View Poll Results: What is TT's

Voters: 39.

score?

10.26%

A - I wouldn't change a thing 4

Boltfan, Danimal, maurile, oneinchpunch

B - Great job despite not having

41.03%

much to work with cap wise. Still holes, but great first year.

8/6/1960 , Bearded14YourPleasure, Beerman, BoltBacker, BoltBalls, boltguy, Boltx, Heatmiser, LA_BOLT, OhioBolt, OntheSidlines, Panama, pigskin, ratenstein, Stinky Wizzleteats+, TBF

C - Decent job considering he was

43.59%

hamstrung by AJ

ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR, Bolt-O, Boltergeist, Boltjolt, Jaywa, JunkBoy, Knucklebear, MakoShark, Maverick, Memonybolt, ncbolt, QSmokey, saipanruss, SFWfromESPN, Thunder Thighs, Tusquat, Zot

2.56%

D - Sub par work, I would have done

multiple things differently

Yubaking

F - Complete Failure. Raiders hada

2.56%

better offseason.

Fleet

Contact Us ThePowderBlues Archive Top
    Go Rivers!

Comment

• homeless simpson
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by RobH View Post
      I don't like the way that he doesn't give out any information to the press. I think that's a major mistake by this organization that further alienates the fans in an already difficult relationship. If I were Spano, I'd tell McCoy to lighten up a little bit.
      wasn't it at his first presscon where they said they would be more open to the media etc? first lie LOL

Comment

• Den60
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by zoom View Post
        It took a long time before people criticized AJ or even accepted criticism of him. I soured on him quicker than many and I got challenged and called a hater. I got the 'better than Beathard' comments all the time. For this I can sympathize.

I am assuming you wanted to retain AJ and aren't a fan if TT. Maybe you wouldn 't be a of any replacement. That's a frustrating spot to be in.

I just don't understand how you cannot understand that change brings optimism in most people. This franchise was sliding (for years in my opinion) and fans want new leadership and energy. We're you really more optimistic at this time last year ?

Keep doing what you are doing, but expect resistance as fans are gonna jump on the wagon for the first couple of years.

Note: I wanted perry feweell as head coach.
        Yeah, it took until we started losing. We had a good oline until we didn't. Bunch of shit when you say we cannot criticize TT for his moves. We have to wait until this board comes to a majority vote that says he sucks before we can criticize him? Really?

I said before AJ was fired I would keep AJ and fire Norv if we were thinking of staying on the course that was set. I said that a new GM would likely want to trash everything and start over because they usually are given 5 years to do so. On the old board I said that you could compare that with a new dominant chimp who takes over and kills all the juvenile chimps. That was laughed at but I bring it up because even the stupid apes on here will remember that.

I don't see any more optimism than I saw going into last year. In fact, I think the personnel on this squad is worse. I don't see any reason to think that MM is going to be any more successful than Norv. Of course that falls out of line with the prevalent belief on here that just canning Norv means success for us. Still, when I try to tie people down of what that means to us in terms of wins and losses they remain mute. So I ask, should I be happy with a team that I see winning between 3 and 6 (that is my range) games this year simply because we don't have Norv and AJ anymore or should I set my goals as to what I consider a successful team to be a bit higher?

Comment

• homeless simpson
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

there was a lot of "we could've had Polamalu" a lot during AJ's first draft or how he handled 2003 (whether it was deserved or not). Unless you meant his other first draft, which was filled with "should've drafted Gallery", his handling of the Eli fiasco leading up to the draft, why wasn't he giving Brees a chance and so on and so forth.....

no, i don't think it took all that long for the netizens to start criticizing AJ's moves.

Comment

• oneinchpunch
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by homeless simpson View Post
            wasn't it at his first presscon where they said they would be more open to the media etc? first lie LOL
            Who lied?

The liars?
            Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• oneinchpunch
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by homeless simpson View Post
              there was a lot of "we could've had Polamalu" a lot during AJ's first draft or how he handled 2003 (whether it was deserved or not). Unless you meant his other first draft, which was filled with "should've drafted Gallery", his handling of the Eli fiasco leading up to the draft, why wasn't he giving Brees a chance and so on and so forth.....

no, i don't think it took all that long for the netizens to start criticizing AJ's moves.
              AJ was even criticized for being hired.

No one thought every move AJ made was gold. But all of a sudden I you disagree with any moves the current GM has made you are negative and want him fired.

But it is fun to watch the hyperbole
              Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• blueman
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Always thought Dunlap would be our starting left tackle, Starks was a nice myth to believe in for a day or two but meh. Like ditching Vasquez for Clary at right guard, and absolutely love the Fluker pick. Looks like Oreoburger was a good depth signing too. Not bad on the Oline, considering.

