• Show
Clear All
  • SDFan
    Woober Goober
    • Jun 2013
    • Dolores, CO
    • Retired
    • Send PM

As I remember it, Pascale had some spine/hip/leg condition or accident that crippled him and he was bedridden in the hospital for months during a season. He and assistants created defensive game plans from his hospital room. Once he got out of the hospital he was able to get around on crutches a little but was told by doctors he couldn't coach anymore because he could not stand for long periods on the sidelines as needed. He was 1 year away from retirement so Spanos kept him on payroll as an advisor until his pension was supposed to kick in. Not sure where you guys heard all this other supposed acrimony with other coaches, but the fact is his health ended his coaching days, not management or conspiracy.
    Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• oneinchpunch
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

He was healthy enough to come back. And he was one year away from his pension when they decided not to bring him back. The NFL heard his case and decided not to give him his pension because then others might try to get an early pension as well. Fellow coaches held fundraisers to pay for his hospital bills. But he never got that 1 year job that would've given him his pension.
      Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• SDFan
        Woober Goober
        • Jun 2013
        • Dolores, CO
        • Retired
        • Send PM

The Chargers kept Pascale on payroll 1 year longer than they were required to, and he was NOT healthy enough to resume full coaching duties. Head Coaches nearly always get to name their own staff and Marty wanted to go with Lindsay. Still not seeing any evil done by Spani or Marty in this.
        Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• oneinchpunch
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by SDfan View Post
          The Chargers kept Pascale on payroll 1 year longer than they were required to, and he was NOT healthy enough to resume full coaching duties. Head Coaches nearly always get to name their own staff and Marty wanted to go with Lindsay. Still not seeing any evil done by Spani or Marty in this.
          Marty was already HC. Dale was already DC. Arnsparger was Assistant HC of the Defense. Pascale was in charge of Special Projects with the Defense.

Arnsparger retired and Pascale was not extended. One year away from pension. The team decided it was better to go with just Dale Lindsay and no longer provide him the help he had the first season. He ended up getting fired
          Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• Heatmiser
            HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

I was referring to the fact that he got screwed out of his pension (and probably medical in retirement). I think the Chargers did the right thing by keeping him on the payroll when he really could not work any more. But I don't understand the pension thing. And for all the things Marty is and is not, one he is definitely not is some inhuman monster. He seems to really care about the people he worked with, so I doubt he had a hand in Joe not getting retirement bennies.

TG
            Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Coachmarkos
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • SoDak
              • Technology Director
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Den60 View Post
              Yes, but I wonder if Bailey is quite the player he used to be. At his age you can start to fall off quickly. But you do have a point.
              Champ Bailey hasn't been "Champ Bailey" for a few seasons. Watch the games. He's a guy who is fine, a solid starter, but he hasn't been anything special for a while. Drives me crazy when announcers and commentators do this.

I also agree with zoom that Pagano has had a tough gig this year...I don't lay the blame at his feet...at least not all of it.

And I agree with TTK that I'd like to see a move to a 4-3. If you play a 4 man pass rush line over 50% of the time...???
              "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

• homeless simpson
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by SDfan View Post
                Head Coaches nearly always get to name their own staff and Marty wanted to go with Lindsay. Still not seeing any evil done by Spani or Marty in this.
                Marty wanted Kurt as DC, which Spanos disapproved of, but then only allowed him to have Brian on staff (Brian). Lindsey was hired because he was Seau's former LB coach during the Ross era (Lindsey was never a coach under Marty before being hired)

Comment

Working...
                X