Oh Boy...I'm gonna get nailed for this one.

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • oneinchpunch
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

I just don't see it as being something this team will do. Not that I think it's a bad idea. It would certainly bum me out. And it's the type of move rebuilding teams should make. But I can't see it.
    Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• QSmokey
      Guardedly Optimistic
      • Jun 2013
      • Kuna, Idaho
      • Retired
      • Send PM

Originally posted by oneinchpunch View Post
      I just don't see it as being something this team will do. Not that I think it's a bad idea. It would certainly bum me out. And it's the type of move rebuilding teams should make. But I can't see it.
      Agreed. They would rather drag Rivers down with the ship. Like a golden anchor. But, why should that surprise us? This is the Chargers organization, after all.

Comment

• Beerman
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Eastlake
        • Send PM

I'd much rather extend Rivers. No rookie can do what he's doing in this offense currently. We just need to cut down on the mistakes and keep building on both sides o the ball. We need more low cost FA signings to build the team up.

Comment

• TTK
          EX-Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • America's Finest City
          • Send PM

This is why fans can't be GMs. We make snap decisions like this.

Let the year play out and see what direction this team is headed at the end of the year. Patience is a virtue.

Comment

• ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Dont see the sense in it. I'm not against that strategy but I think there's more positives on this team than it looks the day after a puzzling loss to Oakland. He's a guy to build around. With a QB like him things can come together quickly.

If they were going to do it, it would have been last offseason.

Comment

• BlazingBolt
              SLAM DUNK!
              • Jun 2013
              • East County San Diego
              • Bolt fanatic
              • Send PM

31 is not old for a qb. Makes zero sense unless we think he can't play.
              migrated from chargerfans.net then the thenflforum.com then here

Comment

• QSmokey
                Guardedly Optimistic
                • Jun 2013
                • Kuna, Idaho
                • Retired
                • Send PM

Originally posted by BlazingBolt View Post
                31 is not old for a qb. Makes zero sense unless we think he can't play.
                Tend to agree with first sentence. Disagree with the 2nd. If he can't play then you get nothing in return. If he's playing at a pretty high level - as he is now - then his value has skyrocketed, particularly for a desperate team like Houston. It would be a bold, bold move; almost certain to be universally criticized; and will empty the seats at Qualcomm. And this organization has never had the guts to something so aggressive.

But patience only goes so far. When Rivers is 34 - and his play has declined - and we still haven't won a SB, and we're looking for yet another coach and GM (not to mention QB)...we might all be looking back at "QSmokey's Folly" and shaking our heads mumbling "If we had only...."

Comment

• Charged up
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

I would be on board for doing something like that. But it's just wishful thinking. They would never trade away our franchise QB. Right now we'd get #1 and possibly more for him the market is right for PR right now.

Sadly our needs are massive.

We need: (in no particular order)

2 DE's edge rushers
                  2 Cornerbacks
                  1 RB
                  2 Olinemen
                  1 WR
                  1 SS

9 players in the hole... That is can only be corrected by aggressive trading and free agency. We are in for a rough few years. Rivers is on the downside of his career, we need to have an adequate developmental QB in the wings. That could be Brad Sorensen (fingers are crossed). I just don't see us being competitive for some time.

Comment

• SDFan
                    Woober Goober
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Dolores, CO
                    • Retired
                    • Send PM

the issue is dead to me DURING this season. No way the team runs up the White flag this soon and goes all Fire Sale and alienates what is left of the fan base. We're 5 games into what could be a Rivers Resurrection season. If he continues to play well all year- I agree his trade value will never be higher. Then maybe we're talking about getting a Cutler type compensation package for him again- and I would do that after this season and before the draft. If not, you probably extend him for cheap to get $ to sign more players, dump CBJ for Sorensen as #2 and get him a lot of reps in TC/Preseason and continue looking for a gem QB to polish as the future starter in training. This coaching staff has done some really nice things with limited resources and a creative offense, but I never expected them to skip all the growing pains with a 1st time head coach and talent limited roster (seriously, you expected to win in the NFL starting Harris and then replacing him with Becton at LT ?) and dominate THIS year. We need more quality starters on both defense and offense and maybe a new DC- but DAMN- the injuries to key players on this team over the last couple years makes me think there is a curse that needs to be exorcised at some point to win a Super Bowl.
                    Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• QSmokey
                      Guardedly Optimistic
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Kuna, Idaho
                      • Retired
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by SDfan View Post
                      the issue is dead to me DURING this season. No way the team runs up the White flag this soon and goes all Fire Sale and alienates what is left of the fan base. We're 5 games into what could be a Rivers Resurrection season. If he continues to play well all year- I agree his trade value will never be higher. Then maybe we're talking about getting a Cutler type compensation package for him again- and I would do that after this season and before the draft. If not, you probably extend him for cheap to get $ to sign more players, dump CBJ for Sorensen as #2 and get him a lot of reps in TC/Preseason and continue looking for a gem QB to polish as the future starter in training. This coaching staff has done some really nice things with limited resources and a creative offense, but I never expected them to skip all the growing pains with a 1st time head coach and talent limited roster (seriously, you expected to win in the NFL starting Harris and then replacing him with Becton at LT ?) and dominate THIS year. We need more quality starters on both defense and offense and maybe a new DC- but DAMN- the injuries to key players on this team over the last couple years makes me think there is a curse that needs to be exorcised at some point to win a Super Bowl.
                      100% agree with this assessment. I purposely left off the word "now" from my "Trade Rivers" scenario, not because I'd be against it necessarily (for a Cutler-like deal, as you say), but because it will never happen during the season.

I just had to throw a topic out there that was kind of a ridiculous. Seemed appropriate after a ridiculous loss.

Comment

• Wheels
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • San Diego
                        • Send PM

Count me in the no category as well. At his age, we still have a solid 4-7 year window. He's seasoned now, so we basically need to get the team in place around him. The problem with starting over at QB is that you have to get all the other pieces in place, and do it so that they all kind of coalesce at the same time. Think about LT, we wasted much of his brilliance because we were developing QB's. With Rivers in place, they just need to focus on the supporting staff. One other point is he's looked good in this new offense and it's his first year in it. He has room to get better running this new offense.

Comment

• oneinchpunch
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by charged up View Post

2 de's edge rushers
                          2 cornerbacks
                          1 rb
                          2 olinemen
                          1 wr
                          1 ss