• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Antonio's Gates
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

if were drafting high enough for someone like bridgewater, we will take him. how PR does is irrelevant to that. bridgewater could always sit for a year. that being said, if your QB has a solid season, you will not be drafting in the top 10. feel free to debate me on that.

Comment

• Boltjolt
      Dont let the PBs fool ya
      • Jun 2013
      • Henderson, NV
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Charged up View Post
      (I am wincing while typing this)

I am almost hoping PR implodes this year. The 2014 draft looks like it's going to produce a bumper crop of QB's dripping with talent. A high draft pick could lock us up our next franchise QB for years to come.

I would be on board to grab a kid and start him immediately or even take the slow boat and let Rivers tutor the youngster for a couple of seasons. PR's contract is up in 2015 if I'm not mistaken.

A I being too pessimistic about PR? Or am I being optimistic about building for the future?
      Don't like it. if not Bridgewater then no thanks. imo we don't need a QB for at least 5 years. this class has some decent QB's but after Bridgewater.....im not to thrilled with them though Boyd is interesting and the kid from San Jose st. Don't like McCarron, Mariota(who shouldn't declare along with Manziel). Just fix the OL. No sense having a rookie behind a bad OL.
      Last edited by Boltjolt; 09-03-2013, 01:00 PM.

Comment

• BoltBalls
        Always keep eye contact!
        • Jun 2013
        • SD!
        • Send PM

I do want the Chargers to win. More than anything. But if you've looked at the trends in ALL area's (passing, defense, rushing, TD's, sacks etc etc) we are currently in a free fall. You'd rather ride that down to the bottom or be proactive and try and stop the decent?

So let me ask you: Would you take a 9-7 season and miss the playoffs? (9-7 is very unlikely BTW) Or a 3-13 season and get a top tier QB prospect for the future?
        Any sort of discussion like this needs to wait until most of this season is played out and EVEN THEN it is still kind of ridiculous but a bit less if we are talking about silver linings. As a fan I want the team to win every game that is played, so until the losses start coming I want to hope for the best this year. Rivers is not over the hill IMO so we want him to play successfully for many more years here in SD.

Comment

• richpjr
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Nashville
          • Send PM

(I am wincing while typing this)

I am almost hoping PR implodes this year. The 2014 draft looks like it's going to produce a bumper crop of QB's dripping with talent. A high draft pick could lock us up our next franchise QB for years to come.

I would be on board to grab a kid and start him immediately or even take the slow boat and let Rivers tutor the youngster for a couple of seasons. PR's contract is up in 2015 if I'm not mistaken.

Am I being too pessimistic about PR? Or am I being optimistic about building for the future?
          At some point we clearly will need a replacement for Rivers, and it is obviously not CBJ. But if PR stays healthy (not a guarantee given the pounding he has taken) he could easily play 5 or 6 more years. But I'm personally hoping that McCoy's offense plays to the strength of our players (instead of trying to force a square peg in a round hole like Norv) and Rivers reverts to his 2010 form.

Comment

• Memonybolt
            • Jul 2013
            • New York city
            • Send PM

Just something to think about: if you want Rivers to implode because you want a franchise QB to be drafted in 2014, that franchise QB that in theory would be drafted would still not have enough weapons around him to allow him to develop, in particular a franchise LOT. Not even getting into why you would want Rivers to fail (the OP), him doing so would not help the team. Regardless of how the team does in 2013, we NEED a LOT to protect Rivers, and if Clary were to fail at ROG (I don't think he will fail), I think Fluker would be one of the top OGs in the NFL, so, I would move Fluker inside and even draft a ROT in 2014, and then you get a QB to work behind a solid o-line and IF Rivers fails. I hope Fluker kicks az at ROT but I do think his skill set is that of a superstar OG.

But this is just me and my way of viewing how teams are built.