Like both the Te'o and Allen picks, hell I like TT's whole draft, all of them should be with us, as starters or backups, for a long time.

Really like how early signings that didn't work out were jettisoned, and that TT upgraded four needed positions post-final cuts.

Not sure what Ronnie Brown has left in the tank, scratching my head on that til I see how he's used. Like Woody and Philips signings a lot, also Cox.

Like both the Freeney and Marshall signings post-injury to Ingram and Williams, very nice.

Don't give a shit about any of the players we let go, fuck'em.

About the only thing I'm still waiting on is the Butler extension, but there's still time for that.

Let's play some football!

Comment

• SFW
                  PB Official Game Thread Starter
                  • Jul 2013
                  • NY
                  • USMC
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
                  Always thought Dunlap would be our starting left tackle, Starks was a nice myth to believe in for a day or two but meh. Like ditching Vasquez for Clary at right guard, and absolutely love the Fluker pick. Looks like Oreoburger was a good depth signing too. Not bad on the Oline, considering.

Like both the Te'o and Allen picks, hell I like TT's whole draft, all of them should be with us, as starters or backups, for a long time.

Really like how early signings that didn't work out were jettisoned, and that TT upgraded four needed positions post-final cuts.

Not sure what Ronnie Brown has left in the tank, scratching my head on that til I see how he's used. Like Woody and Philips signings a lot, also Cox.

Like both the Freeney and Marshall signings post-injury to Ingram and Williams, very nice.

Don't give a shit about any of the players we let go, fuck'em.

About the only thing I'm still waiting on is the Butler extension, but there's still time for that.

Let's play some football!
                  You must be a brainwashed TT apologist.
                  1) Jason Verrett (CB) TCU
                  2) Demarcus Lawrence (OLB) Boise St
                  3) Will Sutton (DT) Arizona St
                  4) Jarvis Landry (WR) LSU
                  5) John Urschel (OC) Penn St
                  6) Shamar Stephen (DT) UConn
                  7) Brock Coyle (ILB) Montana

Comment

• MakoShark
                    Disgruntled
                    • Jun 2013
                    • North Alabama
                    • Send PM

TT is like AJ 2.0. AJ had no previous GM experience and had never built a roster on his own. Butler gave him a couple of solid building blocks to start with which, IMO, is more than TT has to start with. Every year with AJ was like OJT. Every year he would say how he recognized his mistakes of the previous year and he would have to adjust/get better. First, was how he handled the media. Then, his draft philosophy. Then, his stance on FA's. It was always something with him and for a stubborn ass he sure wasn't consistent. Hell, just watching the show last night on LT brings back the memories of just how bad AJ screwed up.

TT is a fresh start. A reset. Like going back to AJ's first year. He has to recognize who his foundation is going to be and build on them. Something AJ lost sight of, IMO. Its not that he's dumping the old regime's guys in favor of his. Who's to say that AJ wouldn't have done the same thing at this point had he been retained? The roster restructuring was over due. Any GM coming in (or even AJ) had to see that. To me, the question is, will TT stay the course over the long haul? Will he stick to his plan and vision for the future or shift his focus every year like AJ did? Will he always consider ALL of the big picture each and every day or be stubborn and disregard portions of it because his own arrogance says he can?

IMO, its to early to tell. You may not like his moves so far, but if you're calling for his head or pining away for AJ than your just throwing the baby out with the bath water.
                    sigpic

Comment

• ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Den60 View Post
                      Yeah, it took until we started losing. We had a good oline until we didn't. Bunch of shit when you say we cannot criticize TT for his moves. We have to wait until this board comes to a majority vote that says he sucks before we can criticize him? Really?

I said before AJ was fired I would keep AJ and fire Norv if we were thinking of staying on the course that was set. I said that a new GM would likely want to trash everything and start over because they usually are given 5 years to do so. On the old board I said that you could compare that with a new dominant chimp who takes over and kills all the juvenile chimps. That was laughed at but I bring it up because even the stupid apes on here will remember that.

