• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Yubaking
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by BlazingBolt View Post
    We never saw a measurement....wait that it is another coaching mistake right there isn't it? Ask for a measurement before you decide.

Anyway to my eye it was long full yard.
    If it was a full yard, then I think we need to force them to go for it on 4th and 1. In that scenario, I think they would have punted. But, as I said, I don't think that was the case. (I certainly could be wrong, though.)

Comment

• homeless simpson
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Also McCoy passes up a Fieldgoal in the first half in order to run Woodcock up the middle of the black hole? WTF?!?!
      we called a timeout just to make sure we got the right play in for 4th and goal at the 1....single back draw play LOL

Comment

• Panama
        パナマ
        • Aug 2013
        • London
        • Opera singer and web developer.
        • Send PM

I think it was foolish to take the penalty and give the Raiders a free play . Huge tactical error. Bolts had all the momentum, they likely punt in that situation, if not make them put that on the line. They go for it on 4th down and miss they give us a short field in a one score game while our offense is moving and we have all the momentum. 3rd and 14 gives them a free play, of course they are going to try and convert that, why give them that chance? They were out of field goal range and McCoy gave them a free play to get closer instead of forcing them to gamble and go for it. Conceding you can't stop them on 4th and 1, and giving them a free play because your so scared you can't stop them and are afraid to even give them the opportunity to gamble and go for it, is chicken shit.
        I agree with you. But keep in mind, it was 4th and inches in no man's land. If I were the Raiders (Ick! I need a shower after typing that!) I would go for it, and we hadn't been able to stop the Raiders run game all day. I can't fault McCoy's decision too much because, while it was not the decision I would have made, he probably also figured the Raiders would go for it and preferred the defense's chances of stopping a 14-yard gain than a few inches. In the end, it doesn't matter because this defense is good for a couple of 3-and-outs per game and jack shit the rest of the time.
        Adipose

Comment

• Panama
          パナマ
          • Aug 2013
          • London
          • Send PM

Originally posted by oneinchpunch View Post
          Neither. There was no right choice
          Oh my God, we agree on something! noes:
          Adipose

Comment

• Panama
            パナマ
            • Aug 2013
            • London
            • Send PM

Except the raiders may have very well have punted and trusted their defense. They do have a defensive minded coach.
            Exactly why they would have gone for it. Allen would be sending a clear message to his defense that he trusts it with a short field if they fail.
            Adipose

Comment

• Panama
              パナマ
              • Aug 2013
              • London
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Yubaking View Post
              I think you are missing the fact that it was not 4th and one, but rather 4th and 3 inches. I would the puts the odds of our soft, weak, pathetic defense stopping the play at worse than 100 to 1. Even our soft, weak, pathetic defense has a better chance to give up less than 14 yards on a single play than it does not to surrender 3 inches.
              Shit, we agree on something, too? What's the world coming to? noes:
              Adipose

Comment

• KNSD
                Registered Charger Hater
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

My perspective is a bit skewed because I only saw the second half of the game, but the Charger defense pretty much shut down the Raider offense in the second half. Not really seeing a "bad, horribad Charger defense" running around on the field. They looked pretty damn good tbh.
                Prediction:
                Correct: Chargers CI fails miserably.
                Fail: Team stays in San Diego until their lease runs out in 2020. (without getting new deal done by then) .
                Sig Bet WIN: The Chargers will file for relocation on January 15.

Comment

• Panama
                  パナマ
                  • Aug 2013
                  • London
                  • Send PM

We never saw a measurement....wait that it is another coaching mistake right there isn't it? Ask for a measurement before you decide.

Anyway to my eye it was long full yard.
                  Agreed, we should have asked for a measurement, but it was damned close to being a first down, not at all a long yard.
                  Adipose

Comment

• Panama
                    パナマ
                    • Aug 2013
                    • London
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by homeless simpson View Post
                    we called a timeout just to make sure we got the right play in for 4th and goal at the 1....single back draw play LOL
                    Not that I agree with the call, but if Troutman hadn't been blown into the backfield, forcing Woodhead to take a wide path around him instead of exploding into a seam, it might have worked.
                    Adipose

Comment

• Panama
                      パナマ
                      • Aug 2013
                      • London
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by KNSD View Post
                      My perspective is a bit skewed because I only saw the second half of the game, but the Charger defense pretty much shut down the Raider offense in the second half. Not really seeing a "bad, horribad Charger defense" running around on the field. They looked pretty damn good tbh.
                      In each of the last two games, the defense has made pretty good halftime adjustments. This is one reason I find it so frustrating that people are harping on Pagano instead of the shit he has to work with. The defense was awful in the first half, though, making Pryor look like Joe Montana.
                      Adipose

Comment

• Big Dog
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Thought it was the wrong call at the time, I was like WTF?

I would go with our run defense over our pass defense at this point in time (not that it was much better). I also think Oakland would have punted it rather than risk it, with the poor footing on the field. Also, with a 4th and 1, Weedle and Addae come up into the box and their speed gives me pause if I'm Oakland.

Anybody else miss Tim Dobbins and Brandon Siler on those short yardage/goal line 4th and 1's ...

Comment

• WindsorUK
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jul 2013
                          • Windsor, U.K.
                          • Send PM

As historically bad as our defense is on 3rd and long, you decline the penalty.
                          Why the he** didn't our coaching staff ask for a measurement? You make the other rookie coach make the decision of going for it or kicking. Maybe they would have at east burned a timeout to think about it.
                          Still, we didn't play well enough to beat an inferior team.

Comment

Working...
                          X