I still think SF got it right when they went OT and OG high in the draft some years back.
            Memohm1976 on espn

Comment

• Panama
              パナマ
              • Aug 2013
              • London
              • Opera singer and web developer.
              • Send PM

I do want the Chargers to win. More than anything. But if you've looked at the trends in ALL area's (passing, defense, rushing, TD's, sacks etc etc) we are currently in a free fall. You'd rather ride that down to the bottom or be proactive and try and stop the decent?

So let me ask you: Would you take a 9-7 season and miss the playoffs? (9-7 is very unlikely BTW) Or a 3-13 season and get a top tier QB prospect for the future?
              I would continue to shore up the OL. Put a solid OL in front of PR and he will continue to play at a very high level for another 6 years or so. His decline over the past couple of seasons corresponds directly to the complete collapse of the OL.

I remember too well the QB drought we had between Fouts and Humphries and between Humphries and Brees, and I don't want to go through that again.
              Adipose

Comment

• TTK
                EX-Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • America's Finest City
                • Send PM

I hate questions like this because it's not realistic.

A 3-13 season will be a miserable season all the way.

A 9-7 season will likely be exciting all the way to the last game of the season and would have a shot at making the playoffs.

A more realistic question to ask is "Do you want a miserable season or an exciting one?"

Comment

• oneinchpunch
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by TTK View Post
                  I hate questions like this because it's not realistic.

A 3-13 season will be a miserable season all the way.

A 9-7 season will likely be exciting all the way to the last game of the season and would have a shot at making the playoffs.

A more realistic question to ask is "Do you want a miserable season or an exciting one?"
                  Strange as it may be I even thought the 1-15 was a pretty exciting season. I even found a place in Moorea that was playing a Chargers game a day after it happened in french and watched the whole game.

That was one of my favorite defenses. But man that OL was bad
                  Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• Boltx
                    Dominate the day
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

You're all lying if you say the OP's claims haven't crossed your minds.

Also, can somebody please clarify what they mean by "Rivers can give us 3-4 more productive years." ? Are we talking about 9-10 win ceiling seasons with a one and done in the playoffs? Because honestly if you don't think this guy can win a Super Bowl then there's no need to keep him around for some "productive years."
                    ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

• Bolt-O
                      Administrator
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

It's never crossed my mind that PR would implode... too much integrity for that. A possible doomsday prediction would be that there's another massive breakdown in the OL causing a season-ending injury, causing a dilemma on who to pick in the top of the draft. Even though Clowney wasn't as advertised (for what ever reason... illness, conditioning), he'll could grade out highest, and force a tough decision over a top QB prospect, like Bridgewater. I recall the debate when the Chargers had the top pick... then I leaned toward Gallery to shore up the poor OL, over Manning. I prefer not to go that route again.

Comment

• TTK
                        EX-Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • America's Finest City
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by oneinchpunch View Post
                        Strange as it may be I even thought the 1-15 was a pretty exciting season. I even found a place in Moorea that was playing a Chargers game a day after it happened in french and watched the whole game.

That was one of my favorite defenses. But man that OL was bad
                        I kind of agree about the 1-15 season though that's kind of an anomaly. I guess just like how the 9-7 season last year wasn't fun at all either.

Honestly, the record this year isn't that important to me. I'm just excited about change. And seeing all the new and especially young players that didn't get much of a chance to play in previous years.

Comment

• Memonybolt
                          • Jul 2013
                          • New York city
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltx View Post
                          You're all lying if you say the OP's claims haven't crossed your minds.

Also, can somebody please clarify what they mean by "Rivers can give us 3-4 more productive years." ? Are we talking about 9-10 win ceiling seasons with a one and done in the playoffs? Because honestly if you don't think this guy can win a Super Bowl then there's no need to keep him around for some "productive years."
                          No, I have never hoped that Rivers implodes, and this is not a lie. Has benching Rivers or getting serious competitions at QB crossed my mind? Yes it has.
                          Memohm1976 on espn

Comment

Working...
                          X