I don't see any more optimism than I saw going into last year. In fact, I think the personnel on this squad is worse. I don't see any reason to think that MM is going to be any more successful than Norv. Of course that falls out of line with the prevalent belief on here that just canning Norv means success for us. Still, when I try to tie people down of what that means to us in terms of wins and losses they remain mute. So I ask, should I be happy with a team that I see winning between 3 and 6 (that is my range) games this year simply because we don't have Norv and AJ anymore or should I set my goals as to what I consider a successful team to be a bit higher?
                      Does Tom Telesco suck? Really? His record is 0-0. McCoy can't be more successful than Norv Turner? Why? Because the team he's trotting out isn't as good as the one that went to the AFCCG? I suppose that is Tom Telesco's fault? In the case of AJ Smith, he had a track record. This guy does not. In the case of AJ Smith, he had a couple of cycles to evaluate. This guy is just beginning his first. Just because you don't agree with what you see to-date, doesn't mean your evaluations are on-point. It is quite possible (probable?) that you don't quite see what the new guy is trying to do. I'll acknowledge that I might not, either. I'm secure enough to admit a lack of omniscience. Others seem uncomfortable with that. You speak of "prevalent belief." Is that the real prevalent belief or is that your perception of it? Because the real prevalent belief on this board could best be summarized by the polls on wins. Like it or not, admit it or not....they don't vary tremendously from your own. Do you know too many people here talking about this being a playoff team? I think most expect us to be sub-.500. Are you really lashing out at those who predict two more wins than you do? Those are the hopeless "apes" (Stay classy) you speak of? Context and perspective matter, Den. I'd encourage you to seek them out.

I have no issue with you being critical of this move or that move. I have an issue with your writing off of the new management team before a game has been played. I have an issue with your ceaseless negativity. Yes, change does bring optimism. It also brings resistance. Perhaps some balance should be struck. Hmmm. In my case, I think the overall talent of the team is probably a little less than last year's largely on the basis of experience and injury. But I think the new staff is restructuring on the fly vs staying the course (keeping all the deadwood), blowing it up (basically trading Rivers) or steering a middling course (patching up with big dollar free agents and probably never getting the playmakers in that this franchise so desperately needs). I think that's where AJ Smith left us. And I think that's where Telesco is picking up the reins and taking a step back to shoot higher for the long term. Maybe that's the wrong approach. Maybe that's not what he's doing. Maybe he'll fail regardless, but it's his show and I'm willing to wait to see what happens. Doesn't mean I wouldn't have liked Barnes or Franklin back...I can be critical of those moves, and have been. But I'm not willing to blow this guy's whole operation out because I didn't like how we handled the depth on defense. And I think he's done a decent job of bringing in some guys to move the peanut on the OL and he's assembled some guys that show some potential elsewhere. Now it's in McCoy's hands. We'll see what kind of coach he is. If he's a good coach, then I think we're probably a six win team. But I know, that makes me a Kool-Aid drinker, right?

And on a sidenote: It would be revisionist history to suggest that AJ Smith did not receive criticism at the outset of his tenure. In fact, he caught quite a lot of flack early on. But as his moves started to yield results he cultivated strong support. And in the Norv years, many continued to support his stewardship quite enthusiastically even when the Emperor clearly had no clothes. I wonder how many of the former group comprised the latter group? And I wonder which group you were in and when. Rhetorical. Continue on with the persecution posts if you feel the need.

Comment

• richpjr
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Nashville
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by oneinchpunch View Post
                        But all of a sudden I you disagree with any moves the current GM has made you are negative and want him fired.
                        Ironic you'd mention hyperbole when posting this.

There are plenty of moves that people here have questioned and discussed where they have not been given a bunch of crap for. It's the small group of posters who rag on virtually everything done in every thread (no matter what the subject) that get a reaction.

Comment

• QSmokey
                          Guardedly Optimistic
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Kuna, Idaho
                          • Retired
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Den60 View Post
                          I don't see any more optimism than I saw going into last year. In fact, I think the personnel on this squad is worse. I don't see any reason to think that MM is going to be any more successful than Norv. Of course that falls out of line with the prevalent belief on here that just canning Norv means there is hope for success for us. Still, when I try to tie people down of what that means to us in terms of wins and losses they remain mute. So I ask, should I be happy with a team that I see winning between 3 and 6 (that is my range) games this year simply because we don't have Norv and AJ anymore or should I set my goals as to what I consider a successful team to be a bit higher?
                          From my point of view, you left out one important phrase, which I have added above. Hope. Most of us felt the Norv situation was hopeless; there was NEVER a chance that we could win the SB with him. Again, that is my view, so I don't want to put words in anyone's mouth, but that sure seems like the major ingredient for all the pre-season excitement around here.

And, truth be told, I hold out some hope for the Chargers now, too. Just not this season. And probably not next season, either. It remains to be seen if Telesco can acquire good talent going forward AND contractually satisfy the talent we currently have to make them want to stay (a major failure of the past regime, IMO). Same for McCoy. Let's see what, if anything, he can do with the players that TT signs to the roster.

The storm is over (AJ/Norv). There's a ton of destruction in the wake of the "storm's" departure. The team DOES look worse, on paper. Or, at best, only slightly improved (people have made their opinions known about this, so no need rehash here). There are ton of unknowns. How anyone could predict success out of this upheaval is beyond me.

But, for the first time in many years, there IS hope. That's what I'm getting from the faithful on here.

Comment

Working...
                          X