• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • oneinchpunch
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Watched most of the Raiders game again. Liuget didn't look that bad.
    Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• sandiego17
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Rugger05 View Post
      I believe Rivers restructured at the beginning of the season, but I agree Weddle is a candidate to restructure.
      Rivers only moved 2013 salary to bonus, still think he's a candidate if the team chooses to go that route.

Comment

• Mr. Ray Dehaiter
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

I don't see our DL in the disarray that you describe. We have 3 pretty good 3-4 guys in Luiget, Thomas and Reyes. They are not the problem. The lack of speed on the OUTSIDE is a problem. Teams are just consistently attacking the flats and we have no answer. Not to mention we are getting out coached on defense a lot. We are playing way too much press coverage in crucial situations and we don't have the shutdown corners to do it. In short, I see the middle of our defense as just fine and growing. We need additional depth and LB and DL, but we need at least two starters in our secondary and will need at least one more at OLB next year.

Comment

• Bearded14YourPleasure
          Fluent in Sarcasm
          • Jun 2013
          • Iowa
          • Man of the People
          • Send PM

Right there with everyone else, agree with most of what you said Beerman. Some of the younger players obviously still have time to prove themselves one way or the other, but there is still a lack of talent on this team. I'm still torn as to where I want our 1st to go next year. We obviously need help rushing the passer but with Ingram coming back I view it as a toss up between LT and OLB. Lots of holes to fill on both side of the ball but with the underperformance of the D this year I think TT will lean towards that side of the ball in the draft.

Comment

• blueman
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Kinda liked how TT played FA: kept guys like Clary and Royal, brought in Woody and Lissemore. Cox was one of the better CBs available, Freeney at OLB too, can't fault him for trying. Dunlap and Rinehart have been great. Some little moves for depth have been meh, but what team bolsters it's depth as significantly as we needed in FA, with hardly any cap room?

Think he did pretty good considering, not sure where expectations play into assessing him but no one's thrown out any realistic alternate scenarios that I've seen. We're getting better, that's a good thing.

Comment

• Den60
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post
              Pretty good analysis, Beerman. Anyone know what the cap for the Chargers looks like next year? I know they are still eating part of Gaither and Meachem's dead money, right? But will the cap be as dire as it was this year?

TG
              We are over it as it stands right now.

Comment

• Den60
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by MakoShark View Post
                C'mon now. Do we even know what the cap is going to be next year? People on this board have already determined that next years draft will be a bust, TT will suck in his FA signings and we won't have the cap space to keep our core players. All this without knowing where we will pick in the draft, who will be available in the draft and as a FA or what the cap will be set at next year.

You guys must have one helluva magic 8 ball.
                It is not expected to rise a considerable amount. Currently we project at close to $126M. This year the cap was $123M

Comment

• oneinchpunch
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Den60 View Post
                  It is not expected to rise a considerable amount. Currently we project at close to $126M. This year the cap was $123M
                  And right now the Chargers sit around 118-119 according to a few sites. That leaves little room before cuts. Which will just create more needs
                  Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• TTK
                    EX-Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • America's Finest City
                    • Send PM

They should be able to create at least $10 million in cap room with a number of cuts I listed above. And more if they choose to extend/restructure any contracts (Rivers, Weddle, Clary).

Comment

• Den60
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by oneinchpunch View Post
                      And right now the Chargers sit around 118-119 according to a few sites. That leaves little room before cuts. Which will just create more needs
                      OTC has us at $125.9M. The $118-119M number does not take into account our dead money, which is about $7.78M.

Comment

• Beerman
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Eastlake
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
                        Kinda liked how TT played FA: kept guys like Clary and Royal, brought in Woody and Lissemore. Cox was one of the better CBs available, Freeney at OLB too, can't fault him for trying. Dunlap and Rinehart have been great. Some little moves for depth have been meh, but what team bolsters it's depth as significantly as we needed in FA, with hardly any cap room?

Think he did pretty good considering, not sure where expectations play into assessing him but no one's thrown out any realistic alternate scenarios that I've seen. We're getting better, that's a good thing.
                        I agree with most of what you wrote. I think this is a good way to go about FA with just a few budget signings that solidify the team for slightly more than vet min prices for younger players (that can potentially play themselves into an extension).

As has been mentioned, we won't have that much room without some cuts/restructures. We won't be handicapped, but we definitely won't be free spenders. 2015 is when we will see a significant amount of cap space (> 40 mil).

We can realistically sign 4-5 slightly better than vet min players (1-1.5 mil per) along with our draft picks to give us about 11-12 new players to work with, then work with UDFA's and vet min players. They could backload a contract if they choose to go with a bigger FA addition.

Comment

• oneinchpunch
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by TTK View Post
                          They should be able to create at least $10 million in cap room with a number of cuts I listed above. And more if they choose to extend/restructure any contracts (Rivers, Weddle, Clary).
                          I rather not create too many holes on the roster. Plus Im hoping its another offseason of bringing in 1 year free agents for cheap. Skip the multi year deals like Cox and Phillips got. Just keep it one year deals. Two at the most. Those 1 year deals are the guys TT hit on. The short termers. Then in 2015 start spending.
                          Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

Working...
                          X