• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fouts2herbert
    Charger Fan since 1978
    • Sep 2021
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

For sure... they could bring in a vet to compete. Let them compete. Get this OL right and get some depth.
    I was never high on Becton to begin with. His injury history concerns make him even less attractive.
    I have a feeling that Becton is not even on the radar, Harbaugh wants hard working guys and Becton has had weight issues which implies that he's immature and lazy and not understanding that he's a professional athlete, the fact no one has signed him yet is really telling especially at his age, he will get a second chance somewhere but he's going to have to play a prove it type deal and show that his head is in the right place...I can see them adding another veteran to the O-line mix but honestly this is probably the deepest group I can remember in a really long time, even the LT era lines didn't have this much depth...
    "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
      Charger Fan since 1978
      • Sep 2021
      • Send PM

Yeah, Tarheeb Still wasn't on my radar at all. Cam Hart seemed like a good value pick @#140. I trust Harbaugh/Minter... so I will wait and see about Still. Maybe he fits in Minter's scheme.

Both Rice and Cornelius were on my radar. The value on Rice @#225 is very good. I'm not sure why he was available there. Rice, Cornelius, and Fehoko will be competing for that #5 WR spot.

I liked Nourzad also. Drake Nugent and Andrew Raym were guys I focussed on in the later rounds. Both went undrafted. Maybe they like McFadden and Jaimes. Maybe they bring in a vet OC FA.
      Same for me on Still, I had to look him up, but from what I've read he's versatile can play slot our boundary and he tackles well, apparently they want their CBs to fucking hit and tackle, LOL...I also noticed that both Still and Hart are bigger guys too....

I wonder how Leonard fits, he's been really good on STs and he was coming on as CB, he's also bigger and can run, how has Leonard's tackling been? I'm thinking if he was hitting on STs maybe he was hitting on defense too? IDK that's why I'm asking...
      "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Jack Burton
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Apr 2023
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

I have a feeling that Becton is not even on the radar, Harbaugh wants hard working guys and Becton has had weight issues which implies that he's immature and lazy and not understanding that he's a professional athlete, the fact no one has signed him yet is really telling especially at his age, he will get a second chance somewhere but he's going to have to play a prove it type deal and show that his head is in the right place...I can see them adding another veteran to the O-line mix but honestly this is probably the deepest group I can remember in a really long time, even the LT era lines didn't have this much depth...
        Yeah, I have a really hard time believing Harbaugh wants anything to do with Becton.
        I don’t think they add anybody to the O line at this point. I think they are now going to take these guys and mold them to what they want.

Comment

• Jack Burton
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Apr 2023
          • Send PM

Same for me on Still, I had to look him up, but from what I've read he's versatile can play slot our boundary and he tackles well, apparently they want their CBs to fucking hit and tackle, LOL...I also noticed that both Still and Hart are bigger guys too....

I wonder how Leonard fits, he's been really good on STs and he was coming on as CB, he's also bigger and can run, how has Leonard's tackling been? I'm thinking if he was hitting on STs maybe he was hitting on defense too? IDK that's why I'm asking...
          Guys, Harbaugh said he likes McFadden at C, I’d take him at his word.

Comment

• powderblueboy
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jul 2017
            • Send PM

I'm still concerned about the interior. Zion/Bosemen/Pip/McFadden ..... a bottom tier group based on last year who will no doubt improve under the current system.

McFadden had to make the switch and was not thrown into the fray right away .... looking at this body type - big hands/long arms to boot, he might be a good one.

Salyer seems to be the swing tackle? He was a disaster at guard last year - and who could blame him?

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
              Charger Fan since 1978
              • Sep 2021
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Jack Burton View Post

Yeah, I have a really hard time believing Harbaugh wants anything to do with Becton.
              I don’t think they add anybody to the O line at this point. I think they are now going to take these guys and mold them to what they want.
              before the draft we already had 9 guys:

Slater
              Zion
              Bozeman
              Pipkins
              Salyer
              Jaimes
              McFadden
              Sarrell
              Laing

then we drafted Alt and signed 4 more UDRFAs bringing the total to 14 O-linemen, 5 offensive tackles, 2 centers, and 6 guys that are combinations of either C/G or G/OT...chance are they'll carry maybe 9? so that leaves 5 guys to fill out 3 or 4 practice squad spots...

you might be right, they might have enough guys already...

