• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TTK
    EX-Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • America's Finest City
    • Send PM

The rule is that you can't hit a defenseless receiver. The NFL deemed Floyd a defenseless receiver, hence the fine to Ryans. You can complain all you want about this not being real football anymore but following the letter of the law, Ryans screwed up by hitting Floyd the way he did.

Comment

• oneinchpunch
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by TTK View Post
      The rule is that you can't hit a defenseless receiver. The NFL deemed Floyd a defenseless receiver, hence the fine to Ryans. You can complain all you want about this not being real football anymore but following the letter of the law, Ryans screwed up by hitting Floyd the way he did.
      Depends on if you think he made a 'football move' after the catch. To me it seemed he was turning his body upfield. It's a borderline call
      Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• TTK
        EX-Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • America's Finest City
        • Send PM

Originally posted by oneinchpunch View Post
        Depends on if you think he made a 'football move' after the catch. To me it seemed he was turning his body upfield. It's a borderline call
        According to what the NFL ruled, he was a defenseless receiver.

Comment

• oneinchpunch
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by TTK View Post
          According to what the NFL ruled, he was a defenseless receiver.
          I understand what the NFL ruled. They also ruled that Calvin Johnson didn't score a TD.

By my eyes he made a football move. But I can see why other people view it differently.
          Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• Panama
            パナマ
            • Aug 2013
            • London
            • Opera singer and web developer.
            • Send PM

Originally posted by homeless simpson View Post
            would you rather have Floyd have his head up so he can use his face to absorb Ryan's hit?
            Yes, absolutely! The first thing they teach (or at least I was taught and in turn taught youngsters during my brief coaching stint) is that you don't lower your head going into contact because that is when neck injuries happen. As one coach said to me, better a broken nose than a broken neck!
            Adipose

Comment

• Panama
              パナマ
              • Aug 2013
              • London
              • Send PM

Originally posted by homeless simpson View Post
              if his head was up, his head would have been snapped backwards.
              Nope. You're wrong; Den60 is right. You've never played a collision sport, have you?
              Adipose

Comment

• madcaplaughs
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

There is a marked difference in the way the Ref's determine calls on small/large market teams. I'm convinced of it. Then there's the Brady/Manning thing. If those guys break a nail, it's ejection, 100K fine, and a 15 yard fine. Then there's the absolute ignoring of holding by their tackles. I'm sick of it.

Comment

• thelightningwill
                  Go Aztecs and Pads
                  • Jul 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by madcaplaughs View Post
                  There is a marked difference in the way the Ref's determine calls on small/large market teams. I'm convinced of it. Then there's the Brady/Manning thing. If those guys break a nail, it's ejection, 100K fine, and a 15 yard fine. Then there's the absolute ignoring of holding by their tackles. I'm sick of it.
                  I agree. The NFL is becoming more and more like the NBA. I think it all started with Joe Montana. The refs might as well have worn brass knuckles, roided up, and tazed any defender who got within 5 feet of the 49ers QB.
                  However, I wasn't born back in the day. Maybe the NFL did the same thing for guys like Unitas or Sammy Baugh.
                  Last edited by thelightningwill; 09-22-2013, 06:41 AM.

Comment

• Panama
                    パナマ
                    • Aug 2013
                    • London
                    • Send PM

Biased anyone? I see QBs, especially pocket QBs, protected pretty uniformly. Okay, yes, you hit a read-option QB you're less likely to draw a flag, but that's a calculated risk of running that offense. Yes, the NFL wishes to protect its most valuable assets (QBs), but I don't notice any sort of persistent bias. I think it's merely perception, and maybe perception based on the "less protected" QBs playing on inferior teams with inferior protection.

As for holding, the league has made it a point of emphasis this season to call fewer holding penalties, so, yes, OTs are getting away with more holding, but it's going both ways, as far as I can tell.
                    Adipose

Comment

• Den60
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Panama View Post
                      Nope. You're wrong; Den60 is right. You've never played a collision sport, have you?
                      Just like a broken clock, eh?

I was a distance runner but I do have a background in anatomy. There was a guy at a rival high school who broke his neck because he speared a guy (Kip Hayes). He sued the helmet maker successfully. I also recall an article years ago how the advances in helmet technology has led to more neck injuries because they fit too tight. Back in the 60s when players' head made contact with something (the ground or another player) the helmet would spin around which reduced the amount of torque the neck experienced greatly. Player would come away with broken,bloody noses and facial lacerations but they had few spinal injuries. It is one of the reason why the league doesn't want to approve soft covers for helmets that are supposed to reduce the risk of a concussion. They don't want to reduce the ability of the helmet to slide on contact because they fear an increase in spinal injuries would result.

Comment

• homeless simpson
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

unless humans develop a biological gyroscopic sensor on their head to automatically tilt their head maintaining a perpendicular angle with the ground as their body is lurching/leaning or falling forward, guys like Floyd and every single human on the planet will lower their head at the same angle as their body. Just as Ryan could not avoid hitting Floyd, saying Floyd could've or should've not lowered his head that split second is nearly impossible to avoid also. Just look at every single player in any NFL game and tell me how many of them tilt their head up versus lowering their head just before impact.

granted this article is about running backs and spearing of the helmet/helmet to helmet hits, every single player (even when taught to play with their head up) still just naturally lowers their head:

“This is a joke,” Marshall Faulk said on NFL Network, via ProFootballTalk.com. “If you're a ball carrier and you're trying to protect yourself, you're going to duck. …
                        “If I'm a running back and I'm running into a linebacker, you're telling me I have to keep my head up so he can take my chin off?'' [Emmitt] Smith said during an appearance on 105.3 The Fan radio in Dallas. “You've absolutely lost your mind.

“As a running back, it's almost impossible [to not lower your head],'' Smith continued. “The first thing you do is get behind your shoulder pads. That means you're leaning forward, and the first part of contact that's going to take place is your head, regardless.
                        Eric Dickerson, who also happens to hold the single-season rushing record and knows something about meting out punishment, told CBSSports.com's Mike Freeman that he lowered his head "to protect myself.

When you run the football with your chin up in the air, you're going to get knocked out. Look at Stevan Ridley in the AFC Championship Game -- if he would've gotten low, I don't see him getting knocked out by Bernard Pollard on that game-changing play. I know this: If you face contact with your eyes up, you will get hurt. As a ball carrier, the only thing you can do to protect yourself sometimes is getting down, and that now can be taken as lowering your helmet and using it as a weapon. You take that away from a guy, and now you have to run up in there chin-first.

Comment

Working...
                        X