Oh Boy...I'm gonna get nailed for this one.

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • QSmokey
    Guardedly Optimistic
    • Jun 2013
    • Kuna, Idaho
    • Retired
    • Send PM

Oh Boy...I'm gonna get nailed for this one.

Trade Rivers??

Yes, yes, I know...he is NOT the problem. In fact, he is one of the few bright spots in an already dismal season. But, he is 31. The team really does suck. We are going nowhere this year and next, at least.

There are a number of teams that would probably give us something for Rivers:

Houston; Minnesota; Cleveland

The Raiders' 'egg' could really be a turning point for this team this year. The once-thought-possible 7-9 win season (by many) might realistically be a 4-5 win season.

I think Houston would probably offer the best deal; Cleveland has 2 first round picks (and a couple of 2nds, too). Hoya is gone with an ACL, so he's probably out for a full calendar year. Minny is so desperate that they claimed Freeman off the street.

With a Top 5 pick looming (possibly higher), throw in a nice deal for Rivers, and grab yourself a new QB and a new LT. Then spend the rest of your draft picks on defense.

Sorry...somebody had to exhume this topic. Seemed especially appropriate this morning.
  • TABF
    Por debajo del promedio
    • Jun 2013
    • SoCal
    • Send PM

Regardless what happens this season, we have to "move forward" with some sort of plan for next year. Without PR17 to hang our hats on, where would you start? Trading PR17 would put us 2-3 years further behind.

Comment

• CTrout
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

I guess it depends on how big of a rebuilding you think this team needs. If you think a few additions here and there puts us back in playoff contention, then you keep him. If you believe this is a 2-3 year makeover, then trading him doesn't seem crazy. You'll get more for him now then you will any point going forward.

Comment

• TTK
        EX-Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • America's Finest City
        • Send PM

Comment

• Den60
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Sacriledge.

Comment

• oneinchpunch
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

It would go against everything being preached about winning this season.
            Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• Beerman
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Eastlake
              • Send PM

Didn't we already have this convo? Trading rivers won't help at all IMO. Build up the D and keep improving the offense.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
                Grammar Police
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Cut off your face to spite your nose???
                Go Rivers!

Comment

• floydefisher
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jul 2013
                  • siberiacuse, ny
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post
                  Trade Rivers??

Yes, yes, I know...he is NOT the problem. In fact, he is one of the few bright spots in an already dismal season. But, he is 31. The team really does suck. We are going nowhere this year and next, at least.

There are a number of teams that would probably give us something for Rivers:

Houston; Minnesota; Cleveland

The Raiders' 'egg' could really be a turning point for this team this year. The once-thought-possible 7-9 win season (by many) might realistically be a 4-5 win season.

I think Houston would probably offer the best deal; Cleveland has 2 first round picks (and a couple of 2nds, too). Hoya is gone with an ACL, so he's probably out for a full calendar year. Minny is so desperate that they claimed Freeman off the street.

With a Top 5 pick looming (possibly higher), throw in a nice deal for Rivers, and grab yourself a new QB and a new LT. Then spend the rest of your draft picks on defense.

Sorry...somebody had to exhume this topic. Seemed especially appropriate this morning.
                  Ok, and who in next years draft has 'can't miss franchise QB' wrote all over them?

Care to name names, because I don't see them.

Not against trading Rivers, but you need to have a plan moving forward before doing this deal. A ton of draft picks isn't enough, you need another QB waiting in the wings.
                  sigpic

Comment

• QSmokey
                    Guardedly Optimistic
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Kuna, Idaho
                    • Retired
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by floydefisher View Post
                    Ok, and who in next years draft has 'can't miss franchise QB' wrote all over them?

Care to name names, because I don't see them.

Not against trading Rivers, but you need to have a plan moving forward before doing this deal. A ton of draft picks isn't enough, you need another QB waiting in the wings.
                    That's Fleet's territory, but Teddy Bridgewater's name has been bandied about. Fleet has a couple more names he could supply, I'm sure.

The plan would be to keep the talent we have (all 8 of them ) and rebuild around that group, plus the new draftees. That would include a QB, of course.

A team like the Texans that's close - and whose window is closing - might actually present the best deal. Stockpile draft picks if you're not going to supplement with quality FAs.

Comment

• QSmokey
                      Guardedly Optimistic
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Kuna, Idaho
                      • Retired
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by oneinchpunch View Post
                      It would go against everything being preached about winning this season.
                      Honesty is a really good thing.

Comment

• QSmokey
                        Guardedly Optimistic
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Kuna, Idaho
                        • Retired
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Beerman View Post
                        Didn't we already have this convo? Trading rivers won't help at all IMO. Build up the D and keep improving the offense.
                        Yes...but this one is serious.

Texans are ripe for the picking, me thinks. They are going NOWHERE FAST with Schaub. Rivers could be just what they feel they need to get over the hump.

Comment

Working...
                        X