Why is nobody talking about the Rivers penalty?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • QSmokey
    Guardedly Optimistic
    • Jun 2013
    • Kuna, Idaho
    • Retired
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Vermstyr View Post
    When they replayed what happened, it looked like the Ref closest to him as he started walking away put his hand on the flag and said something like, 'Don't turn around', 'Keep walking', or 'One more word...'. Then, as Rivers was walking away, he turned around and said something else and seemed to make a 'throw the flag then' gesture. The ref then removed the flag and threw it.

So essentially, it looked like he could have gotten away with it if he had just walked back to the huddle and not turned around and gotten the last word in.
    That has been my feeling, as well. He just HAD to say that one last thing.

Comment

fender57
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post
      That has been my feeling, as well. He just HAD to say that one last thing.
      And that's my big beef with Rivers, he just can't shut his mouth and as alluded to earlier in the thread, to be a championship-caliber leader, that shit has to be curtailed. Sadly, I don't believe he has it in him to curtail it. He almost reminds me of Marty in some ways.

Comment

• TTK
        EX-Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • America's Finest City
        • Send PM

Shut your pie-hole Rivers!

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
          No Sir, I Dont Like It
          • Jun 2013
          • Section 457
          • Migrant Film Worker
          • Send PM

Time to shut this pie holes
          Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
          sigpic

Comment

• Maverick
            (Coryellian)
            • Jun 2013
            • Point Loma
            • Send PM

Not saying it was great, but it certainly wasn't the reason we lost that game......not by a long shot.

Comment

• MakoShark
              Disgruntled
              • Jun 2013
              • North Alabama
              • Send PM

In perusing the new CBA I don't think Rivers can be fined for his actions. Here is a searchable version of the CBA and I didn't see a "conduct detrimental to the team" fine allowed after 2011. Rivers actions wouldn't fall into any of the other catagories. Discipline starts on page 180. The only thing I see that might apply is Section 2, Published Lists. IF the Chargers published and posted a list at the start of training camp, that covered this type of incident, then Rivers could be fined up to a weeks salary.

Thats if I'm reading this right and I'm not fluent in legal-eze.
              sigpic

Comment

• cyberbolt
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Maverick View Post
                Not saying it was great, but it certainly wasn't the reason we lost that game......not by a long shot.

No, but it sure didn't help. Rivers should know better.

Comment

• Yubaking
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jul 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Mr. Ray Dehaiter View Post
                  That was a joke. Rivers cannot get flagged right there. That is totally immature. I have been a huge Rivers supporter and this is the only time I have ever thought he was out of control. We were about to make it 14-3, had a 1st and goal from the 15 and they couldn't stop us. Rivers taking a bad call to the extreme put us in an impossible situation.

I hope Mike McCoy rode his ass over it, but I doubt it. It needs to happen.
                  The penalty should not have been called. We know Rivers does not curse, so it was not likely what he said, but rather how he said it. How he said it, while demonstrative in nature, was well within the bounds of normal for an NFL game, and that is why I am sure Rivers was not expecting to get flagged.

The penalty likely made zero difference whatsoever as we would have had well over 10 yards to go to get the TD, so we probably would have been looking at a FG anyway. Obviously, there's no guarantee there, but the Allen penalty is more of a problem than the Rivers penalty.

So the blame should go to Allen for drawing the penalty. That was the real drive killer, just like any holding call by an offensive lineman would be. Even still, that call isn't always made, especially if you play WR for any team for which Peyton Manning plays. But Allen has to do a better job of making his intended interference not look like interference.

Comment

• Coachmarkos
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • SoDak
                    • Technology Director
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Yubaking View Post
                    The penalty should not have been called. We know Rivers does not curse, so it was not likely what he said, but rather how he said it. How he said it, while demonstrative in nature, was well within the bounds of normal for an NFL game, and that is why I am sure Rivers was not expecting to get flagged.

The penalty likely made zero difference whatsoever as we would have had well over 10 yards to go to get the TD, so we probably would have been looking at a FG anyway. Obviously, there's no guarantee there, but the Allen penalty is more of a problem than the Rivers penalty.

So the blame should go to Allen for drawing the penalty. That was the real drive killer, just like any holding call by an offensive lineman would be. Even still, that call isn't always made, especially if you play WR for any team for which Peyton Manning plays. But Allen has to do a better job of making his intended interference not look like interference.
                    I disagree and disagree wholeheartedly.

Rivers earned, deserved, and asked for that flag. It was completely inappropriate...and I may add... he was wrong...It was a complete pick play. I can't believe the refs let him go as long as they did.

1st and goal at the 15 is a whole different animal from 1st and goal at the 25.

It may have cost us 4 points, it may not have. But it certainly fired up their defense, and got their crowd in the game.
                    "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

• TTK
                      EX-Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • America's Finest City
                      • Send PM

Allen blew it with the blatant pick. Rivers blew it by not shutting his pie hole. Green blew the block that led to the blocked FG. Whiz and McCoy blew it by going Martyball in the 2nd half. Gilchrist blew it by not holding on to the game winning INT. Pagano blew it for being all around idiot.

Oh, and TT blew it for not signing Bigby.

Total team loss.

Comment

• richpjr
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Nashville
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by 6025 View Post
                        And that's my big beef with Rivers, he just can't shut his mouth and as alluded to earlier in the thread, to be a championship-caliber leader, that shit has to be curtailed. Sadly, I don't believe he has it in him to curtail it. He almost reminds me of Marty in some ways.
                        Yeah, we need a stoic QB who never shows emotions - like Tom Brady. That's the kind of personality that wins championships, not those fiery guys...

Comment

• Den60
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
                          Yeah, we need a stoic QB who never shows emotions - like Tom Brady. That's the kind of personality that wins championships, not those fiery guys...
                          So, you even defend him even on this? It was a stupid penalty and an embarrassment for the organization when adding that stupid kick of the ball at the end of the game. Go around the league outside of San Diego and you will find that Rivers is not well liked by fans - even ones who are rooting for division or conference rivals. There is a reason for that and Rivers did himself no favors last weekend.
                          Last edited by Den60; 09-24-2013, 01:22 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X