• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by SFWfromESPN View Post
    I have seen reference to the "Old Marine" here a few times now. What poster are you referring to and is he a "former Marine"?
    I don't think he has made it over to this new board. He was on the old board and his screen name was Old Marine. He didn't post very often, but when he did it was uniformly negative, usually with some bomb in there about how the Spanoses were ruining the franchise and never spent money yadda yadda. As I understood it, he had been a fan since 1960 and was just very jaded about everything. Over time, the phrase "You kids get off my lawn" became associated with him as he sort of seemed like the cranky neighbor type. I do not know if he was ever actually in the service.

Thus far in the Tom Telesco era there is a group of three posters who are really starting to sound like Old Marine. So I have taken the liberty of dubbing them The Old Marines. Although maybe they are The New Marines? I dunno, somehow Old Marines and cranky neighbor seems a better fit with their negative outlooks. But I do know that they spend a lot of time tending their "lawns" and that despite all the effort, they still don't look that great.

Comment

• SFW
      PB Official Game Thread Starter
      • Jul 2013
      • NY
      • USMC
      • Send PM

Originally posted by ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR View Post
      I don't think he has made it over to this new board. He was on the old board and his screen name was Old Marine. He didn't post very often, but when he did it was uniformly negative, usually with some bomb in there about how the Spanoses were ruining the franchise and never spent money yadda yadda. As I understood it, he had been a fan since 1960 and was just very jaded about everything. Over time, the phrase "You kids get off my lawn" became associated with him as he sort of seemed like the cranky neighbor type. I do not know if he was ever actually in the service.

Thus far in the Tom Telesco era there is a group of three posters who are really starting to sound like Old Marine. So I have taken the liberty of dubbing them The Old Marines. Although maybe they are The New Marines? I dunno, somehow Old Marines and cranky neighbor seems a better fit with their negative outlooks. But I do know that they spend a lot of time tending their "lawns" and that despite all the effort, they still don't look that great.
      Thanks, now I get it. I was worried that Den60 was representing the Marine Corps on this board. As a current (20 year) Marine, that would really have disappointed me. I would much rather him just be a jaded grumpy old man, than a jaded grumpy old Marine. Your story makes me picture Clint Eastwood in Gran Tourino (good movie).
      1) Jason Verrett (CB) TCU
      2) Demarcus Lawrence (OLB) Boise St
      3) Will Sutton (DT) Arizona St
      4) Jarvis Landry (WR) LSU
      5) John Urschel (OC) Penn St
      6) Shamar Stephen (DT) UConn
      7) Brock Coyle (ILB) Montana

Comment

• Den60
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR View Post
        You should bother, but you should manage your expectations. If your response is directed at OIP with the hope that he will actually respond in good faith or not parse your comments, or misrepresent them or go off to obtuse land, no. But if you think there is value in going through the process and setting the record straight / defeating bogus argumentation / shooting fish in a barrel, then chive on.

It may seem trivial, but I think it's worth it. He (and his Old Marine triumvirate) can't ever be persuaded, but others can.
        You know, you might reconsider comparing me to Old Marine. First, it ain't near as funny as when I called you BaghdadBobKleinRocks and, second, he may be insulted by the comparison with me not being a veteran, much less a Marine.

Comment

• Den60
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Thanks, now I get it. I was worried that Den60 was representing the Marine Corps on this board. As a current (20 year) Marine, that would really have disappointed me. I would much rather him just be a jaded grumpy old man, than a jaded grumpy old Marine. Your story makes me picture Clint Eastwood in Gran Tourino (good movie).
          No, I tried to join the Marines but when they found out my Mom was married to my Dad they wouldn't take me.

That's a joke son

Comment

• SFW
            PB Official Game Thread Starter
            • Jul 2013
            • NY
            • USMC
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Den60 View Post
            No, I tried to join the Marines but when they found out my Mom was married to my Dad they wouldn't take me.

That's a joke son
            Its ok, no offense taken. I can't be offended by anything a condescending old grumpy old Broncos fan says anyways.
            1) Jason Verrett (CB) TCU
            2) Demarcus Lawrence (OLB) Boise St
            3) Will Sutton (DT) Arizona St
            4) Jarvis Landry (WR) LSU
            5) John Urschel (OC) Penn St
            6) Shamar Stephen (DT) UConn
            7) Brock Coyle (ILB) Montana

Comment

• thelightningwill
              Go Aztecs and Pads
              • Jul 2013
              • Send PM

Props for serving.
              Props for liking Clint Eastwood movies.
              Other than the chick flick he did and the one where he sings, his movies are can't miss.
              I even liked the one with the empty chair and the ones with the ape.

Comment

Working...
              X