• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fouts2herbert
    Charger Fan since 1978
    • Sep 2021
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post

It seems unlikely-- as with all UDFA-- that he'll develop, but his tool kit is so outstanding that he'll be interesting to keep an eye on.

And ideally, I think it makes sense to have a backup QB who is similar to the starter, so that the style of the offense doesn't have to change if the starter has to miss some time.
    Impossible, if the chargers find something similar to Herbert, Hortiz will be trading one of the two for multiple number one picks in two shakes of a lamb's tail...
    "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
      Beef Before Gazelles
      • May 2021
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

Impossible, if the chargers find something similar to Herbert, Hortiz will be trading one of the two for multiple number one picks in two shakes of a lamb's tail...
      Uhm... I wasn't suggesting that Bauman has the capacity to be anywhere near the QB that Herb is. Only that his physique and athleticism suggest that-- if he had to come into a game-- the offense wouldn't have to change its play calling and protections to accommodate him.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
        Charger Fan since 1978
        • Sep 2021
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post

Uhm... I wasn't suggesting that Bauman has the capacity to be anywhere near the QB that Herb is. Only that his physique and athleticism suggest that-- if he had to come into a game-- the offense wouldn't have to change its play calling and protections to accommodate him.
        I know what you meant, you meant like a Jackson/Huntley kind of deal...I was just fuggin' around
        "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• LarryAW
          Chargers fan since 1970
          • Sep 2018
          • Chula Vista, CA
          • retired paralegal/court reporter
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

tiers? UDRFA you are looking for traits that you can work with and try to mold into someone that can be a back up, STs contributor, and rare cases perhaps something more...look at the guys that HISTORICALLY became something for us in UDRFA, Gates didn't even play college football so he wasn't even in a tier, I doubt anyone had ekeler ranked as a high priority free agent on any of those lists either, Malcom Floyd, etc...even Wes Welker was a height, weight, speed deficient guy that was unappreciated despite high production in college, tiers don't mean shit at this point, either a guy get's pissed by getting passed over in the draft or he feels disappointed about being passed over so most of those higher tier guys aren't going nowhere because of how they approach it mentally, are they willing to put in the HARD work it'll take to make it on an NFL roster?

I think at that point the lower ranked guys that came from smaller schools and less known college careers might have an advantage over the higher tiered guys that were pampered and highly recruited because they want it more and are more willing to do the dirty work to earn their place...
          With regard to Malcolm Floyd, good thing the Chargers had more patience that most of the fans here do. Took a little while to develop (to say the least):

Complete career NFL stats for San Diego Chargers Wide Receiver Malcom Floyd on ESPN. Includes scoring, rushing, defensive and receiving stats.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
            Day Tripper
            • May 2019
            • North of the Lagoon
            • Send PM

Originally posted by LarryAW View Post

With regard to Malcolm Floyd, good thing the Chargers had more patience that most of the fans here do. Took a little while to develop (to say the least):

https://www.espn.com/nfl/player/stat...6/malcom-floyd
            It took VJax a long time to develop too. Took TWilliams time. Many others.

QJ was discarded as a bust by week 4 of his rookie season here. Just an observation.
            “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
              Moderate Skeptic
              • May 2022
              • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

QJ was discarded as a bust by week 4 of his rookie season here. Just an observation.
              Possibly because he had been built up so much during the draft process that reality was in short supply . . . . . . . . and unrealistic expectations abounded

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                Charger Fan since 1978
                • Sep 2021
                • Send PM

Originally posted by LarryAW View Post

https://www.espn.com/nfl/player/stat...6/malcom-floyd
                I'd be shocked if this new administration took on developmental projects of that ilk again, look how long it took pipkins to become a serviceable player...

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                  Charger Fan since 1978
                  • Sep 2021
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

QJ is going to pop this year, the kid's a hard worker and he's not happy with how 2023 went down either...

Comment

• ChargerBooster
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Sep 2021
                    • Send PM

The UDFA that captures my eye as an NFL prospect is Zack Heins, TE. To me his blocking, technique, size and apparent strength scream NFL player.

Back to the previous, ongoing convo’s and comments . . .

Note from ChargerBooster: the QJ detractors, judges-and-juries, while they could prove right, have passed ‘final’ judgement so prematurely it’s pathetic. I get wanting our draftees, especially first round picks to immediately start their journey to enshrinement to Canton, even as often small school competitors and with zip League experience by definition. Too many won’t concede the very real possibility that theirs was a lemming-like rush to judgement. Again, that may well prove to be the case, but for crissakes give a guy time to develop. Consider if you prove to be right, it would mean wasted draft pick, roster spot, etc.

Comment

• el_jefe999
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jan 2023
                      • Send PM

Every regime plays lip service to "lining them up and letting them complete" but it feels like we are actually seeing it happen now by bringing an overabundance of players and letting the ones that perform rise to the top. I think we are still thin at DT but every other position groups seems pretty stocked. I would still be up for signing a quality CB if there is a surprise cut though.

Comment

• gzubeck
                        Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Tucson, AZ
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by el_jefe999 View Post
                        Every regime plays lip service to "lining them up and letting them complete" but it feels like we are actually seeing it happen now by bringing an overabundance of players and letting the ones that perform rise to the top. I think we are still thin at DT but every other position groups seems pretty stocked. I would still be up for signing a quality CB if there is a surprise cut though.
                        Surprise cut? They already let Davis walk so Samuel? Other than that CB positions are wide open for competition.
                        Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• WindsorUK
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jul 2013
                          • Windsor, U.K.
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

Surprise cut? They already let Davis walk so Samuel? Other than that CB positions are wide open for competition.
                          No....he's suggesting a surprise cut from ANOTHER team. Perhaps a veteran? To compete against our group of young guys

Comment

Working...
                          X