• Show
Clear All
  • Boltjolt
    Dont let the PBs fool ya
    • Jun 2013
    • Henderson, NV
    • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

One of Telesco and scouting departments strengths was UDFAs. Chargers were probably in the top tier of teams in that over the Telesco years.

It was like being malnourished by the main course, but getting a great desert.

A lot of Telesco bagging, but he was better than we let on ..... just was hamstrung by not knowing how to draft interior players, and getting a collection of bad head coaches
    so that he had to keep drafting for different preferences every 4 years, with zero positive input by the head coaches.
    He is what his record says he is....which is 84-92 in 11 seasons...and why we had no division titles under him and only 2 playoff appearances. The only difference right now is he didnt pick his HC.

Comment

• Xenos
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

They like McFadden, they've been talking about him as a Center and we know he can play guard too, Laing and James also play center, with 14 bodies they are almost 3 deep at every position and with some guys being able to cover multiple positions which is fantastic, not to mention that by pushing the depth from top to bottom with the Alt pick, they have now created not just depth but experienced depth too...
      I think my fear is that Jaimes didn’t look that good filling in as backup Center to the backup Center last season. McFadden has never played Center before as well. Hopefully they all get coached up especially since we have Hardwick on staff. But I would feel better having another guy with experience at such a crucial position.

Comment

• sonorajim
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post
        I think my fear is that Jaimes didn’t look that good filling in as backup Center to the backup Center last season. McFadden has never played Center before as well. Hopefully they all get coached up especially since we have Hardwick on staff. But I would feel better having another guy with experience at such a crucial position.
        I hear you. My guess, they wait and see. Maybe McFadden looks great in OTAs. Maybe Hortiz finds a FA or trade.

ps: Bucky Williams- wait & see.

Comment

• Eurobolt
          *** Jim Harbaugh ***
          • Sep 2018
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

He is what his record says he is....which is 84-92 in 11 seasons...and why we had no division titles under him and only 2 playoff appearances. The only difference right now is he didnt pick his HC.
          Seriously how many gems have the found over the years?

I think the roster was very poor constructed (top very tallented) escpecially bottom half was always full of wtf players (what we have seen when injuries hit top talent) so it was easy for UDFA to get on a team.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
            Charger Fan since 1978
            • Sep 2021
            • Send PM

Originally posted by CanadianBoltFan View Post

I get that is is only rankings. Rankings are just general seedings in relation to a players measurables or body of work.

But to your point every single UDFA slipped though the draft and didnt get picked for one reason or another. That does not mean there are not tiers of players that are left.
            tiers? UDRFA you are looking for traits that you can work with and try to mold into someone that can be a back up, STs contributor, and rare cases perhaps something more...look at the guys that HISTORICALLY became something for us in UDRFA, Gates didn't even play college football so he wasn't even in a tier, I doubt anyone had ekeler ranked as a high priority free agent on any of those lists either, Malcom Floyd, etc...even Wes Welker was a height, weight, speed deficient guy that was unappreciated despite high production in college, tiers don't mean shit at this point, either a guy get's pissed by getting passed over in the draft or he feels disappointed about being passed over so most of those higher tier guys aren't going nowhere because of how they approach it mentally, are they willing to put in the HARD work it'll take to make it on an NFL roster?

I think at that point the lower ranked guys that came from smaller schools and less known college careers might have an advantage over the higher tiered guys that were pampered and highly recruited because they want it more and are more willing to do the dirty work to earn their place...
            "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
              Charger Fan since 1978
              • Sep 2021
              • Send PM

so by that measure let's keep pipkins at RT because Alt has no experience? if they like McFadden enough to drop his name the way that they have been it might even mean that they see him as the future starter after Bozeman leaves in FA in 2025, hell, what if he beats Bozeman this summer? would that make you feel better then? I mean we'd have a more experienced back up, right?
              "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Charge!
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Aug 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Stinky Wizzleteats+ View Post
                He looks like he has great hands!

Comment

• Boltnut
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Send PM

I think most of us believed that the Chargers would draft safety, tight end, and IOL depth during the draft.
                  But we didn't. For that reason, I think Dent, Heins, and Barnhart have a real shot to make the 53-man roster.
                  I've looked at these 3 prospect's tape (pre-draft) multiple times and I'm pretty stoked to see them as UDFA's.

Comment

• bartman83642
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post
                    Anybody else surprised by just one RB pick, and unless I missed an update, ZERO UDFA RBs?

They must feel REALLY good about Edward's and Dobbin's injury issues...not even bothering with camp fodder...

Dont know whether to be nervous...or very encouraged...
                    I was surprised. I thought they might sign George Holani as they checked him out pretty extensively at his pro day. Probably didn’t due to injury concerns but he found a home with the Seahawks.

Comment

• Whydachargers?
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Aug 2023
                      • Send PM

Since Bozeman will be the starting OC this season, I’m assuming the backup will have to be someone who can play Center and either guard position. Anyone left in FA who can do that?
                      I'm hoping they can maybe trade Pipkins for a C/G guy.

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jul 2022
                        • White Rock, BC Canada
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

tiers? UDRFA you are looking for traits that you can work with and try to mold into someone that can be a back up, STs contributor, and rare cases perhaps something more...look at the guys that HISTORICALLY became something for us in UDRFA, Gates didn't even play college football so he wasn't even in a tier, I doubt anyone had ekeler ranked as a high priority free agent on any of those lists either, Malcom Floyd, etc...even Wes Welker was a height, weight, speed deficient guy that was unappreciated despite high production in college, tiers don't mean shit at this point, either a guy get's pissed by getting passed over in the draft or he feels disappointed about being passed over so most of those higher tier guys aren't going nowhere because of how they approach it mentally, are they willing to put in the HARD work it'll take to make it on an NFL roster?

I think at that point the lower ranked guys that came from smaller schools and less known college careers might have an advantage over the higher tiered guys that were pampered and highly recruited because they want it more and are more willing to do the dirty work to earn their place...
                        You make a point although if you look at the Chargers draft it is pretty clear they favor players from the serious programs not small schools.

Not a big deal, just an observation that the Chargers did not sign a single UDFA in the top 75 rated UDFA on PFF. After hearing for months on here that Harbaugh would have a major advantage with UDFA it just felt pretty surprising and underwhelming to me. He didnt even bag the Wolverines like Nugent or MacGregor. That is not what we all expected.

Dont worry, I love the draft and in JH2 i trust, just sharing an observation on UDFAs

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Dec 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

There was a chart that showed by by team, in the 11 years of Telesco, I guess you could call it "WAR" equivalency - without the QB position for the rest of the roster. The Chargers were 3rd worst.

Telesco got Rivers, drafted Herbert -- and never built teams around those players
                          OLine - continually suspect
                          Running game - whats that
                          Defense - some years better than other but never something to hang the hat on

Comment

Working...
                          X