Comment

• Xenos
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Feb 2019
                • Send PM

Yeah, Tarheeb Still wasn't on my radar at all. Cam Hart seemed like a good value pick @#140. I trust Harbaugh/Minter... so I will wait and see about Still. Maybe he fits in Minter's scheme.

Both Rice and Cornelius were on my radar. The value on Rice @#225 is very good. I'm not sure why he was available there. Rice, Cornelius, and Fehoko will be competing for that #5 WR spot.

I liked Nourzad also. Drake Nugent and Andrew Raym were guys I focussed on in the later rounds. Both went undrafted. Maybe they like McFadden and Jaimes. Maybe they bring in a vet OC FA.
                Since Bozeman will be the starting OC this season, I’m assuming the backup will have to be someone who can play Center and either guard position. Anyone left in FA who can do that?
                Last edited by Xenos; 04-28-2024, 10:55 AM.

Comment

• Xenos
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

One of Telesco and scouting departments strengths was UDFAs. Chargers were probably in the top tier of teams in that over the Telesco years.

It was like being malnourished by the main course, but getting a great desert.

A lot of Telesco bagging, but he was better than we let on ..... just was hamstrung by not knowing how to draft interior players, and getting a collection of bad head coaches
                  so that he had to keep drafting for different preferences every 4 years, with zero positive input by the head coaches.
                  I also think he was generally good in the first two rounds. It’s round 3-7 that was more weird. I think the only exception was maybe the 2018 draft where we got contributors like Justin Jones, Kyzir White, and Justin Jackson.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                    Charger Fan since 1978
                    • Sep 2021
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

I'm still concerned about the interior. Zion/Bosemen/Pip/McFadden ..... a bottom tier group based on last year who will no doubt improve under the current system.

McFadden had to make the switch and was not thrown into the fray right away .... looking at this body type - big hands/long arms to boot, he might be a good one.

Salyer seems to be the swing tackle? He was a disaster at guard last year - and who could blame him?
                    the interior has 8 bodies to fill 5 spots 3 starters and two backups Zion, Bozeman, Pipkins, Salyer, McFadden, Jaimes, Laing, and don't forget the two new UDRFAs, Barnhart Michigan and Patrick TCU...

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jul 2022
                      • White Rock, BC Canada
                      • Send PM

Rankings don't mean much when some of those names were supposed to get picked in day two and then went undrafted...that means that EVERYONE in the NFL that is a professional scout had issue with those players for some reason or another...we don't get to meet these guys in person and interview them and neither do most people that write up those rankings...then there is the medical stuff which we also don't get to see...
                      I get that is is only rankings. Rankings are just general seedings in relation to a players measurables or body of work.

But to your point every single UDFA slipped though the draft and didnt get picked for one reason or another. That does not mean there are not tiers of players that are left.

Comment

• sonorajim
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post
                        Anybody else surprised by just one RB pick, and unless I missed an update, ZERO UDFA RBs?

They must feel REALLY good about Edward's and Dobbin's injury issues...not even bothering with camp fodder...

Dont know whether to be nervous...or very encouraged...
                        Dobbins, Edwards, Vidal. One of Spiller, Dotson, Paterson on the 53. I think.
                        And, according to Hortiz, he's always looking for any player who makes the team better.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                          Charger Fan since 1978
                          • Sep 2021
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

Since Bozeman will be the starting OC this season, I’m assuming the backup will have to be able someone who can play Center and either guard position. Anyone left in FA who can do that?
                          They like McFadden, they've been talking about him as a Center and we know he can play guard too, Laing and James also play center, with 14 bodies they are almost 3 deep at every position and with some guys being able to cover multiple positions which is fantastic, not to mention that by pushing the depth from top to bottom with the Alt pick, they have now created not just depth but experienced depth too...

Comment

Working...
                          X