Clear All
  • QSmokey
    Guardedly Optimistic
    • Jun 2013
    • Kuna, Idaho
    • Retired
    • Send PM

Originally posted by TBF View Post
    But we're they all household names prior to that season....? A Super Bowl win changes perception greatly.

The key is that they played great team football, we're very cohesive, picked up where others lacked & did it without the marquee guys. Sure some were already established all pro's but the lion share of players on that team were just good NFL players that were well coached and 'really' bought into the system.
    For Choice #2, I think if you had added the word "mostly" before "no names" you would have gotten a lot less nit-picking. Even though Choice #2 is pitching a shutout so far in the poll.

Comment

• Beerman
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Eastlake
      • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post
      For Choice #2, I think if you had added the word "mostly" before "no names" you would have gotten a lot less nit-picking. Even though Choice #2 is pitching a shutout so far in the poll.
      Not anymore!

I would have preferred a third option with a mixture of both.

Comment

• QSmokey
        Guardedly Optimistic
        • Jun 2013
        • Kuna, Idaho
        • Retired
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Beerman View Post
        Not anymore!

I would have preferred a third option with a mixture of both.
        That was OIP, I'm sure. He likes to play games with me.

Comment

• TABF
          Por debajo del promedio
          • Jun 2013
          • SoCal
          • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post
          I think there is some level of assumption.... We have plenty of named/marquee players on our "team" but I think all here assume our current team is more 2 than 1...

However, I'm on a mobile device and can't currently see the damn poll through tapatalk.

Comment

• MakoShark
            Disgruntled
            • Jun 2013
            • North Alabama
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Panama View Post
            Thing is, if you put together a team of no-names that plays like a team and wins a bunch of games, the no-names won't be no-names for long.
            Exactly. Especially in the "age of communication" that we live in now. Back in '72 the Dolphins (or maybe it was just their D) were actually nicknamed "The No Names". Even back then it didn't last long.
            sigpic

Comment

• Yubaking
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by TBF View Post
              Which would you rather have, a very talented group with marquee players, but perform like individuals, or a no name group of guys that play above themselves and find a way to win?

If (A BIG HUGE IF)... We are going to win more games than not this season, we are going to have to do it with the latter for sure. Tons of talent in the NFL, but not all talented groups are true teams in every sense of the word. A few things I know... We out coached and out played the boys on Sunday and we played like a team.

I have no idea who was on the field as some of these guys were not football players a month ago, but we found a way to win. I don't know if Sunday was an anomoly and I don't know if we are a team, but it will sure be fun to watch what happens w/our group of no-name kids.
              This further clarification was not at the top of the poll where we were to vote, so my vote is just based upon the language of the poll itself and not the above quoted clarifying language.

Comment

• TABF
                Por debajo del promedio
                • Jun 2013
                • SoCal
                • Send PM

Originally posted by MakoShark View Post
                Exactly. Especially in the "age of communication" that we live in now. Back in '72 the Dolphins (or maybe it was just their D) were actually nicknamed "The No Names". Even back then it didn't last long.
                Some are missing the point. Its obvious, that a ton of teams (no matter what) have marquee players... Even the early money ball Oakland A's had some talented well known players.

We don't have a roster that impresses anyone, so if we are going to win, we will have to win with;
                1. Great Coaching
                2. A system that can hide or aid our defencencies as best as possible
                3. Players/Coaches/Staffers/Inturns and even a fan base that buys into both 1 and 2
                4. A lot of frick'n luck
                5. And a few"less known" (even by us) role players will have to step up and make a name for themself.

Comment

• TABF
                  Por debajo del promedio
                  • Jun 2013
                  • SoCal
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Yubaking View Post
                  This further clarification was not at the top of the poll where we were to vote, so my vote is just based upon the language of the poll itself and not the above quoted clarifying language.
                  As your parents always told you read everything before you sign... And as your first boss told you, measure twice & cut once...
                  Last edited by TABF; 10-02-2013, 02:14 PM.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
                    Grammar Police
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Yubaking View Post
                    Thank you Yuba, you have reminded me that Luarie Anderson was right.

Language is a virus! In the wrong hands especialy!
                    Go Rivers!

Comment

• KNSD
                      Registered Charger Hater
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Yes this team is fun to watch.
                      Prediction:
                      Correct: Chargers CI fails miserably.
                      Fail: Team stays in San Diego until their lease runs out in 2020. (without getting new deal done by then) .
                      Sig Bet WIN: The Chargers will file for relocation on January 15.

Comment

• blahblahblah
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Sep 2013
                        • Send PM

Isn't there a car commercial about this? I prefer "and". /\ > \/

Comment

Working...
                        X