• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jack Burton
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Apr 2023
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post

I do think that the reliance on late draft picks and UDFAs for that kind of player is coming to an end. But I don't think Ladd is just a slot receiver, he can play the outside as well. The one type of receiver that is now missing is the tall contested down field pass catcher, like Mike Williams. Again, there are guys that are found with the UDFAs like Malcom Floyd, or maybe with FAs. Tying this back to L-Mac (heh) he just gets open, like Keenan, and frankly isn't that body type to go after the fades.
    Javon Baker

Comment

• Topcat
      AKA "Pollcat"
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Now, McConkey is ahem, OUR LADD:

image.png

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
        Moderate Skeptic
        • May 2022
        • Send PM

Originally posted by ChargersPowderBlue View Post

I don't think he's as fast as DD. But he's fast nevertheless.

You're correct, not quite as fast; DD ran 4.36 at last years combine, QJ ran a 4.49 (pro day - not combine) - McConkey ran an official combine 4.39.

I think it's fair to say the QJ is not as fast as we thought, or doesn't play up to his speed . . . . . . If he had run at the combine you can probably add a tick or 2 onto his pro day time. maybe that explains (In part) why he has trouble separating . . . . . . . .

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
          Moderate Skeptic
          • May 2022
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post
          After looking at some tape, McConkey reminds me of Hunter Renfrow-- smallish, water-bug moves, good hands, strong competitor.

Except that Renfrow is smaller and slower, with a combine 4.59. Cooper Kupp ran even slower - 4.62. McConkey's speed and quickness will allow him to be effective on the outside as well as the slot . . . . . . . . McConkey's got KA's separation skills and hands, combined with Welker like quickness + take it to the house foot speed . . . . . . . . . . Remember how we were all blown away by DD's speed on the field last year? How he was obviously the fastest guy out there? 4.36 vs 4.39 . . . . . . . .y'all going to be very (pleasantly) surprised . . . . . . . . IMO McConkey can be (at a minimum) the chain mover we would have had with Bowers - with his extreme quickness he might be even better than Bowers at that particular task, and that's what Harbaugh wants - someone we can count on to get us 1st downs so the offense can stay on the field and continue mauling teams . . . . . .

Look for us to use a late draft selection or UDFA for a WR with height, leaping ability and hands . . . . . . . . we'll be done with the WR room at that point . . . . . . . .

Comment

• QSmokey
            Guardedly Optimistic
            • Jun 2013
            • Kuna, Idaho
            • Retired
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post

Except that Renfrow is smaller and slower, with a combine 4.59. Cooper Kupp ran even slower - 4.62. McConkey's speed and quickness will allow him to be effective on the outside as well as the slot . . . . . . . . McConkey's got KA's separation skills and hands, combined with Welker like quickness + take it to the house foot speed . . . . . . . . . . Remember how we were all blown away by DD's speed on the field last year? How he was obviously the fastest guy out there? 4.36 vs 4.39 . . . . . . . .y'all going to be very (pleasantly) surprised . . . . . . . . IMO McConkey can be (at a minimum) the chain mover we would have had with Bowers - with his extreme quickness he might be even better than Bowers at that particular task, and that's what Harbaugh wants - someone we can count on to get us 1st downs so the offense can stay on the field and continue mauling teams . . . . . .

Look for us to use a late draft selection or UDFA for a WR with height, leaping ability and hands . . . . . . . . we'll be done with the WR room at that point . . . . . . . .
            I think we'll sign a vet FA, too.

Comment

• jamrock
              lawyers, guns and money
              • Sep 2017
              • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post

If you listen to Hortiz he'll never be "done" with any position. He made a point of saying he is aggressive about adding players prior to season, and during the season.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                Moderate Skeptic
                • May 2022
                • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post

AGREED . . . . . . . . . By the start of the season we will have a very solid WR room. No stars (yet) just a group of competent guys. For this year that's probably the best we can do - and should be enough if we can run the ball . . . . . . .

Comment

• PR#1
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Aug 2019
                  • Send PM

I've watched every game that McConkey has ever played in.

Charger Fans are going to be very happy !

Comment

• Bolt-O
                    Administrator
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post

I do think that the reliance on late draft picks and UDFAs for that kind of player is coming to an end. But I don't think Ladd is just a slot receiver, he can play the outside as well. The one type of receiver that is now missing is the tall contested down field pass catcher, like Mike Williams. Again, there are guys that are found with the UDFAs like Malcom Floyd, or maybe with FAs. Tying this back to L-Mac (heh) he just gets open, like Keenan, and frankly isn't that body type to go after the fades.
                    Brenden Rice... Check.

Comment

• TTThunder
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jul 2013
                      • Send PM

With 3 drafted WRs and a few undrafted, I think we will not sign any veteran free agent, unless absolutely necessary...

Go Bolts!!!

Comment

• jamrock
                        lawyers, guns and money
                        • Sep 2017
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by TTThunder View Post
                        With 3 drafted WRs and a few undrafted, I think we will not sign any veteran free agent, unless absolutely necessary...

Go Bolts!!!
                        Maybe not until after training camp or during pre season

Comment

• Jack Burton
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Apr 2023
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by TTThunder View Post

Go Bolts!!!
                          I agree. They are suddenly loaded and made a real effort to get 2 more drafted and 2 more in UDFA.

Comment

Working...
                          X