• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CTrout
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

It's being reported the NFL salary cap will go up about 12 million. Was 155 now 167.
    With a few expected cuts we could have close to 30 million.....even after Ingram tag. Plenty of $$ to address some weak spots.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
      Grammar Police
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Chiefs cut Jamal Charles.
      Go Rivers!

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
        No Sir, I Dont Like It
        • Jun 2013
        • Section 457
        • Migrant Film Worker
        • Send PM

Originally posted by SDfan View Post
        I sure wouldn't look for Chagras to make a big splash this year in FA with all the $ it's costing to move. As for interior OL, I can easily see them cutting Franklin, moving Slauson to LG, staring Teurk at OC and leaving Fluker at RG. Pulley backs up, and they look for a bargain basement vet OG late in the process. Fill in the holes with draft and UDFAs on practice squad.
        Agree, except I'm thinking Pulley starts and Fluker replaces Barksdale at RT.
        Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
        sigpic

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
          No Sir, I Dont Like It
          • Jun 2013
          • Section 457
          • Migrant Film Worker
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Bearded14YourPleasure View Post
          I don't think an OG or Reiff would be considered a 'big splash' in FA. Benjamin was probably our 'big splash' signing last year and was one of the more disappointing signings. I'll gladly take a Hayward-level signing on the OL. I do agree that Tuerk being put into the mix along with Pulley and Clark may be the only change made but it's at the offseason and I allow myself to have hope for the franchise.
          I could see Clark in the OT mix too.
          Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
          sigpic

Comment

• CTrout
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

One guy who gets overlooked (and shouldnt) is Tyler Johnstone. I believe he spent the year on IR but if he can bounce back from the knee injury....he has good chance to earn a spot.

Last year's draft profile....
            STRENGTHS: When healthy, Johnstone shows a rare blend of length, agility and initial quickness which made him a formidable blind-side pass protector. He springs out of his stance and latches on to corral speed rushers and is surprisingly effective against bull rushers due to good core strength, balance and technique to maintain leverage.
            Johnstone's athleticism made him very effective blocking on the move in Oregon's zone attack, frequently beating opponents at the line of scrimmage or the second level with quickness to turn and seal them from the play. Unlike many athletic blockers, Johnstone seems to revel in the opportunity to drive block opponents, as well, offering a physical jolt to greet defenders and a tenacious play-to-the-whistle style that is sure to endear him to NFL offensive line coaches. He showed toughness and resiliency in returning from the injuries was voted a captain by his teammates.

WEAKNESSES: Johnstone originally tore the ACL during Oregon's 30-7 thumping of Texas in the Alamo Bowl to end the 2013 season. After surgery and rehabilitation, he re-tore the ligament approximately seven months later on the first full day of fall camp for the 2014 season. He struggled early in 2015, lacking the same burst and agility he'd played with earlier in his career and there is concern that he'll never fully regain his mobility. Even when healthy, Johnstone was reliant on his athleticism, showing less than ideal upper-body strength to create movement at the point of attack and lacking the power and preferred nastiness in his play to sustain blocks.

IN OUR VIEW: Perhaps as much as any offensive lineman in this class, Johnstone's ultimate draft slot hinges on the medical grade he receivers from team doctors. If clubs feel that he'll regain his mobility, Johnstone has top 100 potential, projecting best as a left tackle for a zone-blocking scheme.

--Rob Rang (@RobRang) (2/6/16)

Comment

• Rugger05
              Administrator
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by CTrout View Post
              One guy who gets overlooked (and shouldnt) is Tyler Johnstone. I believe he spent the year on IR but if he can bounce back from the knee injury....he has good chance to earn a spot.

Last year's draft profile....
              STRENGTHS: When healthy, Johnstone shows a rare blend of length, agility and initial quickness which made him a formidable blind-side pass protector. He springs out of his stance and latches on to corral speed rushers and is surprisingly effective against bull rushers due to good core strength, balance and technique to maintain leverage.
              Johnstone's athleticism made him very effective blocking on the move in Oregon's zone attack, frequently beating opponents at the line of scrimmage or the second level with quickness to turn and seal them from the play. Unlike many athletic blockers, Johnstone seems to revel in the opportunity to drive block opponents, as well, offering a physical jolt to greet defenders and a tenacious play-to-the-whistle style that is sure to endear him to NFL offensive line coaches. He showed toughness and resiliency in returning from the injuries was voted a captain by his teammates.

