Clear All
  • SDFan
    Woober Goober
    • Jun 2013
    • Dolores, CO
    • Retired
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post
    While hes no Gates....i wonder if Barnidge on a friendly deal for a few years would be an easier separation from Gates after this season. He has talent as a receiving TE.
    Hunter Henry is all the separation from Gates needed. If I was HC, Henry would be starting this year with Gates as a situational player on limited snaps. Isn't Cumberland still on the roster? IIRC he looked pretty good last off season until he got hurt in fluke injury. If that's the right guy I'm thinking of and he's healthy, don't know why they would need to bring in another vet FA.
    Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• chargerkdb
      Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Hotter than hell, Georgia
      • Send PM

I'd take Barnidge over Cumberland coming off major surgery any day and I like Cumberland. We are looking good with Gates and Henry and admittedly we have some depth on paper but why not improve where we can?

Comment

• Fleet
        TPB Founder
        • Jun 2013
        • Cardiff - Poipu
        • Send PM

Henry has turned out to be a solid blocker. I think he will only get better. I think he can obviously take over Gates role but you could do more damage with Henry and Barnidge than Henry and Cumberland imo. I actually wanted to draft a TE this year that could block but was also a receiving threat. Im still a big fan of 2TE sets and i like the looks of Henry/Barnidge when Gates is gone. Of course it would have to be a minimum contract. 2 years 2 million of something like that.

Comment

• Steve
          Administrator
          • Jun 2013
          • South Carolina
          • Meteorologist
          • Send PM

Cumberland was a very good blocking TE for the Jets, but finally flashed some ability as a receiver last year in camp. Add in that Sean McGrath was a decent blocker last year and showed flashes as a receiver in KC. Neither is that special, but they are both solid, complete players who can do a lot of stuff well. They are just the extra TE. I do think if they had to fill in for a game here or there, as a starter, they would be OK.

Barnridge is a better receiver, but is not much of a blocker and at his age (31) he doesn't have much playing expreince. He has kicked around, and been on a lot of rosters, but until recently he never got on the field much. I think a big part of why he was so successful in Cleveland was there were so few other options.

Comment

• Fleet
            TPB Founder
            • Jun 2013
            • Cardiff - Poipu
            • Send PM

So few options yet still able to get open. Thats the thing with Barnidge. He gets open. Hes had terrible QB's to work with. I think if you are trying to duplicate a Gates/Henry scenario he is best of the 3 in doing that. I dont view Gates as a blocking TE. Thats why a guy like Barnidge seems to make sense running Gates routes. Henry will be able to do that so its not necessarily a need. I just tend to think Barnidge/Henry is an upgrade to Henry/Cumberland when we are running the same plays where Henry/Gates are on the field together. At least 3 of Gordons TD's last year were due to Henry creating a lane. I love how he looked blocking. I think of a duo like Brate/Howard and that should be a nice duo. Doyle/Allen. Gronk/Bennett. I like the idea of 2 pass catching TEs with one having the ability to block.

If Cumberland proves me wrong so be it. But Barnidge has produced recently and if he costs a little more than Cumberland im perfectly fine adding him to the fold. I think he does some Gates type stuff in the passing game based on solid routes and ability to get open. And in the event Henry goes down we still have a decent pass catching TE on the roster.

When Gates is done id rather have Cumberland blocking and Barnidge receiving than a Cumberland/McGrath set up. So the Barnidge thing for me is more about Gates being gone. Sort of looking past this year. Hes older but savvy.

Barnidge could essentially replace McGrath. Not necessarily Cumberland. But both Cumberland and Barnidge have been on teams with terrible QBs. And over the last 4 years of play Barnidge has a 65% catch%. Cumberland a 50%. I just think Barnidge gets open. Gates over the past 4 seasons? 65% with a stud QB. Rivers could potentially make Barndige relevant again. Gronk 61% over the last 4 seasons. And if he cost vet minimum it couldn't hurt. Especially if we are trying to be prepared for the inevitable onslaught of injuries. I just think Barndige could be a steal.

