Practice Report: Key Observations from First Day of Chargers Camp

Sunday, July 30, 2017 6:30 PM PDT

By Ricky Henne
    Managing Editor
    Chargers.com

@ChargersRHenne

Recent Videos

NFLN: People Should Stop Sleeping on Tyrell Williams

NFL Network's Gregg Rosenthal has the latest on how the Los Angeles Chargers wide receiver core will respond without having wide receiver Mike Williams. Watch

Top Practice Play: Rivers to Benjamin for 6

Watch a play from practice. Watch

More Videos

Key Observations from First Day of Chargers Cam

TOP PLAYS:
    Travis Benjamin made a highlight reel grab along the left sideline, showing off his athleticism to high point the ball while barely tapping both feet in bounds.
    Branden Oliver brought the crowd to its feet by catching a ball deep down field along the right sideline.
    Derek Watt proved to be a security blanket for the QBs, catching numerous passes out of the backfield.

Cardale Jones found Artavis Scott for a 40-yard TD strike. The pair connected again later for another big gain.
    Trevor Williams had sticky coverage all day, and picked off a pass during 1-on-1s.
    Michael Davis showed off his length and athleticism by knocking a ball away from the 6-4 Tyrell Williams.
    Andre Williams burst through a big hole paved by Kenny Wiggins and Brett Boyko.
    Jahleel Addae had a number of run stuffs, including one where he sliced left to stop the running back well behind the line of scrimmage.
    Kenjon Barner showed off a nasty spin move after snaring a ball out of the backfield.
    Jeff Cumberland got free over the middle to haul in a deep pass from Kellen Clemens.
    Isaac Rochell kicked off his very first training camp with an impressive run stuff.
    Nick Dzubnar burst through for a sack toward the end of the day.
    Hunter Henry ended practice on a high-note with a couple big gains.

WHO IMPRESSED:
    It was an electric atmosphere at Jack Hammett Sports Complex, and the Bolts fed off the energy. While there was some rust to knock off, it was a pretty smooth first day of camp. I thought the defense had a strong showing against the run. Jatavis Brown, Jahleel Addae, Isaac Rochell and Melvin Ingram all made impressive plays in that phase of the game. I was also impressed by the cornerbacks. Trevor Williams showed out during 1-on-1s, while Casey Hayward backed up his talk about wanting to be the top corner in the NFL this year. On offense, I thought the tight ends stole the show with some nifty grabs.

Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
    The Wasted Decade is done.
    Build Back Better.

Comment

• Formula 21
      The Future is Now
      • Jun 2013
      • Republic of San Diego
      • Send PM

Sports Chargers

Chargers* buzz falls off, Day 2 in O.C.

Tom KrasovicContact Reporter

Observations from Day 2 of Chargers* training camp in Orange CountyTyrell Williams created enough air cushion to make local drivers envious.

Travis BenjaminKeenan Allen caught several passes while wearing a brace over his reconstructed knee.

Weeks removed from core surgery, Dontrelle InmanMike WilliamsMike Windt.

Undrafted rookie Michael DavisGus Bradley preferred while coaching the Seattle SeahawksBrandon MebaneMelvin Gordon, punched the ball loose and made the recovery near the goal line, it was Christmas morning for defensive teammates and Bradley.
      Tom.Krasovic@SDUnionTribune.com; Twitter: SDUTKrasovic

Build Back Better.

Comment

• Formula 21
        The Future is Now
        • Jun 2013
        • Republic of San Diego
        • Send PM

Melvin Gordon getting punked by a rookie. Not good.

Michael Davis, Way to go. Impress me.
        Build Back Better.

Comment

• Formula 21
          The Future is Now
          • Jun 2013
          • Republic of San Diego
          • Send PM

Injury update: Along with Williams, cornerback Jason Verrett (knee) and safety Darrell Stuckey (knee) did not practice and remain on the PUP list. Players who did not practice during offseason work but returned to the field include defensive lineman Caraun Reid (knee), offensive lineman Donavon Clark (knee), cornerback Casey Hayward (ankle) and edge rusher Chris McCain (ankle). With Verrett out, Craig Mager worked with the first group at cornerback.
          Tuerk remains the ghost.
          Build Back Better.

