• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Iowa70
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Sep 2023
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Jack Burton View Post
    Can we get this guy a helmet that fits him 1st?

Jeez, he looks like a bobble head. I’ve watched a lot of his tape and games over the last year and I could never put my finger on why he looked out of place at times. I think it’s his helmet is 3 sizes too big for his head.

Comment

• Vaportrail
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Apr 2021
      • Send PM

Originally posted by AKFlyFisher View Post
      Some of the comments in here are strange. Allen's super power was getting open. The Chargers just drafted the best route runner in this draft -- yes, this entire draft and that includes MH Jr, Nabers, etc. -- because he knows how to use his body, how to read defenses, and how to move and find open spots. McConkey is basically an Allen replacement -- he simply knows how to get open. In fact, his route running was often so good, it led to Bowers' opportunities.

I mentioned this already too, but Harbaugh wants not just a receiver, but a willing blocker. He also wants character. You get all of that here, with a player whose dad played in the league. I am going to expect a lot of folks to eat crow once games start.
      While I agree with many of your thoughts, Ladd is not related to Phil.

Comment

• sdchrgrboy
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Sep 2021
        • San Diego
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Duck of Death View Post
        Everyone has a take so here’s mine:

- Ladd would’ve been my choice at #23, had they traded down. I was texting my football buddies the night before that they absolutely HAD to go get this guy. So yeah, to say I am elated is an understatement.

- Straight up, he is uncoverable. His snap down before breaks is unreal. He made SEC DBs look silly, & he did it again at the Senior Bowl. Best route runner in the draft & that’s saying a lot, Before long, he will be considered among the best route runners in the NFL. Seriously, I mean no hyperbole here - he is that good.

- High character guy. I guarantee he will not be another Crashee Rice.
        How great would it be to finally have a shifty slot receiver. I am hoping he turns out to a good version of Wes Welker, Brandon Stokley , or Julian Edelman

Comment

• BlazingBolt
          SLAM DUNK!
          • Jun 2013
          • East County San Diego
          • Bolt fanatic
          • Send PM

YES! A GUY WHO CAN GET OPEN AND CATCH AND RUN FAST!
          migrated from chargerfans.net then the thenflforum.com then here

Comment

• BigBad
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Sep 2019
            • Send PM

An interesting comparison considering that Baldwin played for Harbaugh at Standford for 4 years.

Comment

• Formula 21
              The Future is Now
              • Jun 2013
              • Republic of San Diego
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

Yeah I think a lot of people unfortunately assume he was only going to be a slot only WR in the NFL.
              I love McConkey as a slot only guy. And I can easily see him getting 1000 yards this year. He’s our best WR right now.
              Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
              The Wasted Decade is done.
              Build Back Better.

Comment

• Craig440
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Apr 2019
                • Send PM

Our guy Ladd breaking ankles at six years old.

Ladd Mcconkey-The best 6yr.old football plaYER (youtube.com)

I like how he switches arms with the ball when he changes direction. He's a natural

Comment

• AK47
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • May 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
                  I love McConkey as a slot only guy. And I can easily see him getting 1000 yards this year. He’s our best WR right now.
                  If I was an opposing LB I'd hate to go against a run-centric team with good slot WR's. Just another set of offensive guys I'll be tasked to cover more than usual.

In contrast to a good outside WR hey I'll leave that to the DBs. I can key more on the run and on QB spying. Okay TE's as well. But if that damn WR is breaking my DB's ankles damn now I have to help out?

Comment

• eaterfan
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Oct 2020
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by AKFlyFisher View Post
                    Some of the comments in here are strange. Allen's super power was getting open. The Chargers just drafted the best route runner in this draft -- yes, this entire draft and that includes MH Jr, Nabers, etc. -- because he knows how to use his body, how to read defenses, and how to move and find open spots. McConkey is basically an Allen replacement -- he simply knows how to get open. In fact, his route running was often so good, it led to Bowers' opportunities.

I mentioned this already too, but Harbaugh wants not just a receiver, but a willing blocker. He also wants character. You get all of that here, with a player whose dad played in the league. I am going to expect a lot of folks to eat crow once games start.
                    Disagree with him being the best route runner in the draft, it's MHJ. He's a very good route runner, but every draft has a best route runner in the draft. Allen was one of the best in the NFL. Kenny Pickett was the best QB prospect in his draft year, that didn't make him a replacement for Big Ben.

There's a chance McConkey could be a Keenan Allen replacement this year. There's a chance he could do it in the future, but if there was a good chance he could produce like Keenan Allen he would have gone in the top 5.

I also don't think having Roman as his offensive coordinator will help. There are things he does well, but helping out WRs isn't one of them.

Comment

• BoltUp InLA
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Sep 2020
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Duck of Death View Post
                      Everyone has a take so here’s mine:

- Ladd would’ve been my choice at #23, had they traded down. I was texting my football buddies the night before that they absolutely HAD to go get this guy. So yeah, to say I am elated is an understatement.

- Straight up, he is uncoverable. His snap down before breaks is unreal. He made SEC DBs look silly, & he did it again at the Senior Bowl. Best route runner in the draft & that’s saying a lot, Before long, he will be considered among the best route runners in the NFL. Seriously, I mean no hyperbole here - he is that good.

- High character guy. I guarantee he will not be another Crashee Rice.
                      I admit,, I knew little about this prospect at first. His combine numbers are more similar to Nabers than you think. His short area quicknes, speed, and route running is straight elite when comparing against other WR in this draft. I see why now the Chargers moved up a couple of spots to ensure they get him. Drafting him instantly improves this roster.

Comment

• AKFlyFisher
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Dec 2020
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by eaterfan View Post

Disagree with him being the best route runner in the draft, it's MHJ. He's a very good route runner, but every draft has a best route runner in the draft. Allen was one of the best in the NFL. Kenny Pickett was the best QB prospect in his draft year, that didn't make him a replacement for Big Ben.

There's a chance McConkey could be a Keenan Allen replacement this year. There's a chance he could do it in the future, but if there was a good chance he could produce like Keenan Allen he would have gone in the top 5.

I also don't think having Roman as his offensive coordinator will help. There are things he does well, but helping out WRs isn't one of them.
                        I disagree with most of what you said. I think MH Jr was vastly overrated. If his father wasn't Marvin Harrison, I'm not sure folks would be making some of these comments.

Saying that, I've reflected on this draft a bit, and I agree that a lot of these comments about McConkey's potential production ignore that Roman simply is not a great OC. McConkey is not coming here and going to be maximized in a heavy pass offense -- like Allen -- where he can develop fully and quickly. Because of that, moving up for him, now, doesn't make much sense to me. Don't get me wrong, I like him, but the way this offense will be run, he will be a JAG. That's why they didn't draft Nabers -- he doesn't fit the offense they want to run. So saying that, trading up for a JAG, doesn't make much sense.

Comment

• Duck of Death
                          Social Piranha
                          • May 2022
                          • Flyover, USA
                          • Send PM

Marcus from That Franchise Guy is one of my favorite YT draftniks. He does a nice review on Ladd at about 47:40 of the linked video

Comment

Working...
                          X