• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Boltx
    Dominate the day
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Rivers

"Philip Rivers was 1-of-7 with a pick-six in the fourth quarter Monday night. Including last year, Rivers' 7.7 fourth-quarter QBR is less than half of any other QB."

View the 2023 NFL power index on ESPN. The FPI is the best predictor of a team's performance going forward for the rest of the season.

Ouch, ouch, ouch. Wonder how bad it would be if they included 2011 as well.

Can we win with this guy anymore, or is he part of the problem? Please don't cite the Indy game from 2007 or playing with a torn ACL or throwing for 4000 yards...that was an eternity ago in NFL years. You guys wanna talk about culture change...why not start there? Look I'm rooting like hell like the rest of you guys that this guy all of a sudden becomes clutch....but you can't just look at a 9 year vet with the recent body of work and feel optimistic that his better days are ahead of him.

I don't envy TT after this season....short of a spectacular season by Rivers how can you justify going forward with him as the face of the franchise with above stats like that?
    ESPN Screename: GoBolts02
  • Den60
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltx View Post
    "Philip Rivers was 1-of-7 with a pick-six in the fourth quarter Monday night. Including last year, Rivers' 7.7 fourth-quarter QBR is less than half of any other QB."

View the 2023 NFL power index on ESPN. The FPI is the best predictor of a team's performance going forward for the rest of the season.

Ouch, ouch, ouch. Wonder how bad it would be if they included 2011 as well.

Can we win with this guy anymore, or is he part of the problem? Please don't cite the Indy game from 2007 or playing with a torn ACL or throwing for 4000 yards...that was an eternity ago in NFL years. You guys wanna talk about culture change...why not start there? Look I'm rooting like hell like the rest of you guys that this guy all of a sudden becomes clutch....but you can't just look at a 9 year vet with the recent body of work and feel optimistic that his better days are ahead of him.

I don't envy TT after this season....short of a spectacular season by Rivers how can you justify going forward with him as the face of the franchise with above stats like that?
    Rivers doesn't need to be fixed according to him.

Comment

• Maverick
      (Coryellian)
      • Jun 2013
      • Point Loma
      • Send PM

So the way I see it is, there are basically 2 groups on this board----

1) those who think Rivers ought to be able to do EVERYTHING required to win despite not having sh!t to work with

&

2) those who understand that PR is basically on an island with limited-to-no weapons, unlike the annointed "elite" group of QBs who nearly always have time to throw & playmakers to throw to ( as well as a credible running game sprinkled in from time to time)

Again, it is a laughable that we are even debating this, IMHO.......

Comment

• Boltx
        Dominate the day
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Believe me when I say that I started this thread not to stir the pot or fan the flames or age old arguments...I like the rest of you just want this team to get better. And I think you have to look at every possible avenue, especially when the QB play has been SO diappointing the last 2 years running. Would like it to remain civil.

Comment

• Maverick
          (Coryellian)
          • Jun 2013
          • Point Loma
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Den60 View Post
          Rivers doesn't need to be fixed according to him.
          & Dilfer....& a few of us here....

Comment

• KC-Charger
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Can we win with this guy anymore, or is he part of the problem?
            Really beginning to wonder BoltX last night when he threw that duck while in the grasp I thought why does he still do stuff like that?

Comment

• Boltx
              Dominate the day
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Mav I know you're sticking up for your guy and I commend your consistency...but how can you look at the above 4th quarter stats and just brush it off as lack of help? If Rivers is just a "systems" QB that needs an elite core around him to excel (that's fine), then why are we paying him like a stud?

Comment

• KNSD
                Registered Charger Hater
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

He should have been 2/7, but Royal dropped the game winning 1st down catch.
                Prediction:
                Correct: Chargers CI fails miserably.
                Fail: Team stays in San Diego until their lease runs out in 2020. (without getting new deal done by then) .
                Sig Bet WIN: The Chargers will file for relocation on January 15.

Comment

• Maverick
                  (Coryellian)
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Point Loma
                  • Send PM

Mav I know you're sticking up for your guy and I commend your consistency...but how can you look at the above 4th quarter stats and just brush it off as lack of help? If Rivers is just a "systems" QB that needs an elite core around him to excel (that's fine), then why are we paying him like a stud?
                  D.--

I don't think he needs an elite core....just one that provides him with enough time to at least get set to throw or climb the pocket to buy time. He had that time in 2010 with what I would consider an above average OL & no-name WRs. The supporting cast was far from elite, but was serviceable, & he killed it that year....even though we didn't make the playoffs.

Comment

• Den60
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Well, given all the kids he has I would say "stud" is just about the right description for him.

Comment

fender57
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by KC-Charger View Post
                      Really beginning to wonder BoltX last night when he threw that duck while in the grasp I thought why does he still do stuff like that?
                      I hate that about Rivers. I questioned it three years ago when he threw that asinine left-handed pass in the preseason. He looks idiotic when he pulls shit like that, and this is coming from a guy who defends Rivers.

Comment

• blueman
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Schaub looked pretty good behind that Oline. He wasn't as pressured as Rivers I thought, but when he was he would sometimes make really bad throws. He also had much better weapons he was throwing to. Overall he came off looking better than Rivers, but can't help but wonder how each would've looked had they swapped teams.

Comment

Working...
                        X