Comment

• Steve
              Administrator
              • Jun 2013
              • South Carolina
              • Meteorologist
              • Send PM

I think a lot of this is what do you think the extra TE need to do. Since Henry is turning into a good receiver, I am not sure we need a 3rd receiving TE (behind Henry and Gates). We have suffered badly in the past few years by not having TE who can block, and it really hurt the goalline. Now, while I don't disagree with the Barnridge vs Cumberland critique, I think we need a couple of TE who can be goalline types. I agree, if there was a way to stash Barnridge, it would be OK. But since he is on the downside of his career (over 30), he is probably not the guy to just have in case we need him in the future.

The one saving grace is that while I don't think anyone would call Henry a blocking TE, he is a decent inline blocker. In many ways I think he is a similar TE to Jason Witten. An inline player who can block an OLB or even DE, and still be a decent receiver, although one who does most of his damage inside. We can afford to be somewhat flexible, but I would still like 2 more TE who can be blockers (so both McGrath and Cumberland).

The reason I wouldn't read too much about Cumberland's stats is that while Rex Ryan and then Chan Gailey, neither used Cumberland as a receiver much. Chan Gailey really doesn't use TE except as an extra blocker. And the Jets QB struggles go back a ways. Cumberland didn't have a ton of catches, but he was finally used as a downfield receiver during preseason last year. He had a couple of nice downfield routes and a decent catch or two. I think it is worth giving him a chance, since he had a couple decent years for Illinois, before splitting time after a fight his senior year.

Comment

• Fleet
                TPB Founder
                • Jun 2013
                • Cardiff - Poipu
                • Send PM

Mathews/Lewis over Williams/Oliver/Barner would make sense to me.

​​​​​​Kevin Dillon of Mass Live believes Dion Lewis' roster spot could be in danger.
                The Patriots certainly made it seem like they are ready to move on from Lewis by signing Rex Burkhead and Mike Gillislee while extending James White through 2020. Lewis only costs $1.3 million this year, however, and is an electric playmaker when healthy. It is not out of the question New England moves on, especially if he struggles with injuries in camp, but it is more likely Lewis sticks on the roster as a situational weapon. Unfortunately, that role is unlikely to return much fantasy value.

Comment

• SDFan
                  SDFan commented
                  Editing a comment
                  What's not to like about Oliver? The other 2 haven't done anything for the Chagras, but Oliver was a productive main back for most of a season when called on. Yeah, Oliver missed last season with the leg injury - Sproles and Woodhead also did while in SD. Mathews is more injury prone + older than others being discussed. They still have Farrow too who should only be improved in his 2nd season.
              • Formula 21
                The Future is Now
                • Jun 2013
                • Republic of San Diego
                • Send PM

With all the dead cap money the Bolts have this year, I don't know how they could afford a million dollar backup rb.
                Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                The Wasted Decade is done.
                Build Back Better.

Comment

• Fleet
                  TPB Founder
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Cardiff - Poipu
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula Two One View Post
                  With all the dead cap money the Bolts have this year, I don't know how they could afford a million dollar backup rb.
                  Barner and Williams would free up 1.5m. 75k in dead money for Barner.

2.3m savings if you cut Williams/Barner and Oliver. If you were able to get Mathews and Lewis at vet min you actually save money.

None of this would happen...im just saying i think its probably an upgrade in talent and the money if it was a straight wash would make sense. 124K dead hit to drop Oliver/Barner.

Only player with dead money in 2018 is Franklin.

Comment

• Formula 21
                    The Future is Now
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Republic of San Diego
                    • Send PM

I'm not in love any of our backup RBs, so productive vet minimum guys work great for me.
                    Build Back Better.

Comment

• Formula 21
                      The Future is Now
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Republic of San Diego
                      • Send PM

The Oakland Raiders have locked up another member of their stellar 2014 draft class, agreeing to a five-year extension to keep guard Gabe Jackson under contract through the 2022 season.
                      A person familiar with the deal said Friday that it is worth $56 million. The person spoke on condition of anonymity because the deal and its terms have not been announced. NFL Network first reported the deal that kicks in once Jackson's rookie contract expires after the 2017 season.
                      11 mill a year for a guard. Unbelievable. That's left tackle's money. OL play is being redefined.
                      Build Back Better.

Comment

• Big Dog
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula Two One View Post

11 mill a year for a guard. Unbelievable. That's left tackle's money. OL play is being redefined.
                        Wow, and I remember us freaking out on this board when we signed Dielman for $6 mil a year for 5 years ...

Comment

Working...
                        X