• Show
Clear All
  • BoltBacker
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Las Vegas, NV
    • Send PM

Perspective time

What is worse, watching the disappointing loss to the Texans. As tough as it was it had to be better than all the teams we thought were contenders getting off to slow starts under Norv. Everyone on this board expected a loss last week and we almost got a win. We expect a loss this week too. Still no reason the Cahrgers won't be competitive going into the part of the schedule where we will get some wins and get this thing going in the right direction.
  • UtahBolt
    Did we win?
    • Jun 2013
    • I'll ride the wave...where it takes me.
    • Send PM

I did not expect a loss, I expected the Chargers to win. I had said that many times on this board weeks before the game. I thought and still think that the Texans are overated and are a one and done in the playoffs. We had them down and for whatever reason everything changed with about 25 mins to go. Not sure why but there seems to be many different theories. Either way, in the words of Denny Green, "we let em off the hook!"
    I'll ride the wave...where it takes me.

Comment

• Boltergeist
      Pesky apparition
      • Jun 2013
      • Baja Oklahoma
      • Send PM

Originally posted by UtahBolt View Post
      I did not expect a loss, I expected the Chargers to win. I had said that many times on this board weeks before the game. I thought and still think that the Texans are overated and are a one and done in the playoffs. We had them down and for whatever reason everything changed with about 25 mins to go. Not sure why but there seems to be many different theories. Either way, in the words of Denny Green, "we let em off the hook!"
      Except I don't think they are who you thought they were.

Comment

• ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

I think the Texans get a bum rap nationally because their defense was so flimsy last year. But a lot of people didn't realize (or take into account) how many injuries they had on D. When they were relatively healthy they were a dominant unit. When Reed comes back they should have a deeper defense this year, and losing Barwin was addition by subtraction. Mercilus is primed for a breakout.

Of course Schaub deserves a lot of the knocks he gets. But with the addition of Hopkins and Kubiak wanting to split more carries between Tate and Foster, he could have a stronger supporting cast. Kubiak isn't my favorite coach, so the Schaub-Kubiak thing doesn't work for me that much but they are serviceable. It's hard to see this team as anything other than Top 5-6 in the league given the breadth and depth of talent.

Comment

• BoltBalls
          Always keep eye contact!
          • Jun 2013
          • SD!
          • Send PM

The Texans defense is very good and their talent on both sides of the ball showed in the 4th quarter when they took over the game. Their star LB Cushing was out for basically the whole season last year, and low and behold he made the key game changing play against us with that pick 6. They are a top 5 team IMO with solid playmakers in all areas. I didn't expect the Chargers to win either and was pleasantly surprised by the play in the first half and obviously disappointed with the finish but like others have said it was more the Texans beating us than the Chargers beating themselves, this time around.

Comment

• Geezbolt
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Sun Valley, ID
            • Send PM

Originally posted by UtahBolt View Post
            Either way, in the words of Denny Green, "we let em off the hook!"
            "They were who we thought they were!"

Comment

• oneinchpunch
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

It did seem like a Denny Green coached game
              Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• KYBoltsFan
                THERE'S A GLEAM, MEN
                Generous Donor
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

How about the vaunted Texans D getting 2 sacks on our "porous" O-line, and not a whole helluva lot on pressures? Take away a all-world play by Cushing and the drops to Gates and Royal, which were perfectly thrown and had the temerity to hit the receiver in the hands, and we're all having a much different discussion here.
                NO SIGNATURE REQUIRED

Comment

• QSmokey
                  Guardedly Optimistic
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Kuna, Idaho
                  • Retired
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by KYBoltsFan View Post
                  How about the vaunted Texans D getting 2 sacks on our "porous" O-line, and not a whole helluva lot on pressures? Take away a all-world play by Cushing and the drops to Gates and Royal, which were perfectly thrown and had the temerity to hit the receiver in the hands, and we're all having a much different discussion here.
                  You're about the 5th-6th person to categorize the Cushing INT as supernatural. I wonder if I was watching the same game? The guy (Cushing) guessed, correctly, that Rivers was targeting Woodstock (who was being stared down by Rivers), and leaves his man (Green) to drift into the passing lane. Rivers, under pressure, tosses an ill-advised pass to Woodchuck and Cushing makes a diving INT. Nice play, for sure. Good read. Heady. But it's not like it was some sort of Herculean effort or freakish physical feat (say that 5 times fast ). Hardly "all world", IMO.

Comment

• sandiego17
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

A lot of what you said was true Q, leading up to the throw/int. But can't take anything away from Cushing. Hell of a catch.

Comment

• Maverick
                      (Coryellian)
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Point Loma
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post
                      You're about the 5th-6th person to categorize the Cushing INT as supernatural. I wonder if I was watching the same game? The guy (Cushing) guessed, correctly, that Rivers was targeting Woodstock (who was being stared down by Rivers), and leaves his man (Green) to drift into the passing lane. Rivers, under pressure, tosses an ill-advised pass to Woodchuck and Cushing makes a diving INT. Nice play, for sure. Good read. Heady. But it's not like it was some sort of Herculean effort or freakish physical feat (say that 5 times fast ). Hardly "all world", IMO.
                      Well.....supernatural or not, I can practically guarantee that NONE of OUR RECEIVERS would have been able to make that catch.

Comment

• richpjr
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Nashville
                        • Send PM

I finally got around to watching the interception as you don't get the same perspective from the stands at the game. It was a hell of a guess and catch by Cushing. After all the talk about Woodhead not looking for the ball and how it being so far behind him he couldn't catch it - gotta disagree with that. It was behind him but he was twisting his body to catch it before the pick. As for staring down the receiver - how much time does a QB have to scan the field when a rusher is coming in untouched at him? It was a killer interception for sure, but it wasn't even close to being as bad as something like the pick against Tampa last year. Gotta agree with Dilfer on this one.

Comment

Working...
                        X