• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fleet
    TPB Founder
    • Jun 2013
    • Cardiff - Poipu
    • Send PM

Never heard that before. Its been 5 years of the same cliche statements regarding losing.

Comment

• buttkissdick
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Aug 2017
      • Send PM

At what point do you call a spade a spade ?? he isn't Clutch & he was at one point, But he hasn't been in a LONG TIME

He has nice Stats & a certain RB & TE helped him post those.....A certain goofy/Simpsons looking character WR named Malcom Floyd also helped him post those stats

FYI: Malcom is probably one of my favorite Chargers of All TIME.....I was at his last Game at Qualcomm, I cryed when they play a Retirement Video on Shitty Video screen after he made a catch during the end of the Game..The Green Day "Time of your Life"
      #Prettyboyfloyd #longneckman

Comment

fender57
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by buttkissdick View Post
        At what point do you call a spade a spade ?? he isn't Clutch & he was at one point, But he hasn't been in a LONG TIME

He has nice Stats & a certain RB & TE helped him post those.....A certain goofy/Simpsons looking character WR named Malcom Floyd also helped him post those stats

FYI: Malcom is probably one of my favorite Chargers of All TIME.....I was at his last Game at Qualcomm, I cryed when they play a Retirement Video on Shitty Video screen after he made a catch during the end of the Game..The Green Day "Time of your Life"

Comment

• buttkissdick
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Aug 2017
          • Send PM

True that...It has a Bad Title, But the lyrics are heart melting

Comment

• richpjr
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Nashville
            • Send PM

How Chargers QB Philip Rivers can get his groove back

CARSON, Calif. -- Philip Rivers is a creature of habit.

Who can blame him? He had been with the same team, living in the same city for 13 years before the Los Angeles Chargers packed up and moved to Costa Mesa this year.

Now, Rivers is playing in a new stadium, in a new city and dealing with the pressures of trying to win over a new fan base in L.A. -- a city that so far has been indifferent to the Bolts' presence.

Sunday's performance against the Kansas City Chiefs didn't help win over any fans. In a game ready for the taking, the Chargers lacked killer instinct on offense, with Rivers throwing three interceptions. Philip Rivers completed just half of his passes and threw three picks in the loss to the Chiefs. Jeff Gross/Getty Images
            "I really was just never in any kind of groove the whole day," Rivers said. "Shoot, anytime a quarterback plays that poorly, it's going to be tough to win, and that's really a shame because our defense was awesome."

Rivers might as well have been playing 7-on-7, the protection was so good, with two sacks coming late in the game when the Chiefs knew the Chargers were going to throw. Pressure was not an issue in Rivers' performance.

Running back Melvin Gordon's play was the only saving grace for the offense. He finished with 79 yards on 18 carries, with 78 of those coming in the first half before the Wisconsin product went out with a knee injury.

Gordon returned later in the second half but was ineffective, and the Chargers' running game suffered.

Rivers has been commuting back and forth from San Diego with backup quarterback Kellen Clemens.

He has a driver and a revamped SUV that allows him to prepare during the ride home to his wife and eight kids, so he doesn't miss any time with his preparation.

Gordon said that relocation isn't an excuse for the offense's ineffectiveness and the move doesn't have anything to do with how the offense is executing on the field.

"That has nothing to do with what we have going on out here," Gordon said. "I think our full focus is on the game. He [Rivers] just made a couple mistakes. It happens, and it is what it is. But he's the leader, so we rally behind him.

"He makes a mistake, and he gets over it. We get over it. We have to go out there as a team and try and make him play a winning game."

Gordon is right. Rivers' issues have more to do with getting into a rhythm on offense. We're talking about someone with a career 64.4 percent completion percentage that completed just 50 percent of his throws in a 24-10 loss against the Chiefs on Sunday.

According to ESPN Stats & Information, Rivers was off-target on 11 throws, two of which were intercepted. The 11 off-target passes are tied for the most by a quarterback in a game this season, and Rivers' 27 percent off-target rate is his third-worst mark in the past five seasons.

In his first two games of the season, Rivers combined to throw just 10 off-target passes with no interceptions.

The remedy? The Chargers and offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt have to get back to the quick, short passing game installed when he first joined the Chargers in 2013. That season, Rivers completed a career-high 69.5 percent of his passes on his way to a Pro Bowl season. That was also the last time the Chargers made the playoffs.

"It's too early to overact," Rivers said. "Shoot, last week it wasn't about four balls that hit the ground besides throwaways. This week, I didn't have a completion until halfway through the first quarter, except to the other team.

"I had more completions to the other team than I had to our team. I was just bad. There was just really nothing. I think you hope you avoid days like this all year long, but if you have them, shoot, learn from them and go -- and not overreact."

