First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    fender57
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Johnny Manziel a Charger? Here's to the future.

Well, it's officially the offseason. No games on Sunday, Monday or Thursday now going forward until late summer. And here we are once again, riding the off...

Comment

• Boltjolt
      Dont let the PBs fool ya
      • Jun 2013
      • Henderson, NV
      • Send PM

Originally posted by 6025 View Post
      Johnny Manziel a Charger? Here's to the future.

http://boltbeat.com/2017/02/16/could...ome-a-charger/
      Lol.. What a dumb article.

Comment

• CTrout
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

If he has actually cleaned himself up then why not give him a shot. He has enough to work with to be a ok back-up.

Comment

• Steve
          Administrator
          • Jun 2013
          • South Carolina
          • Meteorologist
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
          Im sure tbey will resign Addae and not sure what they will do with Te'o. Im also sure some players that are signed will make more next year. Im all for cutting Franklin but he will only save 2.8 mil with a 4.8 dead money hit. And he will have to be replaced so a FA perhaps there who will cost. Probably wont cut Luiget till 2018 when his cap savings is higher and his dead money is only 3 mill compared to 4.5 this year. But who knows. Maybe a trade?
          They dont have PLENTY of space but more than i thought. Got to sign the rookies too.
          We can save a lot more money with Franklin if we designate him as a post June 1st cut. Then his dead money is spread out over the next 2 seasons. His dead money this year would only be $1.6 million and $6 million in savings. Liuget would be $1.5 million dead and $8 mill in savings.

Who else would we be able to sign? It is plenty of space in the sense that there are very few players who are worth much out there. Again, while it is attractive to go after FA, the big money kind are such a huge waste. If they actually played well, but so many of them check out and don't play up to their new contract.

If they want to start signing big money contracts, they might as well put it in a pile and burn it. I would rather just sign the lower cost FA, and if you really have several of those to sign, then you can probably just find someone to do a quick restructure and free up some space. I said plenty of space because outside of what we need for Ingram, we don't need much space.

IN truth we don't NEED to cut anyone, because if Ingram is an OLB, $15 million, with $5 million for draft picks we have enough space. We should get rid of Franklin and Liuget because we need more productive players at those positions, and you can't have guys with cap hit approaching $10 million per year and having them sit the bench.

Comment

• CTrout
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Would we be better off with giving Ingram 15 million or letting him walk, take that 15 and sign 3 mid level FAs instead.
            Mario Addison (DE), Domata Peko (DT), and Malcolm Smith (ILB) could all be added for probably the same price and give us much more versatility and depth.
            Now those were just 3 random names I threw out there as my idea.
            I'm on the fence with what to do with Ingram...

Comment

• Formula 21
              The Future is Now
              • Jun 2013
              • Republic of San Diego
              • Send PM

never mind, mistaken post . Can I have a do over?
              Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
              The Wasted Decade is done.
              Build Back Better.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                Dont let the PBs fool ya
                • Jun 2013
                • Henderson, NV
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                We can save a lot more money with Franklin if we designate him as a post June 1st cut. Then his dead money is spread out over the next 2 seasons. His dead money this year would only be $1.6 million and $6 million in savings. Liuget would be $1.5 million dead and $8 mill in savings.

Who else would we be able to sign? It is plenty of space in the sense that there are very few players who are worth much out there. Again, while it is attractive to go after FA, the big money kind are such a huge waste. If they actually played well, but so many of them check out and don't play up to their new contract.

If they want to start signing big money contracts, they might as well put it in a pile and burn it. I would rather just sign the lower cost FA, and if you really have several of those to sign, then you can probably just find someone to do a quick restructure and free up some space. I said plenty of space because outside of what we need for Ingram, we don't need much space.

IN truth we don't NEED to cut anyone, because if Ingram is an OLB, $15 million, with $5 million for draft picks we have enough space. We should get rid of Franklin and Liuget because we need more productive players at those positions, and you can't have guys with cap hit approaching $10 million per year and having them sit the bench.
                I don't know where you are getting those numbers but the numbers I saw from Over the Cap and Spotrac aren't close to what you posted. Both show his dead money this year will be 4.8 mil. It won't be 1.6 til 2019.
                And I'm not suggesting signing a big money free agent.
                Last edited by Boltjolt; 02-18-2017, 10:30 AM.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                  Dont let the PBs fool ya
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Henderson, NV
                  • Send PM

Speaking of free agents, I've seen that Ravens players are trying to recruit Ingram......Including Weddle.

Comment

• Steve
                    Administrator
                    • Jun 2013
                    • South Carolina
                    • Meteorologist
                    • Send PM

I don't know where you are getting those numbers but the numbers I saw from Over the Cap and Spotrac aren't close to what you posted. Both show his dead money this year will be 4.8 mil. It won't be 1.6 til 2019.
                    And I'm not suggesting signing a big money free agent.
                    The numbers you see are probably for Franklin $4.8 mill dead and $2.8 mill savings and Liuget $4.5 mill dead and $5 mill savings? Those are the pre-June 1st cut numbers, which means everything comes off at once.

