal and Dissly was a 3-year deal. IMO, they were brought on to teach the rookies... and are mainly depth. Foster Sarrell was an ERFA tender... and you know he won't stick.
            I just cannot agree with you that WR is the 8th positional need on team after moving both starting WRs. Right now we have the worst skill positions in the NFL. WR, TE and RB is all pretty bad, Not a sngle reliable pass catcher on the whole offense except for Palmer who is a WR3 on any good offense.

Whether you want to run the ball or not you still have to have the element of a pssing game in the 2024 NFL. Are you going to pay the best arm in the NFL 52 million a year to just hand the ball off??

Comment

• FoutsFan
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2019
              • Birmingham AL
              • Send PM

The draft and FA.

Comment

• Boltnut
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Feb 2019
                • Send PM

Here are the WR's the Chargers have met with:

Joshua Cephus:
                NFL Wide Receiver Prospect Joshua Cephus Highlights

Ainias Smith:

Phoenix Sproles:
                North Dakota State WR Phoenix Sproles 2021 HighlightsSong: 25 Million - Roddy RichBicho Prodz (Mine) Social Media Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/bicho....

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jul 2022
                  • White Rock, BC Canada
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post
                  Here are the WR's the Chargers have met with:

Joshua Cephus:
                  NFL Wide Receiver Prospect Joshua Cephus Highlights

Ainias Smith:

Phoenix Sproles:
                  North Dakota State WR Phoenix Sproles 2021 HighlightsSong: 25 Million - Roddy RichBicho Prodz (Mine) Social Media Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/bicho....
                  Depressing.

This draft is 20 deep with very good WRs and we are meeting with guys outside the top 25. Smith is fast and interesting, he might be in the top 25.

Comment

• Eurobolt
                    *** Jim Harbaugh ***
                    • Sep 2018
                    • Send PM

Troy Franklin in 2nd/3rd round
                    OBJ on 1 year deal.

Comment

• electricgold
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Apr 2020
                      • Send PM