Comment

• Geezbolt
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Sun Valley, ID
              • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
              How Chargers QB Philip Rivers can get his groove back

"I had more completions to the other team than I had to our team.
              You can always count on Rivers to tell it like it is.

Comment

• SDFan
                Woober Goober
                • Jun 2013
                • Dolores, CO
                • Retired
                • Send PM

Originally posted by buttkissdick View Post

^this ^ I used to catch flak here when I mentioned Rivers was not elite in the category with Manning, Brady, Rogers- who could will their team to victory and elevated the play of those around him. He's proven to not even be the best of his draft class. It is what it is: Rivers career = Dan Marino or Bernie Kosar.
                Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• richpjr
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Nashville
                  • Send PM

He had a horrible game yesterday. And yet, if Koo makes a kick or our ST doesn't allow the kick to be blocked against Denver, his performance could certainly have been considered clutch in the first 2 games of the season.

Comment

• oneinchpunch
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

To answer the original post. No. Rivers is no longer clutch. Which is painful for me to admit.
                    Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• Boltjolt
                      Dont let the PBs fool ya
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Henderson, NV
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by SDfan View Post

^this ^ I used to catch flak here when I mentioned Rivers was not elite in the category with Manning, Brady, Rogers- who could will their team to victory and elevated the play of those around him. He's proven to not even be the best of his draft class. It is what it is: Rivers career = Dan Marino or Bernie Kosar.
                      Bernie Kosar? When was Kosar ever mentioned in the same breath with Dan Marino? Surely you're not suggesting Rivers career equals kosar's. That would be very Dumb.
                      Last edited by Boltjolt; 09-25-2017, 03:54 PM.

Comment

• Steve
                        Administrator
                        • Jun 2013
                        • South Carolina
                        • Meteorologist
                        • Send PM

We need to get the OL to block better. The OL isn't giving Rivers enough time, so our offense is too limited with just short passing concepts. Too many passes Rivers is getting rid of the ball too quickly. We are very, very limited by being forced to run shorter routes, or on the longer routes, leaving Henry and/or Gordon in to block.

I actually think the run game could be there if they can just get Oliver and Gordon going, but they spend too much time dodging DL in the backfield. They are leaving some runs out on the field, but they are not in rhythm with the OL. On runs, they anticipate making the cuts early, and then the RB is out of position when the blocks develop a bit later.

Too many routes Rivers throws and the WR is either not in position, or the throws get rushed and are not as accurate as they should be. On the bad throws, our WR are not doing a very good job of fighting for the ball. It's as if they just are only worried if it is a pass they can catch. and the WR HAVE to run better routes.

Basically, I don't think anyone on O is playing that well. Rivers is certainly not the start of the problems. He is part of it, but if everyone else does their jobs well, Rivers can take us where we need to go. He isn't going to be able to overcome everything else that is wrong with the O.

The D mostly needs to do a better job of their run fits and then getting everyone pursuing together. I was watching the Washington game last night, and while they didn't miss many tackles. When they did miss a tackle, Oakland didn't do anything because the Redskins had a 2nd (and 3rd) guy in position to finish. Better technique, better teamwork. It's like everyone slows up when the 1st guy gets there, and when he doesn't finish, the ball carrier breaks loose and gets extra yardage.

Comment

• Boltx
                          Dominate the day
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                          We need to get the OL to block better. The OL isn't giving Rivers enough time, so our offense is too limited with just short passing concepts. Too many passes Rivers is getting rid of the ball too quickly. We are very, very limited by being forced to run shorter routes, or on the longer routes, leaving Henry and/or Gordon in to block.

I actually think the run game could be there if they can just get Oliver and Gordon going, but they spend too much time dodging DL in the backfield. They are leaving some runs out on the field, but they are not in rhythm with the OL. On runs, they anticipate making the cuts early, and then the RB is out of position when the blocks develop a bit later.

Too many routes Rivers throws and the WR is either not in position, or the throws get rushed and are not as accurate as they should be. On the bad throws, our WR are not doing a very good job of fighting for the ball. It's as if they just are only worried if it is a pass they can catch. and the WR HAVE to run better routes.

Basically, I don't think anyone on O is playing that well. Rivers is certainly not the start of the problems. He is part of it, but if everyone else does their jobs well, Rivers can take us where we need to go. He isn't going to be able to overcome everything else that is wrong with the O.

The D mostly needs to do a better job of their run fits and then getting everyone pursuing together. I was watching the Washington game last night, and while they didn't miss many tackles. When they did miss a tackle, Oakland didn't do anything because the Redskins had a 2nd (and 3rd) guy in position to finish. Better technique, better teamwork. It's like everyone slows up when the 1st guy gets there, and when he doesn't finish, the ball carrier breaks loose and gets extra yardage.
                          Good take as always Steve but we've basically been saying this exact same narrative for 8 years now. It's pointless.
                          ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

Working...
                          X