Hit "post June 1st". It is the top heading of the dead money and cap savings column. You cut someone after June 1st, you have the regular bonus for this year, then the rest is accelerated next season. Same amount total, but spreads the hit over 2 seasons. Franklin is $1.6 mill dead (2017) and $6 mill savings. Liuget is $1.5 mill dead (2017) and $9 mill savings. There difference is that there is some of the cap hit gets rolled over to next season, so there would be some dead (2018) money.

You also don't necessarily have to wait until next year. Because it helps players find new jobs and get paid more, the CBA allows teams to make 2 cuts with the June 1st designation prior to that (March). But you only get 2, so you have to pick and choose carefully.

As I keep saying, the bigger issue is that when I watch Franklin play LG it is like watching a bull fighter. He tends to just let the guy go right past him. He is the biggest weakness on our OL and it is not even close. Even if we keep him, we need to let younger players compete for those spots.

You can't have guys on the feild who under perform that badly. The one example of where FA works is in Denver. They don't let unproductive players stay in the lineup. Everyone is signing to win a SB, so guys stay motivated. the other 31 teams, not so much.

Los Angeles Chargers salary cap, contracts, bonus money, dead money, and cap savings for every player

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/los-angeles-chargers/cap/ But sportrac doesn't break it down by pre/post june 1st.
                    Last edited by Steve; 02-18-2017, 11:01 AM.

Comment

• Formula 21
                      The Future is Now
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Republic of San Diego
                      • Send PM

Speaking of free agents, I've seen that Ravens players are trying to recruit Ingram......Including Weddle.
                      Makes sense, the Ravens are a winning organization. Maybe I should become a Ravens fan.
                      Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                      The Wasted Decade is done.
                      Build Back Better.

Comment

• Fleet
                        TPB Founder
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Cardiff - Poipu
                        • Send PM

My backup plan to losing Ingram would be to go hard after Berry or JPP. I think JPP would be a good fit at Leo. Then draft a guy like Reddick to play SAM. Hes a little smaller but that guy is probably my 2nd favorite Edge/LB type behind Thomas. He is probably a more versatile Vic Beasley in that he can play a few positions. Smaller than your typical Bradley type SAM but guys like him just make plays. I expect him to skyrocket after timing very well at the combine. He looked great at LB in the senior bowl. Can rush from the DE spot in a 43 and play 43 OLB. Sam in an Under front. And OLB in a 34. Probably ILB in a 34 as well. Another one of my versatile obsessions. lol

Scenario if we sign Berry would be to draft Thomas 1 and Reddick 2.

Scenario if we sign JPP would be draft Adams/Hooker 1 and Reddick 2.

That SAM spot is hugely productive in Bradleys Defense. So it makes sense to have an amazing athlete there. You want to be able to cover the ABCD gaps in a cover 3 against the run. So guys like Ingram and Reddick can slide inside over the A gap. With Perryman over the B gap. Toomer/Perry at WILL on the outside D gap. And use Brown as a SS plugging the C/B gaps. Thats a solid run D with our LB's. Brown may end up being a Cam Chancellor type for us. I expect him to keep getting better as well. He moves like a safety. He can probably move back and forth from OLB,ILB and SS. Be a little chess piece type for us. Look for the falcons DC we picked up to use him like they did Deion Jones.

Comment

• Steve
                          Administrator
                          • Jun 2013
                          • South Carolina
                          • Meteorologist
                          • Send PM

The price for JPP would be the thing. If you are not willing to pay a big contract to Ingram, why would you pay an even more inconsistent and injury history anything like what you would pay Ingram? To me JPP is not that great a player because he is so up and down. He has proven he is a poor risk since he can't play consistently when he is still motivated by earning a big money contract. If you give it to him, why would he be playing hard every down?

I just watched some Youtube videos of Reddick and I don't see him being that great. He is a great athlete, that much is obvious. But I don't see him being a great LB. All he has done to date is play DE, and not even very well. He is a good college DE vs average OL. BUt I would have liked to see him be productive.

The interesting thing is that we have a ton of 34 OLB to play the SAM LB and LEO rush LB spot. Ingram will get whatever spot they feel he fits best, and then everyone else will be in a battle to make the roster. Since we are rotten with OLB, I am not sure why we would draft another one, unless the guy can come in and play right away. Reddick is going to take a year or two to learn to play LB in the NFL. And since he can't rush the passer well, he is not going to be much of an impact guy. IN time he might be, but I think 2nd is way too high for a guy who is such a project.

I also don't see Brown being moved to play OLB. I think many fans are hoping he gets moved there because of his size, but his skill set says he is a classic read and react LB. Given that we can protect him better with 4 DL than with just 3, I think he will be in a much better spot.

Toomer is the guy I want to see what happens with. Seattle actually did draft him to play SAM. He has the same kind of range and athelticism as Reddick, and we don't have to spend a draft pick on him.

We are rotten with LB types on our roster right now. I am not sure drafting yet another LB make that much sense. That will be even more clear when we find out who is playing where. Any number of our guys could be either LEO or SAM lb. SAM Lb is just a drop LB who only rushes the QB on passing downs. Leo is the OLB/DE who ALWAYS rushes. That is why we switched to this flavor of defense. Because it really doesn't change what we are doing.

Comment

Working...
                          X