• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MakoShark
    Disgruntled
    • Jun 2013
    • North Alabama
    • Send PM

With the lack of depth and without a true NT, I think the switch to a 4-3 wouldn't be a bad idea. Sure as hell couldn't hurt. Might be tough to on the Dline, but its already tough on them. Could help releave the pressure on the LB's and mask our lack of depth here. It would bring to light a couple of different questions about players and their abilities, but we are dealing with those anyway in the 3-4. do we have a true MILB? Do we have guys that we can plug into DT roles? I think we could easily cover the DE and OLB roles in a 4-3. :2cents:
    sigpic

Comment

• SDFan
      Woober Goober
      • Jun 2013
      • Dolores, CO
      • Retired
      • Send PM

Originally posted by oneinchpunch View Post
      The answer is no.

So without a NT the Bolts are forced to play more nickle without the proper personnel to do so.

We were spoiled with Jamal. And lucky to have Franklin. But the middle of the defense is collapsing and there is nothing the players can do about it.
      nothing the current players can do about it- but they aren't supposed to be starters either. With a healthy Butler, Te'o and Taylor in there I suspect the middle defense would be much better. time will tell on that.
      Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• OhioBolt
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

3-4 or 4-3 it doesn't matter we don't have enough quality defensive linemen to put four up front let alone three in our current 3-4.

If we did wanted to go to a 4-3 that should of been decided when Mike McCoy first came aboard, then you would of drafted a quality defensive line man with the 2nd round pick.

We don't have the dominate NT in our current 3-4, and does Teo see and sinificant playing time if we go to 4-3, I don't know if has the neccessary footspeed to be on the outside.

If we decide to go 4-3 that would need to be looking into that at the end of the 2013 season and seek the proper personel going into the 2014 season.

Comment

• Panama
          パナマ
          • Aug 2013
          • London
          • Opera singer and web developer.
          • Send PM

No one (that I'm aware) runs a pure 4-3 or 3-4 anymore. The 3-4 is our base defense, but we do run plays out of a 4-3 look. If we're short-handed at LB, maybe it makes sense to run more 4-3 looks with Freeney in a 3-point stance. I don't know. I'll trust the coaching staff's judgment on that.
          Adipose

Comment

• OhioBolt
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Panama View Post
            No one (that I'm aware) runs a pure 4-3 or 3-4 anymore. The 3-4 is our base defense, but we do run plays out of a 4-3 look. If we're short-handed at LB, maybe it makes sense to run more 4-3 looks with Freeney in a 3-point stance. I don't know. I'll trust the coaching staff's judgment on that.
            You are putting alot of faith in the Defensive Coach! I give them a semi-pass on the Titans game do to injuries up till the last drive of the game they did some horrible defensive play calling.

Comment

• Panama
              パナマ
              • Aug 2013
              • London
              • Send PM

Originally posted by OhioBolt View Post
              You are putting alot of faith in the Defensive Coach! I give them a semi-pass on the Titans game do to injuries up till the last drive of the game they did some horrible defensive play calling.
              Pagano has earned my trust based on previous results. (And in any case, though I played defense in the States and was briefly a DC for a London university, I feel pretty confident in saying that anyone on that staff has more football smarts and knowledge of their personnel situation than any of us.) Yes, the safety blitz on the Titans' go-ahead TD was a bad call by the defensive staff, but one mistake does not nullify all the good work they've done. They are doing their best under extremely difficult conditions to put the players in the best position to succeed, but mistakes do happen.
              Adipose

Comment

• QSmokey
                Guardedly Optimistic
                • Jun 2013
                • Kuna, Idaho
                • Retired
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Panama View Post
                Pagano has earned my trust based on previous results. (And in any case, though I played defense in the States and was briefly a DC for a London university, I feel pretty confident in saying that anyone on that staff has more football smarts and knowledge of their personnel situation than any of us.) Yes, the safety blitz on the Titans' go-ahead TD was a bad call by the defensive staff, but one mistake does not nullify all the good work they've done. They are doing their best under extremely difficult conditions to put the players in the best position to succeed, but mistakes do happen.
                When do you have time for coaching AMERICAN FOOTBALL when you're performing Pagliacci? How's your Vesti la giubba?
                Last edited by QSmokey; 09-25-2013, 10:44 AM.

Comment

• Panama
                  パナマ
                  • Aug 2013
                  • London
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post
                  When do you have time for coaching AMERICAN FOOTBALL when you're performing Pagliacci? How's your Vesti la guibba?
                  I did say it was a brief stint, didn't I?

I was asked to be the defensive coordinator for King's College, London. It was their first season having an American football team, so I got to coach a lot of kids who'd never played football and some who'd played in college. Drilled the fundamentals. Lots of fun. But I only was with them for a summer. I was offered my first opera role and could not commit to the team. I offered to stay on in an advisory capacity as my opera career allowed, but they chose to move on. The old head coach was moving back to the States and I think the new coach wanted to bring his own people in.) Last I heard, they were doing pretty well.

(My favorite memory: Towards the end of the summer, we decided it would be a good idea to end practice with a scrimmage, so giving the players a taste of something other than drills. One practice we were shorthanded on defense so I let my charges talk me into playing with them. (They didn't have to twist my arm too hard, and we weren't in pads.) A few of the players were talking about how they were going to get Coach, so on one play I completely destroyed a double team and made the tackle for a loss. Then I went back to the defensive huddle, accepted the high-fives, and made it a teaching opportunity: "I may be old and fat and out of shape, and you kids might be fit and fast and strong, but proper technique(/leverage) and discipline trumps ability every time." I like to think the message sank in.)

I got offered a role in Pagliacci but turned it down. I did not feel I was suited for the role. And I would never sing "Vesti la giubba" as I am not a tenor. I am a bass-baritone.
                  Last edited by Panama; 09-25-2013, 09:57 AM.
                  Adipose

Comment

• KNSD
                    Registered Charger Hater
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

The defense seems to be more of a 5-2 than a 3-4. Our OLBs on both sides are pretty big.

I think the team was hanging its hat on quick MLBs (Teo and Butler) to be good cover LBs.
                    Prediction:
                    Correct: Chargers CI fails miserably.
                    Fail: Team stays in San Diego until their lease runs out in 2020. (without getting new deal done by then) .
                    Sig Bet WIN: The Chargers will file for relocation on January 15.

Comment

• homeless simpson
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

i keep seeing Taylor's name pop up (along with Teo) and how we'd be better once they're healthy....1. Taylor hasn't done jackshit so far in his pro career and has hardly been healthy. 2. Teo is a rookie coming back from injury and we don't really know how well he'll play as a pro.

Comment

• SDFan
                        Woober Goober
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Dolores, CO
                        • Retired
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by homeless simpson View Post
                        i keep seeing Taylor's name pop up (along with Teo) and how we'd be better once they're healthy....1. Taylor hasn't done jackshit so far in his pro career and has hardly been healthy. 2. Teo is a rookie coming back from injury and we don't really know how well he'll play as a pro.
                        can't be worse with them in there, so....
                        Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• Beerman
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Eastlake
                          • Send PM

I can guarantee Te'o will be an upgrade. Our ILB's have been career special teamers and Weddle. They have all been brutal.

Comment

Working...
                          X