Clear All
  • SDFan
    Woober Goober
    • Jun 2013
    • Dolores, CO
    • Retired
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post
    Tuerk is essentially a rookie this year. My fear is that you have 3 interior rookies on the OL starting. Not a terrible thing but i would expect some growing pains. I wouldnt be shocked if this is how it played out. Despite TT saying that his new OGs will start out at guard. I think we will end up using our best 5. And this could end up being the best fit.

Okung - Feeney - Tuerk - Slauson - Lamp

Lamp said in an interview at the Senior Bowl that he is so much more comfortable at OT than OG. But that he is willing to do whatever. He will most likely make it a point to show hes the best OT on the roster. Even better than Okung. Who i dont think is dominant by any means. I know hes getting paid a lot of money but he may end up at RT so we can keep our 2 stud rookies at their natural positions. I dont care about the short arm theory. I fully expect Lamp to show he is an OT. Hes that good.

Lamp - Slauson - Tuerk - Feeney - Okung
    I was reading a draft grade article yesterday where they were ranking the best player drafted by each team along with comments by unnamed current NFL GMs. Lamp was rated Chargers best pick and probably a steal where they got him if he is a solid starter this year. The knock on him is short arms and having to prove that won't handicap him in the NFL.

Isn't the conventional wisdom you want Tackles with long arms? Doesn't that sort of slot Lamp as a better fit at G for them?
    Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• Maverick
      (Coryellian)
      • Jun 2013
      • Point Loma
      • Send PM

Originally posted by SDfan View Post
      I was reading a draft grade article yesterday where they were ranking the best player drafted by each team along with comments by unnamed current NFL GMs. Lamp was rated Chargers best pick and probably a steal where they got him if he is a solid starter this year. The knock on him is short arms and having to prove that won't handicap him in the NFL.

Isn't the conventional wisdom you want Tackles with long arms? Doesn't that sort of slot Lamp as a better fit at G for them?
      It would seem to, yes.

Comment

• Fleet
        TPB Founder
        • Jun 2013
        • Cardiff - Poipu
        • Send PM

Thats been the perception for a long time. Many years. But short arms is just another thing to overcome for a few guys that play OT. They learn different techniques etc to compensate.

I cant find the report on Lamp but it was a reputable source that stated there are plenty of good tackles with the same arm issue. I think he would be fine. Id give him a shot at OT early in camp and see how he does. You see how he used his hands against guys like Jonathon Allen and Tim Williams and he shows he can get leverage using technique.

Comment

• Formula 21
          The Future is Now
          • Jun 2013
          • Republic of San Diego
          • Send PM

Quick feet are better than long arms. Ask Fluker.

Quick feet and long arms rule, but they're rarer.
          Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
          The Wasted Decade is done.
          Build Back Better.

Comment

• blueman
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Also plenty of long-armed OTs suck dino balls. See Chargers rosters, current and past.

Comment

• Antonio's Gates
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Lamp seems like a zach martin clone. Martin was a short armed college tackle who everyone agreed was a very safe/elite guard prospect.

Comment

• Fleet
                TPB Founder
                • Jun 2013
                • Cardiff - Poipu
                • Send PM

I see a smaller Jake Mathews. Jake dosnt have monster arms. Maybe 33.5 inches. And hes starting at LT now. Pass rushers are getting smaller these days. Guys like Vic Beasley and Von Miller are using speed and getting around these giant OTs. I think intangibles like leverage and movement with quick feet are more important to a guy like Lamp.

Yes most likely he ends up at OG but hes probably our best OT. lol I think he would be fine at RT personally. Hes a monster in the run game so we may need him more at OG. And with Rivers so reliant on stepping up into the pocket the OGs on this team may be more important in protecting Rivers style of game.

Feeney is one of the better pass protecting OG prospects ive seen in a while. Just watch the Senior Bowl. He routinely makes his initial block and then bounces out to help Moton clean up the rush. Moton really struggled and it would have been worse if Feeney didnt save his ass a few times. Feeney moves like a cat.

Comment

• bolts4lyfe
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Mar 2017
                  • Send PM

Problem I see with Lamp at OT, was watching him vs. Alabama tape the other day He held his own against Jon Allen coming off the edge, there was a few things he could have cleaned up (kick slide and arm punch) but overall kept his QB clean from Allen. The problem with that is Allen is an interior defender, very rarely with he be facing that type of competition in the NFL

Once Nick Saban had Tim Williams on that side, it was clear that Lamp is best suited to play guard. Williams gets his hands on Lamp and Lamp can't counter back to shorter arms, again the kick slide was worrisome especially knowing he'd be facing guys like Von Miller and Khalil Mack etc. Although he recovered nicely on most snaps against Williams by keeping his QB clean there were many of plays where the QB pressure was there, leaving his QB panicked.

Now on run plays Lamp got very small and drove his head into Jon Allen's chest, basically having him locked up and was able to drive him anywhere he wanted to take him, this type of trait would suit him better going against interior defenders and battling bull rushers at the next level, he can become a damn good Guard with an Evan Mathis type career

Comment

• Rugger05
                    Administrator
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

I have been saddled with a short appendage and it didn't hinder me too much back in the day. Many things go into being a complete person then having a short appendage :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Comment

• Rugger05
                      Administrator
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by bolts4lyfe View Post
                      Problem I see with Lamp at OT, was watching him vs. Alabama tape the other day He held his own against Jon Allen coming off the edge, there was a few things he could have cleaned up (kick slide and arm punch) but overall kept his QB clean from Allen. The problem with that is Allen is an interior defender, very rarely with he be facing that type of competition in the NFL

Once Nick Saban had Tim Williams on that side, it was clear that Lamp is best suited to play guard. Williams gets his hands on Lamp and Lamp can't counter back to shorter arms, again the kick slide was worrisome especially knowing he'd be facing guys like Von Miller and Khalil Mack etc. Although he recovered nicely on most snaps against Williams by keeping his QB clean there were many of plays where the QB pressure was there, leaving his QB panicked.

Now on run plays Lamp got very small and drove his head into Jon Allen's chest, basically having him locked up and was able to drive him anywhere he wanted to take him, this type of trait would suit him better going against interior defenders and battling bull rushers at the next level, he can become a damn good Guard with an Evan Mathis type career
                      Welcome to the forum bolts4lyfe!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• SDFan
                        Woober Goober
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Dolores, CO
                        • Retired
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Rugger05 View Post
                        I have been saddled with a short appendage and it didn't hinder me too much back in the day. Many things go into being a complete person then having a short appendage :banghead::banghead::banghead:
                        I have large hands. Can't relate to your situation.
                        Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• bolts4lyfe
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Mar 2017
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Rugger05 View Post
                          Welcome to the forum bolts4lyfe!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                          Thanks Rugger05, looking forward to chatting with good people who share a common interest again, last couple months were rough haha

Comment

Working...
                          X