WEAKNESSES: Johnstone originally tore the ACL during Oregon's 30-7 thumping of Texas in the Alamo Bowl to end the 2013 season. After surgery and rehabilitation, he re-tore the ligament approximately seven months later on the first full day of fall camp for the 2014 season. He struggled early in 2015, lacking the same burst and agility he'd played with earlier in his career and there is concern that he'll never fully regain his mobility. Even when healthy, Johnstone was reliant on his athleticism, showing less than ideal upper-body strength to create movement at the point of attack and lacking the power and preferred nastiness in his play to sustain blocks.

IN OUR VIEW: Perhaps as much as any offensive lineman in this class, Johnstone's ultimate draft slot hinges on the medical grade he receivers from team doctors. If clubs feel that he'll regain his mobility, Johnstone has top 100 potential, projecting best as a left tackle for a zone-blocking scheme.

--Rob Rang (@RobRang) (2/6/16)
              Another guy who gets overlooked is Donovan Clark from Michigan State. I read numerous reports of him being very good in camp before he blew out his knee.

Comment

• Fleet
                TPB Founder
                • Jun 2013
                • Cardiff - Poipu
                • Send PM

With Free Agency coming up im really interested in seeing what we do at Safety. We are actually in a pretty good position at 7 to do what we want in free agency. The position that is sort of difficult to navigate though as far as the elite talent goes is safety. Its a pretty huge need for us but we could easily miss out on Adams and Hooker. Its a very deep draft at the position. But there is a drop off after those top 2 players. So whats the plan in free agency? I think you have to at least protect yourself if you are going into the draft hoping for one of those 2 guys. Addae will most likely be re-signed and go to a reserve roll if we draft Adams. But we may miss out on Adams. I wonder how TT will approach that position so that hes not left with very limited choices in the draft by passing on free agents. If he does that. And forced to reach.

I dont like our chances for Adams. I may not like our chances for Hooker as well if he wasn't injured. Do you draft a player coming off injury on a team that has suffered so terribly with injuries? If we wait until the draft to address that need by not participating in free agency, we may be relying on the 2nd tier players at the position in the draft. Maybe even have to reach in the 2nd for a player since its such a need and there's is a run late in the 1st. Deep positions go on runs. But typically Safeties tend to drop more than most positions. I would love to be in play for Jefferson in free agency. I think he would be a great fit here. Then go into the draft not having to stress so hard on Safety in the first 2 rounds. It would also allow us to get good OL value in the 2nd.

Sign Tony Jefferson SS

Go after one of the DL at 7. Garrett, Thomas, or Allen. I also like Barnett.

Then in round 2 you have some value options at OG and S most likely. Guys like Feeney and Lamp.

This way we can still get a safety but when its a good value pick. If Adams is there 7 he has the skills to play FS. So you most likely instantly have a top 3 secondary in a pass happy league. And a situation like Seattle has had for a few years now.

Comment

• Rugger05
                  Administrator
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post
                  With Free Agency coming up im really interested in seeing what we do at Safety. We are actually in a pretty good position at 7 to do what we want in free agency. The position that is sort of difficult to navigate though as far as the elite talent goes is safety. Its a pretty huge need for us but we could easily miss out on Adams and Hooker. Its a very deep draft at the position. But there is a drop off after those top 2 players. So whats the plan in free agency? I think you have to at least protect yourself if you are going into the draft hoping for one of those 2 guys. Addae will most likely be re-signed and go to a reserve roll if we draft Adams. But we may miss out on Adams. I wonder how TT will approach that position so that hes not left with very limited choices in the draft by passing on free agents. If he does that. And forced to reach.

I dont like our chances for Adams. I may not like our chances for Hooker as well if he wasn't injured. Do you draft a player coming off injury on a team that has suffered so terribly with injuries? If we wait until the draft to address that need by not participating in free agency, we may be relying on the 2nd tier players at the position in the draft. Maybe even have to reach in the 2nd for a player since its such a need and there's is a run late in the 1st. Deep positions go on runs. But typically Safeties tend to drop more than most positions. I would love to be in play for Jefferson in free agency. I think he would be a great fit here. Then go into the draft not having to stress so hard on Safety in the first 2 rounds. It would also allow us to get good OL value in the 2nd.