Comment

• Formula 21
            The Future is Now
            • Jun 2013
            • Republic of San Diego
            • Send PM

Keenan Allen Rebounds with Impressive Second Day of Camp

Monday, July 31, 2017 3:40 PM PDT

By Ricky Henne
            Managing Editor
            Chargers.com

@ChargersRHenne

Chargers Camp got off to a rousing start Sunday, but Keenan Allen
            Build Back Better.

Comment

• Rugger05
              Administrator
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula Two One View Post
              Melvin Gordon getting punked by a rookie. Not good.

Michael Davis, Way to go. Impress me.
              Can't wait to see Davis in preseason. Let's see if the hype it real.

Comment

• Formula 21
                The Future is Now
                • Jun 2013
                • Republic of San Diego
                • Send PM

LA Times

Notes

For the second practice in a row, Forrest Lamp and Dan Feeney James Onwualu, a teammate of seventh-round pick Isaac RochelleMelvin Gordon broke through the line and ran away for the defense for what looked like an easy score, but undrafted cornerback Michael DavisNigel Harris intercepted newly acquired quarterback Cardale Jones during seven-on-seven drills and broke up another pass during 11-on-11 drills.
                Build Back Better.

Comment

• Formula 21
                  The Future is Now
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Republic of San Diego
                  • Send PM

DEPTH CHART

Second-round draft pick Forrest Lamp got significant reps at right guard, working with both the first- and second-string offensive line. Fellow rookie Dan Feeney spent more time at center; when he was on the second team, he bumped former third-round pick Max Tuerk to left guard.
                  Build Back Better.

Comment

• Big Dog
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula Two One View Post
                    DEPTH CHART

Second-round draft pick Forrest Lamp got significant reps at right guard, working with both the first- and second-string offensive line. Fellow rookie Dan Feeney spent more time at center; when he was on the second team, he bumped former third-round pick Max Tuerk to left guard.
                    A Tuerk sighting !!!!

Comment

• Rugger05
                      Administrator
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Pads come on today!!!!

First padded practice Tuesday: After two practices in shells, the Chargers will hold their first fully padded practice on Tuesday. Head coach Anthony Lynn said having full pads adds another layer to his evaluation of the players, but he also has to be careful about injuries. "We have to tempo that," Lynn said. "Because I read a stat before I became a head coach that new head coaches have a 20 percent higher injury rate. And I think a lot of that is because guys are trying to impress the new coaches and they're going harder. So we have to tempo that and make sure we keep everyone safe first. But it's going to be physical. And it's going to be a good measuring stick for us to see where we are technique-wise."

Kaser looks the part: After an uneven rookie season, punter Drew Kaser looks like the guy the Chargers drafted in the sixth round out of Texas A&M last year. Kaser boomed a 70-yard punt during practice on Monday and appears to be hitting the ball more consistently. ... Rookie offensive linemen Forrest Lamp and Dan Feeney continue to get reps with the first group. Feeney worked at center and right guard with the first group, and Lamp worked at right guard. They didn't work together at the same time with the starters.

Injury update: Mike Williams remains on the physically unable to perform list with a disc herniation in his lower back. However, Williams stood on the sideline and watched most of the Chargers' practice on Monday, and also caught passes from the Jugs machine after practice for a second straight day. Along with Williams, Verrett (knee) and safety Darrell Stuckey (knee) remain on the physically unable to perform list for the Chargers.

Comment

• blueman
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Like getting the OL rooks time at a couple of positions early in TC, expect that settles down soon though.

Comment

• Bearded14YourPleasure
                          Fluent in Sarcasm
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Iowa
                          • Man of the People
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
                          Like getting the OL rooks time at a couple of positions early in TC, expect that settles down soon though.
                          Probably just to evaluate their play at those positions against the vets. Seems like they are starting to focus Lamp at RG and Feeney at C though.

Comment

Working...
                          X