Sign Tony Jefferson SS

Go after one of the DL at 7. Garrett, Thomas, or Allen. I also like Barnett.

Then in round 2 you have some value options at OG and S most likely. Guys like Feeney and Lamp.

This way we can still get a safety but when its a good value pick. If Adams is there 7 he has the skills to play FS. So you most likely instantly have a top 3 secondary in a pass happy league. And a situation like Seattle has had for a few years now.
                  I like that plan. What are your thoughts on the DL McDowell from Michigan State?

Comment

• Fleet
                    TPB Founder
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Cardiff - Poipu
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Rugger05 View Post
                    I like that plan. What are your thoughts on the DL McDowell from Michigan State?
                    He had a bad stretch of games and i think thats why he came out of the season falling. Ive seen him climb though and im assuming its based on going over all his games and seeing the potential. I still think hes a back end of the 1st type guy.

Comment

• Formula 21
                      The Future is Now
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Republic of San Diego
                      • Send PM

Chargers in discussions to bring back RB Danny Woodhead
                      1:15 PM PT
                      Eric D. Williams
                      ESPN Staff Writer
                      SAN DIEGO -- One of the players sorely missed during a dismal 5-11 campaign by the Chargers last season was running back Danny Woodhead.

Woodhead suffered an ACL knee injury to his right knee that required surgery in a Week 2 contest against the Jaguars, ending his season.

However, during the locker-room cleanout at the end of the season, Woodhead indicated that his rehab was going well and he was on schedule to return to the field in 2017.

Danny Woodhead has been plagued by injuries, but the Chargers like his running style. AP Photo/Gregory Bull
                      General manager Tom Telesco told reporters at the NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis on Thursday that the Chargers are in talks to keep Woodhead with the team.

“We think he’s a valuable part of our offense,” Telesco said. “In his four years for us he’s been a very productive player. He’s a great person, great teammate. And he’s someone I’d like to keep here long-term, and we’ve been in discussions on that.”

Chargers head coach Anthony Lynn coached Woodhead while serving as the running backs coach for the Jets in 2009, and is familiar with the his skill set.

“Danny’s a tandem guy,” Lynn said. “He’s offers some change of pace. He’s quick and has good hands out of the backfield. I had Danny in New York, so I know Danny very well.

“He’s a good change-up from Melvin [Gordon]. Melvin is more of that bigger, taller, physical power runner. And Danny can bring that finesse, quickness and perimeter running game.”

Woodhead has been a valuable, impact player during his four seasons with the Chargers.

He had his most productive year in 2015, when he topped all running backs with 755 receiving yards and totaled 1,091 yards from scrimmage.

In four seasons with the Chargers, Woodhead finished with 2,348 yards from scrimmage (1,429 receiving and 919 rushing). During his time with the team, Woodhead established a good rapport with quarterback Philip Rivers and offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt.

However, Woodhead missed 27 games over the last three years due to injury in a time the Chargers struggled to keep impact players on the field.

Along with missing 14 games last year due an ACL knee injury, Woodhead missed 13 games in 2014 with a broken right ankle suffered against the Bills in Week 3.

Woodhead turned 32 in January, but has not had the wear and tear of other running backs his age on his body because his touches have been limited over the years.

“Danny has shown to be a really good football player in this league,” Whisenhunt said. “No question, him going out in the second game was something that hurt us, just because of his effectiveness.

“I hope we get him back because he’s a tremendous player.”
                      Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                      The Wasted Decade is done.
                      Build Back Better.

Comment

• Formula 21
                        The Future is Now
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Republic of San Diego
                        • Send PM

I'm glad to see a torn ACL and broken ankle don't count as wear and tear.
                        Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                        The Wasted Decade is done.
                        Build Back Better.

Comment

• Steve
                          Administrator
                          • Jun 2013
                          • South Carolina
                          • Meteorologist
                          • Send PM

Injuries or not, he is still the best 3rd down back in the NFL.

Comment

Working...
                          X